Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bullies and victims never recover

Still Waters

Children who are bullied at school grow into adults with an increased risk of anxiety disorders, depression and suicidal thoughts, the findings show.

The US study, based on 20 years of data from more than 1,000 individuals, is the most thorough yet looking at the long term psychological effects of bullying.

It shows that the impact of bullying is not something easily outgrown and forgotten.

http://www.telegraph...er-recover.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashyne

• libstaK

• Bonecrusher

• Frank Merton

So it is with all psychological torture, messes with the cranium.

Bullied people sometimes become bullies themselves for different reasons, at least I'm sure some do.

Bullies are the lowest of the low. But most get away with it

Bad things that happen to a person in their childhood write on the slate of who they will become as adults. All sorts of negative experiences that a child goes through will impact who they become as an adult. This is just another reason why society needs to nurture and protect children better.

I think that any time one's behavior is disharmonious with the environment, including people in it, one loses karma. Now, how to put this in modern non-mystical terms. When you do bad, you change yourself in little ways (sometimes not so little) that make doing badder easier for you to do in the future. You set yourself off on a downward spiral.

The thing is, the worse you get, the more likely it becomes that you will get caught and meet with consequences -- the law, stronger bullies, parents, society, ostracism -- lots of things like that tend to even the scale.

I think that any time one's behavior is disharmonious with the environment, including people in it, one loses karma. Now, how to put this in modern non-mystical terms. When you do bad, you change yourself in little ways (sometimes not so little) that make doing badder easier for you to do in the future. You set yourself off on a downward spiral.

The thing is, the worse you get, the more likely it becomes that you will get caught and meet with consequences -- the law, stronger bullies, parents, society, ostracism -- lots of things like that tend to even the scale.

I think you are explaining the law of entropy here and you are right imo.

• Like 1

Well I've been a victim of playground bullying...

But I'm not certain if I've fully recovered from the experience.

At that time people were not that clued up on Aspergers.

However I had an unstable upbringing under my dad anyway.

Not exactly the most condusive of environments.

Edited by Medium Brown

No sh**. I am a prime example of this. Bullied and beaten all throughout primary and secondary school by 1/3 of every class I was in. After school, parents sent me to day care centre for kids until it was time to take me home. Got bullied and beaten by kids there the entire time too. Went home, got beaten by both parents with a cane and leather belt all the way until I was 16. At 21 years old, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Schizoid Personality Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia and At-Risk-State for Psychosis. Now I am a 23 year old recluse with not a single friend both online and offline, never had girlfriend, never went on a date, never had a close friend (let alone best friend), never was close to family or relatives either, and never had a job other than compulsory military service which, though almost impossible, I got kicked out of because of my many problems. 3 failed suicide attempts, lost interest in every hobby I ever had. Turned to deviant interests and fetishes, prostitution, smoking, binge eating. Doubled my weight in 6 months. Over 200, 0.5 to 1-cm long scars on my arms from self-cutting with a penknife. Recurrent nightmares every couple of days for years of the same traumatizing memories of being abused. This is the sh** bullying does to people.

Edited by Ashiene