Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Return of the Draft / HR 748 (Merged)

Simbi Laveau

http://beta.congress.../house-bill/748

All Americans between the ages of 18-25 ,to perform military service ,or service to a governmental institution ,with stipulations during war time .

Sure sounds like the draft to me .

Edited by Tiggs

Before anyone freaks out: the guy's been trying to introduce the bill for years as I understand it...

Its also part of whats called the selective services process that in the future may qualify males for federal or government jobs.

It can help in getting security clearences for future employment.

So its not just for the draft or time of war.

Also why some polititions are pushing for a bill for young women too have the same.

Edited by Talion

Strange. That would only reinforce our 2nd Amendment and it came from a NY-D. Since it says Federal,State,Local, Community based entity or organization I can find some positives in that Bill.

We need our young adults to learn a good work ethic and become more responsible. Instead of lost. But it would shake up the College education system pretty drastically. Unless they were paying jobs that still let you attend school its a nonstarter.

And make not the mistake if the draft were needed numbers would be called. So far theyve been doing fine by redeploying National Guard and Regular units and not instituting a regular draft which would be extremely unpopular.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

Well that's a tantalizing gem of information. All 18-25 year olds have to put in some time for Uncle Sam, and that could be military or civilian application. I can already guess what the military would be like, probably much the same as it is now, but really smacking more of a draft.

But I do have to wonder what the civilian aspect of this would entail. Government, state, local, community based.. That's an awful lot of coverage.

I'm not getting my nickers up, this is just interesting.

Indeed. But comparing it to a draft would be somewhat misleading as we already have that. It is more akin to compulsory service akin to Sweden and Israel.

• Like 1

Strange. That would only reinforce our 2nd Amendment and it came from a NY-D. Since it says Federal,State,Local, Community based entity or organization I can find some positives in that Bill.

We need our young adults to learn a good work ethic and become more responsible. Instead of lost. But it would shake up the College education system pretty drastically. Unless they were paying jobs that still let you attend school its a nonstarter.

And make not the mistake if the draft were needed numbers would be called. So far theyve been doing fine by redeploying National Guard and Regular units and not instituting a regular draft which would be extremely unpopular.

It says federal state and local,except in times of war. That's the draft .

Indeed. But comparing it to a draft would be somewhat misleading as we already have that. It is more akin to compulsory service akin to Sweden and Israel.

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or as civilian service in a Federal, State, or local government program or with a community-based agency or community-based entity, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to provide for the registration of women under the Military Selective Service Act, and for other purposes. has not been received.

Not compulsory .All must serve. Or so it says .

Bah, it's short enough, I'll CCP it for everyone....

Edit: *snip* Oops, Simbi beat me to it :)

Edited by rashore

Large font but not a wall of text. Oh it shrunk itself. Musta jumped into a cold river.

H.R.748 - To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or as civilian service in a Federal, State, or local government program or with a community-based agency or community-based entity, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to provide for the registration of women under the Military Selective Service Act, and for other purposes.

Edited by AsteroidX

lol...x3 ccp in a row.

compulsory .All must serve.

arent those the same thing ?

Edited by AsteroidX

Reinstituting the draft is probably the last thing pols would want to do. Such an uproar would follow that real justification would be required before sending forces into hot zones. *gasp* congress might actually have to declare war to enable the use of forces. As far as the local community service, I can see the usefulness of that if the young people are being trained for some kind of skill during their service. The CCC back prior to WWII did the same thing and paid them while they worked and learned. The nation could use just such a system right now, but these days they would have to have legal authority over the "conscripts" before they could instill any discipline in many of them. Our young people have become quite casual about everything but their "rights". Not all of them of course, but very many would find real discipline to be an arduous thing.

• Like 2

Was looking for if Congress needed to declare war before a draft could be instituted and came across this old gem

Elbridge Gerry, a delegate from Massachusetts, summed up the majority viewpoint saying he "never expected to hear in a republic a motion to empower the Executive alone to declare war." George Mason, Thomas Jefferson, and others voiced similar sentiments.[8]

But I do have to wonder what the civilian aspect of this would entail. Government, state, local, community based.. That's an awful lot of coverage.

I'm not getting my nickers up, this is just interesting.

cooks, cashiers, house keeping, candy stripers,( CAs and CNAs) all those summer temp forestry jobs that no one wants because they are temp jobs with no benifits. All the low income federal jobs that we the ( little) people are now getting paid to do could be done for much reduced costs by draftees.

and if they can pump out enough solders they would not have to send people out for three of four combat deployments which might help with medical problems for some ( this is the thinking anyway your less likely to get ptsd after 1 combat deployment than after 3 )

Edited by mysticwerewolf

As soon as I believe our government is by and for the people, and protecting our rights above all else I will have less of a problem with this. Until that time I salute this garbage legislation with my middle finger. They allow corporations easy ways to avoid taxes, to ship production jobs over seas, take away rights, revoke posse comitatus....etc....etc.....and want us to feel obligated to serve them?????? F___Y__!

• Like 2

It's not a bad idea, really, if you consider it. However....

If this to be done again, then perhaps in more helpful manner, at least 10 to 20% of all elected representitives MUST also serve in the military to show solidarity with the people who employ them. It would fair, and then they could for once really understand their consitituents. And to be even fairer, the more fitter will be required to do front line work, and not get a cushy posting.

Let's be honest, that would never happen!

If this to be done again, then perhaps in more helpful manner, at least 10 to 20% of all elected representitives MUST also serve in the military to show solidarity with the people who employ them.

Nah, just the Secretary of Defence.

In the same way the Head of the education system needs to have been a teacher, ideally less then ten years before they were elected.

And the head of the health department needs to have been a GP.

As soon as I believe our government is by and for the people, and protecting our rights above all else I will have less of a problem with this. Until that time I salute this garbage legislation with my middle finger. They allow corporations easy ways to avoid taxes, to ship production jobs over seas, take away rights, revoke posse comitatus....etc....etc.....and want us to feel obligated to serve them?????? F___Y__!

Exactly. I'll move to Canada before I hand over my boys to these dirt bags. There is no way in hell Im handing them over to these corupted war mongers.

I'm all for the basic concept of this. I think everyone coming out of high school should serve a compulsory 2 years (as some other countries do). But coming from a Democrat (especially Rangel) shows a lack of understanding in one's mindset. The Democrats desire to cut the defense budget in order to pay for welfare and Entitlements. They can't afford to add more people to the Defense ranks. In order for me to support this though, I have one caveat. When these youth take the oath, that it doesn't change from what it is now. They pledge their allegiance to this nation and they only obey the President because he is Commander-in-chief and that they are still liable to question any unlawful order which would violate their oath.

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The question is, what will constitute the terms of service? I don't think it should be simply conscripts to fill in holes in the front line troops. That is what the Guard and Reserve are for. These two years should be a boot camp where the cadet learns how to march, team work, shoot, and physical fitness. Beyond that, there will be instruction in American history and the Constitution. And from that they will take entry level college courses in English, math, science, and engineering. Other things could be some kind of Volkssturm, CCC, or Peace Corps. The ultimate would be an armed Peace Corps that can go anywhere and perform any task and defend themselves very much like the SeaBees. After a natural disaster or an invasion, they can go in and rebuild the infrastructure and provide stability for the society.

After that two year period, they can then choose where to go. Either into the Armed Services or to college. Sort of the basic concept for Starfleet. And then further, in line with Robert Heinlein, this compulsory service will lead to citizenship and the right to vote. That will weed out the low information voter.

• Like 1

http://occupycorpora...ervice-program/

Earlier this week, House Representative Charles Rangel has introduced HR 748 that will “require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or as civilian service in a Federal, State, or local government program or with a community-based agency or community-based entity, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to provide for the registration of women under the Military Selective Service Act, and for other purposes.”

HR 748 has been brought forth to the House Armed Services Committee(HASC) are instrumentalin the implementation of the annual defense authorization bill; as well as the functionality of the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Energy (DoE).

Edited by Eonwe

It works for other countries.

Maybe it'll work for America. And remember, "civil service" could be as simple as "resurfacing roads one day a week" or "working in a library".

• Like 1

This is similar to what the CCC did in the years between the '30s and WWII. The difference being that the CCC was a volunteer force. It sounds a good idea, depending on how they define "and for other purposes". A conscript group that could be used as a paramilitary organization would be outrageous, for example. But an organized group that refurbishes housing for the poor or teaches literacy in inner cities..not so bad :)

• Like 1

As if we werent already slaves to the system, now you want 7 years of my kids lives? Oh hell no.

Well glad i am already at the cut-off age for this.I think all my tax dollars that have been shoved into politicans pockets that should have went to pay for them to hire people to do these things has been a sufficient enough contribution to society.

• Like 1