Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is 'pasta' French enough for Quebec?

glorybebe

Quebec's language watchdog is backtracking after demanding a chic Montreal Italian restaurant change its menu because Italian words such as "pasta" were too predominant.

The Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) said it may have been over-zealous in its attempt to promote French language in public places.

"The office will consider this restaurant's particular situation while taking into account exceptions relating to foreign specialties," said the OQLF in a release late Wednesday.

Massimo Lecas, owner of Buonanotte said he was contacted by the OQLF on Valentine's Day.

He said he was told the menu contains too much Italian.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/02/20/montreal-language-pasta-translation.html

And Quebec wonders why the rest of Canada is frustrated with them. A province that needs 'language police' is absolutely too arrogant for words. How is this acceptable in this day and age? Is this not prejudice?

• Like 4

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ranslation.html

And Quebec wonders why the rest of Canada is frustrated with them. A province that needs 'language police' is absolutely too arrogant for words. How is this acceptable in this day and age? Is this not prejudice?

Le - whatever...... they seriously employ people to do this kind of work there? I can understand the desire to keep the language from being too badly mauled and to maintain cultural integrity but REALLY? While at the same time they have millions of Muslims intentionally weakening the same cultural heritage on the soil of France itself?
  • Like 1

Le - whatever...... they seriously employ people to do this kind of work there? I can understand the desire to keep the language from being too badly mauled and to maintain cultural integrity but REALLY? While at the same time they have millions of Muslims intentionally weakening the same cultural heritage on the soil of France itself?

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. I find it against everything that being a Canadian stands for.

• Like 2

word wars. Ill get my dictionary out glorybebe. Let me know what you need. Ill research it.

Pasta has a bad shelf life anyways. Beans and rice are better for you.

• Like 1

Oh how I hate the government of Quebec. Dont mind the people, worked with some good Quebecois... but seriously they need to stop with the language thing. It's nearly making it illegal to speak anything but Quebecois.

• Like 3

I thought they were French speaking ?

word wars. Ill get my dictionary out glorybebe. Let me know what you need. Ill research it.

Pasta has a bad shelf life anyways. Beans and rice are better for you.

why thank you! Now I need to think of something....how about 'blood pudding' en francais? My 'c' doesn't have the little tail thingy.

• Like 1

I thought they were French speaking ?

Quebecois french is actually full of slang, some Native words and some English thrown in to totally change the language. When the Prime Minister of Canada me with the President of France they needed translators.

I have a friend whose husband went to Quebec on business and the waiters in restaurant wouldn't even help him with the menu. In the south we just call that RUDE...not sure how you say THAT in French, and really don't care :w00t:

• Like 3

I have a friend whose husband went to Quebec on business and the waiters in restaurant wouldn't even help him with the menu. In the south we just call that RUDE...not sure how you say THAT in French, and really don't care :w00t:

I have experienced some rude Quebeckers. What's funny is the attitude change once they live out west for a bit, they start putting down other Quebeckers and say how rude they are! IMO, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Of course, with any culture, there are some awesome people who are from Quebec, too, it's just the others give them all a bad name.

• Like 1

I have experienced some rude Quebeckers. What's funny is the attitude change once they live out west for a bit, they start putting down other Quebeckers and say how rude they are! IMO, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Of course, with any culture, there are some awesome people who are from Quebec, too, it's just the others give them all a bad name.

I had a very interesting, though drunk, conversation with a seperatist one time in Quebec. I actually had him seeing my side and agreeing with me alot of the tiem lol. But ya in quebec if you dont speak french with a quebec accent, or they know your anglo then they generally dont treat you all that well (except in Montreal). They even treat Ontario and Manatoba French speakers bad. Though when Quebecois go to France they are treated poor there soo. I think its a french thing.

~Thanato

I had a very interesting, though drunk, conversation with a seperatist one time in Quebec. I actually had him seeing my side and agreeing with me alot of the tiem lol. But ya in quebec if you dont speak french with a quebec accent, or they know your anglo then they generally dont treat you all that well (except in Montreal). They even treat Ontario and Manatoba French speakers bad. Though when Quebecois go to France they are treated poor there soo. I think its a french thing.

~Thanato

Well, it is some kind of 'thing' anyways :w00t: . I find it frustrating. They were all for seperating and then Canada said they would not still get Federal funding, they would not be able to use Canadian money, they would have to print their own AND anyone born in Quebec would have to have a passport to travel in the rest of the country....yeah, they stayed.

Edited by glorybebe

blood pudding'

Blood pudding is a edible meal made out of the blood of an animal and other ingredients. I cant make it myself.

this is the translation I get:

black pudding

n.

A French black sausage made of pork and seasoned pig's blood. Also called boudin noir.

• Like 1

Yeah our west is pretty solid. Biggest problem we really have TBH is immigration. Fuzzy math and all that.

I have experienced some rude Quebeckers. What's funny is the attitude change once they live out west for a bit

Blood pudding is a edible meal made out of the blood of an animal and other ingredients. I cant make it myself.

this is the translation I get:

thank you for the translation....it still doesn't sound appetizing to me, lol. But I DO eat escargot, pork hocks, jowls and piggy puffs.

Edited by glorybebe

thank you for the translation....it still doesn't sound appetizing to me, lol. But I DO eat escargot, pork hocks, jowls and piggy puffs.

I thought those were a Southern black thing?

I thought those were a Southern black thing?

NO! LOL, a German dish, we cook the pork hocks in sauerkraut and then you eat them with boiled potatoes and butter. Smoked jowls instead of bacon, much more tender, but much more fattening. They are a once or twice a year thing. The Piggy Puffs are deep fried pork rind that you buy in the chip section in our grocery stores. I was raised on a farm where you didn't waste much, so we ate a lot of weird stuff.

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 1

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. I find it against everything that being a Canadian stands for.

You would be an American if it wasn't for the French.

You would be an American if it wasn't for the French.

No, I would be an American if England hadn't kicked the French's arses.

• Like 1

Blood pudding is defiantly not an American dish.

NO! LOL, a German dish, we cook the pork hocks in sauerkraut and then you eat them with boiled potatoes and butter. Smoked jowls instead of bacon, much more tender, but much more fattening. They are a once or twice a year thing. The Piggy Puffs are deep fried pork rind that you buy in the chip section in our grocery stores. I was raised on a farm where you didn't waste much, so we ate a lot of weird stuff.

Yup, those sound kind of like traditional soul food. I love Piggy Puffs, but we just call them pork skins. I could eat a mountain of them but limit it to twice a year on special occasions when I can get them fresh.

• Like 2

Yup, those sound kind of like traditional soul food. I love Piggy Puffs, but we just call them pork skins. I could eat a mountain of them but limit it to twice a year on special occasions when I can get them fresh.

Yup, my brother-in-law thought we were all weird until he tried them Now he loves them.

• Like 1