Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster-sized goldfish breeding in Lake Tahoe

Still Waters

Monster-sized goldfish up to a foot and a half long are being pulled from Lake Tahoe in what officials are calling a case of aquarium dumping.

The massive bright red and orange fish are feared to be steadily multiplying in the waters of Sierra Nevada after managing to survive after released into the wild by humans.

Christine Ngai, a researcher who frequents the lake hunting invasive species, notably the largemouth bass, says the numbers found are astonishing and potentially devastating to the lake's ecosystem.

http://www.dailymail...-aquariums.html

This really sucks.....I lived in Reno,Nevada most of my life, and Lake Tahoe was a almost every weekend thing. The lake is very pretty, very clear. It has Mackinaw, and trout, and Kokanee Salmon.

Now that some idiot dumped goldfish in there, ( and large mouth bass ) you can tell your grand children how the lake used to be crystal clear, and had a abundance of Salmon and Mackinaw. But that was the past, because stupid humans are selfish, and do not think about the future.

People suck......

The lake can not be poisoned, it is the water source for Sparks, Reno, and Fernely. It is the second deepest lake in the USA, so really, there is no way to stop this threat.

At least I was able to see Tahoe when it was natural, and clear.

• Like 1

That's terrible, yeah people can do some really dumb things. I wonder if those goldfish are even good to eat?

LOL, nice photoshop job.

That is not photoshopped. Goldfish grow big, if given room. They are carp.

I built a Koi pond, put in 50 1/2 inch " feeders "....18 months later, 20 survived, and were up to a foot long. These are your typical goldfish you see in small tanks, or aquariums.