Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead Mice Are Going To Be Dropped On Guam

Still Waters

Here's the latest plan scientists have come up with to kill some of the estimated 2 million brown tree snakes that have wiped out many other animals on Guam:

In April or May they're going to lace dead mice with painkillers, attach them to little parachutes, drop them from helicopters and hope that they get snagged in the jungle foliage. Then, if all goes well, the snakes — which as their name implies hang out in trees — will eat the mice and die from ingesting the painkillers' active ingredients.

http://www.npr.org/b...icopters-really

• Like 4

Once again, humans bring in animals that were not naturally there. 9 out of 12 birds now extinct, pigs and deer ( non-native ) are destroying the ground.....

We are a cancer.

• Like 2

Once again, humans bring in animals that were not naturally there. 9 out of 12 birds now extinct, pigs and deer ( non-native ) are destroying the ground.....

We are a cancer.

Or just another animal species that moves around a lot, but nah, that doesn't paint us in the worst possibly light.

• Like 3

Or just another animal species that moves around a lot, but nah, that doesn't paint us in the worst possibly light.

Read the article.....Pigs and Deer did not hitch rides.

Edited by Sakari

It's not like the snakes were introduced on purpose. I'm surprised, with all of the air and ship traffic, Hawaii or Ireland hasn't had the same problem. That was one of the reasons I loved wandering through the woods in Hawaii though. I didn't have to worry about snakes like I do at home.

Read the article.....

Accidentally introduce a snake species that's killed off a lot of birds and now we're trying to fix it?! Does humanities hubris know no boundaries?! D:< -this is sarcastic anger-

• Like 2

Read the article.....Pigs and Deer did not hitch rides.

True, pigs and deer did not. Animals species go extinct when shizz like this happens all the time, when continental movement pushes continents together, should we keep all the animals separate? Or is it just the simple fact this is cause by 'MAN' that it's wrong? We're as natural as any of the other animal species, even if we don't seem like it.

• Like 3

should we keep all the animals separate?

[media=]

[/media]

;)

Many countries have pretty strict animal control at their borders, Australia and New Zealand is very restrictive IIRC.

IIt's quite amazing that we haven't had more serious issues than we already have in the world with animals and insect, like the Killer Bees incident.

• Like 2

True, pigs and deer did not. Animals species go extinct when shizz like this happens all the time, when continental movement pushes continents together, should we keep all the animals separate? Or is it just the simple fact this is cause by 'MAN' that it's wrong? We're as natural as any of the other animal species, even if we don't seem like it.

Heaven forbid, when people have moved from one continent or island to another, over thousands of years, they bring their preferred food or pets. For the most part, who knows what belongs here or there over the years.

• Like 1

Heaven forbid, when people have moved from one continent or island to another, over thousands of years, they bring their preferred food or pets. For the most part, who knows what belongs here or there over the years.

I know one thing though:

ALL HUMANS. BACK TO AFRICA. NAO.

• Like 2

I know one thing though:

I aint going back to Africa, you crazy >.>
  • Like 1

I know one thing though:

That's right...according to some we should never have left. ;)

It is the simple fact of when " Man " get stupid.....

Look at Florida, the Python mess....

Lake Tahoe, goldfish....

Bighead and Silver Carp in the midwest to south....

Feral Pigs across the US, including Hawaii....

Invasive Animal Species

At least 25 non-native species of fish have entered the Great Lakes since the 1800s, including round goby, sea lamprey, Eurasian ruffe, alewife and others. These fish have had significant impacts on the Great Lakes food web by competing with native fish for food and habitat. Invasive animals have also been responsible for increased degradation of coastal wetlands; further degrading conditions are resulting in loss of plant cover and diversity.

zebramussels.jpg

Zebra Mussels

Non-native mussels and mollusks have also caused turmoil in the food chain. In 1988, zebra mussels were inadvertently introduced to Lake St. Clair, and quickly spread throughout the Great Lakes and into many inland lakes, rivers, and canals. Since then, they have caused severe problems at power plants and municipal water supplies, clogging intake screens, pipes, and cooling systems. They have also nearly eliminated the native clam population in the ecosystem.

Goarse, introduced on the Oregon coast from a man that thought the Swedish plant was pretty is a huge issue..

I could go on and on, it is pure stupidity, and it will destroy the natural wildlife, and the eco-system.

Read up on it, see for yourself.

We are not as " natural " as everything else. We are educated ( some ) and know the cause and effects of this issue, yet, some people do not care and ignore the facts.......If we were " natural " as other things, we would know better " naturally " .

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

It is the simple fact of when " Man " get stupid.....

Look at Florida, the Python mess....

Lake Tahoe, goldfish....

Bighead and Silver Carp in the midwest to south....

I could go on and on, it is pure stupidity, and it will destroy the natural wildlife, and the eco-system.

Well, let's just kill all of the men, women and children with a plague and be done with it. That'll fix everything!

Well, let's just kill all of the men, women and children with a plague and be done with it. That'll fix everything!

Not all of us, but most. It will fix a lot of things, and it would be " natural ".....

Mother Nature has a way of population control, we as humans keep finding ways around it, but history shows, it will happen, one way or another. If we do not destroy our home ourselves first.

Not all of us, but most. It will fix a lot of things, and it would be " natural ".....

Mother Nature has a way of population control, we as humans keep finding ways around it, but history shows, it will happen, one way or another. If we do not destroy our home ourselves first.

Yes, and in a thousand years after this plague you keep talking about, when man has repopulated, these "invasive species" will be natives to the environment. The whole ecosystem will have changed and no one will know the difference.

You really don't know how ridiculous you sound do you?

Edited by Michelle

You really don't know how ridiculous you sound do you?

Coming from you, not very.

I am not saying anything that about 99% of the educated population feel. If you can not see how we are destroying the environment, ourselves, and especially the future for our children, and grand children, I do not know what to tell you. It is all fact, not my opinion.

Hoping for a plague, or disaster to cut our population down may sound ridiculous to some, but not me. Just how I feel every time I see the News, or open up my home page.....Starving families, homeless people, lack of jobs, greed, holy wars, police states, psychological mass killings, oil spills, animals going extinct, etc,etc,etc.....

Aside from me saying the plague thing, I hope you can see how we, as humans, are destroying countless things, and there are just to many of us to go around.

Yes, and in a thousand years after this plague you keep talking about, when man has repopulated, these "invasive species" will be natives to the environment. The whole ecosystem will have changed and no one will know the difference.

So, what you just said is that is ok to just **** things up, because some time in the future, it will all just be " natural "........

Now how ridiculous is that?

Personally, I want my kids, grand kids, their grand kids, to all be able to go Salmon fishing, go see wildlife ( not in a zoo ), and be able to experience the world as we were able to. Not to only read bout it in books because we were selfish.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Coming from you, not very.

I am not saying anything that about 99% of the population feel. If you can not see how we are destroying the environment, ourselves, and especially the future for our children, and grand children, I do not know what to tell you. It is all fact, not my opinion.

According to you we need a plague...you say it often enough. Now, according to you, you speak for 99% of the population of the earth. I've been a tree hugging hippy for longer than you have been alive and I've got news for you, a lot people don't see how we are destroying this planet. I fail to see how you can hope for a future for children with no parents, if you think all of the children will be spared and we should all be taken out by Mother Nature's plague or a meteor. By the way, don't you think the majority of animals would be killed in a meteor strike too?

What is the age, according to you, everyone should be annialated or saved? Should that include people, like me, who have spent their life rescuing animals, farmers who provide your food? Just where do you draw the line in this utopia you dream of on who is killed?

According to you we need a plague...you say it often enough. Now, according to you, you speak for 99% of the population of the earth. I've been a tree hugging hippy for longer than you have been alive and I've got news for you, a lot people don't see how we are destroying this planet. I fail to see how you can hope for a future for children with no parents, if you think all of the children will be spared and we should all be taken out by Mother Nature's plague or a meteor. By the way, don't you think the majority of animals would be killed in a meteor strike too?

What is the age, according to you, everyone should be annialated or saved? Should that include people, like me, who have spent their life rescuing animals, farmers who provide your food? Just where do you draw the line in this utopia you dream of on who is killed?

As I said, the plague part may sound ridiculous, but I do feel that way. I honestly feel we are over populated, and I could post 100's of facts showing this.

Yes, my opinion of a human population control may be nuts to some, or most, who knows, I know a lot agree with me.

On the 99%, I meant feel that we have to many people, and we are destroying everything, not that 99% want a event like I do.

In reality, if a plague came, plagues do not pick and choose, many would die. It would be sad, but it would be beneficial for the future. Yes, if we could come up with " population control " ourselves, I would prefer that, but it would need to be world wide.

In a fantasy world, if I had a choice, people like you that save animals should be the ones surviving, so people like you can instill important things to the future generations, things that the majority have forgotten about.

As I said, the plague part may sound ridiculous, but I do feel that way. I honestly feel we are over populated, and I could post 100's of facts showing this.

Yes, my opinion of a human population control may be nuts to some, or most, who knows, I know a lot agree with me.

On the 99%, I meant feel that we have to many people, and we are destroying everything, not that 99% want a event like I do.

In reality, if a plague came, plagues do not pick and choose, many would die. It would be sad, but it would be beneficial for the future. Yes, if we could come up with " population control " ourselves, I would prefer that, but it would need to be world wide.

In a fantasy world, if I had a choice, people like you that save animals should be the ones surviving, so people like you can instill important things to the future generations, things that the majority have forgotten about.

We are far from being over populated, especially in the US. We have thousands upon thousands of miles of nature preserves and farmlands. Simply because people choose to live in congested areas doesn't mean we are running out of room. Some of us have to worry more about bears breaking into their cars than thieves and it isn't because we are taking over their territory. They have found out there are easier pickings around people's houses than in the woods.

Thank you for granting me immunity though.

We are far from being over populated, especially in the US. We have thousands upon thousands of miles of nature preserves and farmlands. Simply because people choose to live in congested areas doesn't mean we are running out of room. Some of us have to worry more about bears breaking into their cars than thieves and it isn't because we are taking over their territory. They have found out there are easier pickings around people's houses than in the woods.

Thank you for granting me immunity though.

I know the bold part.......This is my " back yard ".....Nothing but forest for a while, actually all around.

156290_530138850331893_592676895_n.jpg

As for being over populated, lets just say we disagree, unless you want to get into a discussion on it. ( friendly )......I will make a topic and see how it goes. Not sure how much I will put in, unless it is active.

And anyone that has a heart for animals is respected highly in my book.......... :tu:

• Like 1

I know the bold part.......This is my " back yard ".....Nothing but forest for a while, actually all around.

156290_530138850331893_592676895_n.jpg

As for being over populated, lets just say we disagree, unless you want to get into a discussion on it. ( friendly )......I will make a topic and see how it goes. Not sure how much I will put in, unless it is active.

And anyone that has a heart for animals is respected highly in my book.......... :tu:

That is a beautiful picture. Our property borders government park property and we take great pleasure in the wildlife that visits our yard. :tu:

• Like 1

Here's the latest plan scientists have come up with to kill some of the estimated 2 million brown tree snakes that have wiped out many other animals on Guam:

In April or May they're going to lace dead mice with painkillers, attach them to little parachutes, drop them from helicopters and hope that they get snagged in the jungle foliage. Then, if all goes well, the snakes — which as their name implies hang out in trees — will eat the mice and die from ingesting the painkillers' active ingredients.

http://www.npr.org/b...icopters-really

I believe, I may have seen this island and the snakes covered on a couple of documentaries, it looked infested when I watched it a couple of years ago, I bet you can't move for them now.

For anyone who has spent time on Guam, one inevitably does come across these snakes where they have really taken over in areas of the island decimating some of the native species of birds as well as even gotten into homes. How does one undo the human error associated with accidentally transporting such an uncontrolled species? Tough decision.