Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nihilism

Drayno

What are your thoughts on Nihilism?

"The universe, and all of us, have entered live into simulation, into the malefic, not even malefic, indifferent, sphere of deterrence: in a bizarre fashion, nihilism has been entirely realized no longer through destruction, but through simulation and deterrence. From the active, violent phantasm, from the phantasm of the myth and the stage that it also was, historically, it has passed into the transparent, falsely transparent, operation of things. What then remains of a possible nihilism in theory? What new scene can unfold, where nothing and death could be replayed as a challenge, as a stake?"

JEAN BAUDRILLARD - SIMULACRA AND SIMULATIONS - XVIII. ON NIHILISM

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/jean-baudrillard/articles/simulacra-and-simulations-xviii-on-nihilism/

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drayno

• StarMountainKid

• ReaperS_ParadoX

• SirMorgenStar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd consider it a form of depression. You have to create your own meaning in life.

So, would you consider life meaningless?

So, would you consider life meaningless?

Life can definately seem meaningless at times, But I dont think it is meaningless

I was thinking of writing, "I'd reply to this thread, but what's the use?" or something like that, but even that reply means something. I should have not even made the effort to reply, or better, not have read the OP at all.

I don't know of any intrinsic meaning to life other than life itself. If life is its own meaning then I think all is well. I don't have to add anything to life. This may be the best way to live, just breathe.

We seem to want to add lots of extras to life, and these extras give us life's meaning. I think this is the way it works, anyway. Thing is, this method gets us into a lot of trouble along with the various meanings we may pick up along the way.

I think in the end, though, it's what we leave behind when we die that's important. The problem with this attitude is, after we're dead for a few moments, no one remembers we were ever alive in the first place.

Maybe a few do, but we all know life must go on for them, and pretty soon our life fades into their background. So maybe it's just giving life to someone else that's important and meaningful. I like this idea because if I have to suffer through all this and try to think of some meaning to put to it, it's pleasing to think I created someone else who is going to have to ponder the same difficult questions for themselves.

After all, why should I be alone in suffering over unanswerable questions? This is sort of like getting back at the universe for creating me. Here's my progeny, universe, here's another example of what you do. Shouldn't you be ashamed of yourself?

Edited by StarMountainKid