Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flawed F-35 Fighter Too Big to Kill

questionmark

and is ridiculously heavy and enormous. Like modern military Aircraft, can you imagine how much it would add to the national Debt if one was to be lost in action?

Each unit cost $207 million. To put that into perspective, the Australian Air Force is spending $1.5 billion on upgrades to their Super Hornets.

$8bn to send a probe to mars Vs $400bn to build a plane that doesn't fly, doesn't really sound like much of a benefit to the economy if you ask me.

Unless you happen to be one of the tens of thousands of folks drawing a paycheck because of the program.

That's also what Democrats say about welfare programs!

Yes, but the Democrats are wrong.

Unless you happen to be one of the tens of thousands of folks drawing a paycheck because of the program

'tens of thousands'??

I think you overestimate the number of people who work on the development of a new aircraft man!

Each unit cost $207 million. To put that into perspective, the Australian Air Force is spending $1.5 billion on upgrades to their Super Hornets.

yes, on 71 aircraft (assuming we're talking about the original ones rather than the Super Hornets, which were only new in 2010); that's rather more cost-effective than 207 Million each.

'tens of thousands'??

I think you overestimate the number of people who work on the development of a new aircraft man!

i don't know, according to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopaeida, Lockheed Martin has 123,000 Employees, although obviously they wouldn't all be employed on the White Elephant- i mean, F-35 project. And then there's all the subcontractors, engines, electronics & so on.

Lockheed Martin has 123,000 Employees, although obviously they wouldn't all be employed on the White Elephant- i mean, F-35 project.

only a very small proportion of them would be working on the lightning, with it only being one of the thirty-odd different aircraft they manufacture.

but my original point that $400bn is w-a-a-a-y too much money to spend on a single plane's development still stands.

imagine how much more beneficial it would be for the money to go to cancer research instead?

I remember all this when Eurofighter was being developed. Over budget, weather flight problems, years behind schedule and it still lacks effective air to ground capability as it is still in development.

Funny how people rave about it now and have started on the F35

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon

Unfortunately things go wrong developing next generation fighters.

Edited by skookum

'tens of thousands'??

Initial development perhaps, but these planes are built and flying. Once it gets to that stage, there are tens of thousands of people relying on the project for their livelihood. From the lead engineers to the guy running the lunch truck parked outside the manufacturing site.

So with the 400 billion we already spent and the thousands of jobs it provides, we are all in agreement with the OP. It is too big to kill. Is this a safe assumption?

• Like 1

So with the 400 billion we already spent and the thousands of jobs it provides, we are all in agreement with the OP. It is too big to kill. Is this a safe assumption?

Yeh, but wait, in about 5 minutes they will be screaming about 100 million in non-corporate welfare.

you know the old adage about grabbing a tiger by its tail....?