Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Actors/ Actresses

ali smack

Who do you feel are the best actors/ actresses about?

I feel as if there are a lot of very underrated actors/actresses who are not as popular as the likes of people such as Ben Stiller, who IMO I don't rate that high as an actor.

Here are a list of who I believe to be best actors/actresses IMO in no order:

William Fichner, Robert Knepper, Robert DiNero, Robert Sheehan, Jeff Rawle, Lenny James, Iwan Rheon, Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Jamie Fox, Trevor Eve, Juliette Lewis, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp,

Honestly, the actors and actresses of today have not the depth of those from the early days of Hollywood. It would be nice to see the rise of the equivalent to Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Katharine Hepburn, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, or Audrey Hepburn. The closest we have in this day and age to Cary Grant would be Johnny Depp. And that's based on versatility alone.

• Like 1

Not a single mention of Daniel Day Lewis?

I guess that leaves me to post it...ahem.

Daniel Day Lewis.

Javier Bardem.

Harrison Ford.

Noomi Rapace.

Idris Elba.

Russell Crowe.

Bradd Pitt.

I could go on but I've writin' to do.

it's the consumer driven life versus art

there is a lot of highly talented actors out there today but they won't produce the expansive character based technically demanding movies that won't make money.

I wonder how many can sit through a screening of "Grapes of Wrath" with Russel Crowe, or "Singing in The Rain" with Hugh Jackman

Sean Penn stands out heads and shoulders but he's not alone. Jodie Foster, if you insists on male female nominees.

• 2 weeks later...

Dustin Hoffman

Michael Caine

Ben Kingsley

Geoffrey Rush

Diana Rigg

Sylvia Miles

Judy Davis

Naomi Watts

Toni Collette

Kate Winslet

Helen Mirren

Robert Powell

Alfre Woodard

Claire Danes

Alex Kingston

Daniel Day Lewis (during the '80s)

Denzel Washington

Edited by braveone2u

it's the consumer driven life versus art

there is a lot of highly talented actors out there today but they won't produce the expansive character based technically demanding movies that won't make money.

I wonder how many can sit through a screening of "Grapes of Wrath" with Russel Crowe, or "Singing in The Rain" with Hugh Jackman

Sean Penn stands out heads and shoulders but he's not alone. Jodie Foster, if you insists on male female nominees.

Hi third_eye,

It's the reason why we have HBO, BBC, WGBH Boston, Indie films, Art House, cable, etc. There's always a way around Hollywood. Many great shows are out there (that are not "personality" driven).

Peace.

• Like 1

I feel as if there are a lot of very underrated actors/actresses who are not as popular as the likes of people such as Ben Stiller, who IMO I don't rate that high as an actor.

Here are a list of who I believe to be best actors/actresses IMO in no order:

William Fichner, Robert Knepper, Robert DiNero, Robert Sheehan, Jeff Rawle, Lenny James, Iwan Rheon, Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Jamie Fox, Trevor Eve, Juliette Lewis, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp,

I'd go with some actors you mentioned, such as Robert DeNiro, Denzel Washington and Johnny Dep, but i'd add David Faustino as well. He's very good in my opinion :yes:

Philip Seymour Hoffman is vastly underrated!

• Like 1

Pete Postlethwaite

things are always better with Pete around, don't matter if its back in time or to the far reaches of outer space

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

William Fichner, Robert Knepper

I got to work with these two, William was an outstanding dude, Robert seemed to be more of a diva. Love William's acting.

Marlon Brando, James Woods, Gary Oldman, Sigourney Weaver and a bunch that have been listed

• Like 1

Pete Postlethwaite

things are always better with Pete around, don't matter if its back in time or to the far reaches of outer space

Yes! We all miss Pete. God bless his soul.
  • Like 1

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a one trick pony just like John Malkovich.

Yeah...because his roles in Boogie Nights, Along came Polly, and Capote are all pretty much the same role.

Right. The role he almost broke away from the seymour school of acting was Flawless.

Joe Pesci : the best one trick pony there is

• Like 1

Johnny Debt, William Dafoe, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Leo Dicaprio, Natalie Portman and a whole mess of others.

Robert Downey Jr and Scarlett Johansson. Even in the dross Avengers franchise they shine. Did anyone ever see him in Chaplin? Just brilliant.

• Like 1

I just saw Gary Oldman on TV ... he's won something for best on screen villain before haven't he ? If not I suggest we give him a UM Screen Actors Award for best lifetime Achievement for contributions to the art of Personifying Screen Villains.

Nominations ?

Hear Ye Hear Ye ... all in favor say ... it

aye

• Like 2

I just saw Gary Oldman on TV ... he's won something for best on screen villain before haven't he ? If not I suggest we give him a UM Screen Actors Award for best lifetime Achievement for contributions to the art of Personifying Screen Villains.

Nominations ?

aye

only one i know of is a saturn award for dracula, either way i love gary oldman loooved his work in the professional

• Like 1

Joe Pesci : the best one trick pony there is

LOL, Joe Pesci! He's totally underrated -- Very funny and yet, bratty dangerous with an Oscar on his belt. Excellent choice, third_eye.
  • Like 1

Nominations ?

aye

Well yeah, Royal Shakespeare Company -- count me in. Talk about body of work, literally. From vampire to mutants... Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 1

Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep are acting royalty, and an argument can be made that they're the King of Actors and Queen of Actresses in our generation. I have a list of favorites that is too long to type. It extends from Humphrey Bogart to Paul Newman to Robert De Niro to Sean Penn to George Clooney to the next big thing. That's just my list for *American* actors.