Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human race is losing inteligence.

Professor T

Intelligence is a tough one to measure, but over the years it has pretty much been determined that potential intelligence -- what one can have under optimal conditions -- is largely an inhereted trait.

Deprive a child and he or she will be stunted, not just in growth but in all aspects of development. Disease and emotional events can also have an effect. I suspect there is also an effect from the quality of the education, although this is debated.

All these things come and go, but generally have been improving, so if anything we should be getting smarter. It isn't visibally happening, which tells me we are probably close to optimal now.

I tend to agree that deprivation of childrens education is a big problem, and that development is being stunted by the likes of disease, emotional events... Am kind of surpised no one in this thread has mentioned the "Vacination" theories out there that claim that Children being vacinated causes issues in development... There may be some truth to it.. Dunno..

I personally don't think that Intelligence has been pinned down to optimal conditions, potential, and I certantly don't believe it can ever be measured to the point of even finding an optimal level. Nor is it imo an inherited trait.. Sure we do have people who are born at a disavantage because of genetic abnormalities, but we measure their intelligence against their ability to perform, communicate and interact in our society. We cant measure (as far as I'm aware) their congition at a conscious/experience level from within.. In many cases____am thinking autistic prodigies here___ what society calls a disadvantage turns out to be miraculous abilities & intelligence that is something the rest of society is surprised & inspired by.

We are far to dependent on technology to do the simple things for us. Most folks need a calculator app to know what 7 X 8 = ....it's sad.

Wanna talk about discounts and percentages?...most folks cannot figure out what 20% off a 10.00 dollar item equals....pathetic.

I hope this thread finally reaches the conclusion that modern technology has dumbed down huge numbers of people...so we can move on to other topics...this section of the board has been dead and this blatantly obvious conversation just plugs along....we get it...human beings are stupid and rely too much on technology now...move along herds...cu50829ad5.gif

hr50829b12.gif

Describing the obvious does not fix it....how about some suggestions to fix the issue...or better yet...find something else to b!tch about....

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

I call bull on the concept humans are somehow losing intelligence for the simple reason of more people on earth now are literate and have more access to information than at any other time in history. Nutrition, education, access to medical care, prenatal care all contribute to intelligence and are at the highest level of access to the most people than ever before historically speaking. It is easy to say we are getting less intelligent but what was the average IQ a hundred years ago or five hundred years ago or a thousand?

More of something does not necessarily mean better.As has been stated it is not what one learns but what they retain and how/if they put it to good use.

People many years ago had more children per person than most do today,they did this for survival.To have more help around a farm and to make sure if some died there would be others to help carry on.Fast foward to present time we have those who have figured out that having more children gets them more money on a welfare check.Which is better?

1 suggestion i have jeremiah is instead of people specializing in just one area throughout their education,instead branch out into several different areas.With the way our current educational system is set up though this would be almost impossible.Most now days also do not care to learn because everything is just there at the touch of a button,just having the ability to look at something then type it does not make one educated on the subject.Back when people had to know how to raise animals,grow vegetables,work the land, and build things just my opinion but that made them smarter they actually understood what they did because they had first hand experience doing it.

1 example i do not claim to be the smartest person alive,some on this forum are smarter than me on several subjects.I have never just specialized on 1 area though.

My example anyway,my uncle went to college for 8 years has a very good job and is damn good at his job.I have 2 years of college but do something other than what i started college for because i enjoy it more and i still have it to fall back on at some point if need be.My uncle can tell you everything there is to know about his field but has no clue how to work on a car,no knowledge on any house repair,couldnt cut a tree down without it falling on him,is stunned when i grow vegetables,and many more things outside his field.These are all things i can do and more yet he has to pay others to do these things for him.He is the quintessential educated idiot as i said great at his field but not much else.

• Like 2

lol speak has a big contribution to loss of intelligence.

• Like 1

lol speak has a big contribution to loss of intelligence.

FWIW, LOL. OTOH, OMG. ;) You and I are on the same screen. "Idiocrish" is used more than English.

of course we are lossing it, watching tv, internet and gulping pop corn, potato chips and colas, most of our free time, we definately are the potato couch civilization = big bellies no brains.

Those who do all those things probably never "had it." Progress always has and always will depend on just a few.

I do those things on all my free time.....but of course I don't really have all that much free time(I think we can all agree that we are losing time just for ourselves), but hey that's life :P

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

I do those things on all my free time.....but of course I don't really have all that much free time(I think we can all agree that we are losing time just for ourselves), but hey that's life :P

Good point, although I don't, so it's easy for me to look down on those who do. Trouble is it is not because of any excess of virtue in me, but an excess of boredom and dislike that keeps me pure.

It's like everything else, a matter of perception. Like text speak, I see is a more efficient way to write what you want. Using it on your cell phone to communicate instead of whole words is more intelligent then using the longest vocabulary words when you have a character limit. Any factor, that people said I can link some positive benefit to it, when it comes to intelligence.

Intelligence is one of those things that will always boggle my mind because you can find it almost any where but it isn't very common, and not set to one distinct set of attributes, yet you will always know it when you see it.

wrong conclusion from the right deduction but anyway its because the world's minds have become to lazy due to tech advancements

I don't think entertainments like computer games and TV have nearly the mind-numbing effect of poor nutrition and child labor, so we should over all be smarter.

yes i believe that and that is what is happening right now as a matter of fact too!!!always watching t.v and non sense.like for example Angelina jolie got a new nose job or just got a new baby from china or etc.really guys and people you call this news.or another example this and that just got divorced who gives a damn people.stop living the life's and watching the life's of others start living your for once watch and hear real news.i will tell this you won't hear real honest news from the mainstream media and etc.you people gotta watch alternative real honest news and radio stations.here's a quote for all humanity and title of a book as well."excuse me your life is waiting"you make life happen to you not life happen to you!!!wake up humanity read real books,read more,get off your couches and etc and be active and let these celebrities live their life's.here's something else do you think the famous people really care about you???you people call these role models??? and finally stop buying these things and materialistic items just because these role models or famous people have them.are you being yourself???

Edited by Andromedan Starseed 333
  • Like 1

The internet has helped us commuicate more efficiently. This new techonology has helped us do things at a quicker rate than before. That's true, but it has also made us lazier and more distant from people. I mean, am I the only person of my age that would enjoy talking face to face to someone or call them over the phone, then through text? Texting is annoying, it's impersonal as hell and it's just words on a screen, it can be misinterpreted so much. And plus, it's just a major pain for me. Bad things have happened to me because of texting. lol, uh, yeah.

What's the point of having unlimited talk minutes that you NEVER use? It's silly and I know a lot of people that have that.

Edited by Leona Lewis
  • Like 1

The internet has helped us commuicate more efficiently. This new techonology has helped us do things at a quicker rate than before. That's true, but it has also made us lazier and more distant from people. I mean, am I the only person of my age that would enjoy talking face to face to someone or call them over the phone, then through text? Texting is annoying, it's impersonal as hell and it's just words on a screen, it can be misinterpreted so much. And plus, it's just a major pain for me. Bad things have happened to me because of texting. lol, uh, yeah.

What's the point of having unlimited talk minutes that you NEVER use? It's silly and I know a lot of people that have that.

Those are good points. Many people still prefer calls over texts. Facebook and Twitter can't replace outings and visits with good friends. One wonders if technology also lowers our emotional intelligence. It might impact how we communicate with people during conversations in real life. It might even impact our literary and verbal proficiency. For instance, they say that letter-writing is a lost art. Technology improves our lives in many ways, but it should never replace honest human interaction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Internet and whatever other technologies are temporary. What matters long term is the human gene pool. And with the less intelligent breeding more and the more intelligent breeding less, it is obvious that we are slowly receding.

There really is nothing to argue. This will continue until there is a paradigm change.

• Like 1

I dont think "but hey that's life" is the solution.

• 6 months later...

FLOURIDE IN THE WATER

My honest opinion.

Maybe that's just you?

Internet and whatever other technologies are temporary. What matters long term is the human gene pool. And with the less intelligent breeding more and the more intelligent breeding less, it is obvious that we are slowly receding.

There really is nothing to argue. This will continue until there is a paradigm change.

I think this is largely offset by the tendency of the stupid to kill themselves off early.

I think this is largely offset by the tendency of the stupid to kill themselves off early.

Not usually before they have kids.

It doesn't help that people dumb themselves down by outsourcing daily life challenge that require just a little effort and thought...

examples...

Tap starts leaking..... (call a plumber)

Light bulb wont work.... (call electrician)

Lawnmower wont start.... (call mechanic)

Simple little life challenges that with a little thought and perseverance can be intelligently worked through and fixed by themselves are often outsourced to other people. The end result is people like some I have known, who just cannot intelligently work through simple problems..

I knew someone who would ring an electrician each time a light-bulb blew.. True story there.. If people outsource their intelligence without even trying to fix the problem first, then they are simply dis-empowering their own intelligence.

Are we really surprised by this? You only have to watch television quiz shows and hear some of the totally inane answers given to simple questions, the kind that people of a more mature age ( that is people who have lived most of their adult lives without the social media which now exists) can answer with ease. Yet give them a question about the "soaps", the X Factor, big brother and similar drivel on TV and lo and behold they get the answers correct! I think a large number of people have actually given up thinking and with a lack of thought processes there is obviously a lack of intelligence. The days of having conversations with other human beings has been replaced by staring at a device with a screen in your hand, playing a game on it or telling the whole world you've had a bacon roll for your breakfast. This device can answer all your questions without you having to think. It corrects your bad spelling and your poor mathematical skills, it remembers things for you so you don't have to use your brain to remember them yourself.

And we wonder why the human race is losing intelligence?

• Like 1

Years ago I used to watch Jay Leno when he would ask people on the street questions out of a 4th grade text book. I remember some of the funnier answers.

Q: How many moons does the Earth have?

A: Eight

Q: What country is north of the US?

A: Europe

The issue is what we do with our minds. People don't have to think. Videos are like TV. The brain is turned off and into a sponge collecting all of the junk without filtering out the nonsense. The internet has made it possible for everyone to publish and junk is published as quickly or even more quickly than sensible material.

Wacko ideas such as crop circles, 2012, remote viewing, telekinesis, morgellons, Bosnian pyramids, Nibiru, expanding Earth, hollow Earth, a third human gender, fluoride scare, anti-vaxing, chemtrails, channeling, etc. use the internet to make people stupid. It's rather interesting to watch people get dumbed down by the claims of the spiral seen over Norway being a sign of destruction. Or maybe it is claims of the existence of crystal or indigo kids with 12 strand DNA or wackos teaching Egyptian gods how to properly meditate as being believable that is a clear sign that some people have some screws loose.

I would like to think that those that are nutty are a vocal minority. Frankly, I have a biased life since I think that others around me are much better educated than I am. I don't mind scrambling to keep up with my associates.