Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptozoology Project

MechPenProdigy

So, I'm a member of the Slippery Rock Paranormal Club at Slippery Rock University. We are hosting a big event to try and recruit members. I am working at a table dedicated to cryptozoology, and I need to come up with five cryptids commonly discussed in Native American lore. At the moment, I will be discussing the Thunderbird and the Wendigo. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

• Like 1

Thunderbird and Wendigo are good. Also, to some degree, Sassquatch (Bigfoot). Also, as mentioned in the linked thread, Piasa Bird. And then there is the Shunka Warakin, which is like a wolf-hyena hybrid like critter.

• Like 2

Sasquatch, is probably one of the better known. The First People of America were already familair with Bigfoot, "the hairy giant" long before the European invasions, Thunderbird again is another popular cryptid along with the Skinwalker, in many Native tribes, the Navajo especially believed in the shape shifting Skinwalkers.

Edited by xsas
  • Like 1

The Honest Politician? Talked about and wished for, for millenia, but never actually seen. :(

Good Luck, MechPenProdigy!

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

The moth man is a good crypto but I'm not sure how long its been doing the rounds for you would have to look it up. :unsure2:

• Like 1

Skinwalkers are really good, The Jersey Devil actually has some connections to Native American history if you want to give that a go

• Like 1

Skinwalkers are really good, The Jersey Devil actually has some connections to Native American history if you want to give that a go

I know stories of the Jersey Devil date back to Native American folklore and the Lenape tribes of the Pine Barrens and I know members of the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape and non believe or know of any encounters of the Jersey Devil.

The Jersey Devil started as an hoax written by Benjamin Franklin in 1730's in his 'Pennsylvania Gazette'. to mock witch hunts In 1730's I believe it was published in the 'London Gentleman's Gazette'.

• Like 1