Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
sgroclkc

Why do we have nightmares?

64 posts in this topic

Interesting: I have neither palpitations nor nightmares. I guess that proves exactly nothing. The worst that happens to me is that I routinely fall out of bed (several times a week) so that I have had to put my mattress right on the floor). It happened last time while I was dreaming I was having fun on a trapeze. The doctor tells me that sleep paralysis doesn't always work with everybody, but I don't sleepwalk or anything like that.

Usually my dreams are just being in a pleasant place with friendly people around, generally strangers, and I just look around the place. If anyone has any observations I would appreciate them, although I'm not worried or anything.

You have nightmares frank, you just don't remember them. Luckily for you, you have embraced the pleasant parts of life so your mind simply focuses on that. Your Buddhist philosophy has served you well.

Falling out of bed.... hahahahaha. I once through a heel kick while sleeping. Problem was that I just had surgery on that knee..., ouch!!!

It seems like I get nightmares every time I sleep. It's not like the usual monster nightmare, but more like a very intense dream, where I think and feel like I am awake. Usually when I wake up the first time I have the visuals of me being close to sleep and then something bad happens. Sometimes someone tries to kill me, but that's seldom. When I wake up the second time I dream about my past and I feel sick, when I wake up. Then I have to do something, turn on the lights, turn on audiobooks or TV. After that I wake up, suffering from real nightmares, the nightmare without a nightmare, the real life. It tends to last hours until I realise I am awake. All the time, I just want to wake up.. even now, I just want to wake up.

Nightmares come from the powers of darkness.

Although German scientists Wilhelm Wundt thought that dreams were caused by stimulation of palpitations, abdominal distensions, urgent urinations and other objective things, he did not clearly indicate nightmares were caused by palpitations, and even did not give a satisfactory and convincing explanation to the reasons for nightmares. In addition, he did not have any mysterious insights, unlike the Freud's mysterious theory of dream without scientific basis as well as Freud's popularity due to capturing people's curiosities, his correct opinions failed to receive wide attention. A paper published in Chinese Scientists 1996 proposed that nightmares were caused by palpitations, and the two most common nightmares were caused by the two most common reasons of palpitations. After giving satisfactory explanations to nightmares, someone from another country also published papers online in 2002, and proposed that nightmares were caused by palpitations( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-145666.html). However, he also did not give any further satisfactory explanation, so his correct opinions also failed to receive wide attention.

Why do we have nightmares? Because we reject things which makes us scared and so it reveals itself in dreams. We are ignoring problems or feeling powerless or scared.

1 person likes this

All dreams are the objective things in human brain reflection. For example, the sound of the radio may be incorporated into the content of a dream; The noisy at night when sleep will cause a dream of sound of thunder; The dreams of searching toilet is caused by a full bladder. Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings.

Rubbish. Liquids are emotions in dreams, and just like the physical body needs to get rid of toxic liquids, the mind needs to get rid of toxic (bad) emotions. This is a problem for many people, for everyone in our society. Toilet dreams are about the need to get rid of these toxic emotions. sometimes one cannot find a toilet; sometimes one can find toilets but they are blocked and overflowing; sometimes one cannot find a toilet that is private --- all these dreams and others concerning toilets are portraying the person's problems trying to get rid of bad feelings.

2 people like this

Why do we have nightmares? Because we reject things which makes us scared and so it reveals itself in dreams. We are ignoring problems or feeling powerless or scared.

A nightmare is showing you what you are afraid of. That is the point: to show you WHAT IT IS that you are afraid of. But the images are not literal. I used to have recurring nightmares about dinosaurs. They represented a fear of authority. Among the reasons dinosaurs were used to represent that fear was because my view of authority figures was to see them larger than life, to experience them as "weighty" (the full weight of authority) and to feel threatened by authority figures as though they would actively hunt me to harm me. I have dealt with this fear. I no longer fear authority. I no longer have nightmares. During the process of developing a better attitude, my dreams reflected my development by featuring ever smaller, ever less harmful, dinosaurs. In fact the process has gone so far that the last dinosaur dream I had, far from being a nightmare, depicted a small, baby dinosaur being walked on a lead like a pet dog.

I used to dream about atomic bombs when I was a kid. I still do once in a while. My brain on loose running wild I guess. Seems to do that lot.

What about dreams that comes true ? What about those who s dreaming about little monsters biting them and wake up with bite mark all over their bodies? So i dont think dreams are brains reflections of the things we do ! But some other world that somehow we all are connected . I often hear stories about ppl dreaming the same dream and they see eachother in the same dream talk to eachother ! So why do we have dreams ? I think it is beyond our understanding ! I had some horrible dreams that also came true ! Dreams are unlogic untill it comes true!

I hardly have night mares anymore...

I guess because I know demons and monsters are not as crazy as they show them in the movie...

The question is like in Batman Begins..

what do you fear Mr. Wayne ?

Posted (edited)

Rubbish. Liquids are emotions in dreams, and just like the physical body needs to get rid of toxic liquids, the mind needs to get rid of toxic (bad) emotions. This is a problem for many people, for everyone in our society. Toilet dreams are about the need to get rid of these toxic emotions. sometimes one cannot find a toilet; sometimes one can find toilets but they are blocked and overflowing; sometimes one cannot find a toilet that is private --- all these dreams and others concerning toilets are portraying the person's problems trying to get rid of bad feelings.

That's an interesting thought?

I've had numerous toilet dreams.. Mostly they're about toilets in unusual places, toilets that are blocked, toilets that are out of order, hard to find, or err, removed during the day time to safe of costs??? I Have never really analyzed this aspect of the toilet theme.. This makes perfect sense... Thanks.. Light-bulb moment!

Edited to add.. As for the OP, sorry, but I disagree.. All Dreams are just as,if not more important than real life.. They are imo a bridge to understanding things greater than ourselves if one chooses to develop the one and only thing we take from us when we are gone... our consciousness.

Edited by Professor T

That's an interesting thought?

I've had numerous toilet dreams.. Mostly they're about toilets in unusual places, toilets that are blocked, toilets that are out of order, hard to find, or err, removed during the day time to safe of costs??? I Have never really analyzed this aspect of the toilet theme.. This makes perfect sense... Thanks.. Light-bulb moment!

Interesting response which reminds me of a response I had a few years ago. I had interpreted 3 or 4 dreams for a friend. The next dream she walked into a shop and switched on a light switch near the door, and then watched as lights came on one after another down all the aisles and in other rooms. Interpretation here is simple: the dream was portraying the expressionj "lights are coming on all over the shop".

The westerners might not understand such a thing. Since I made a remarkable scientific discovery on solving the mystery of nightmare in 1992, published the paper, and many Chinese people are introducing my sights on nightmare reasons, yet why the Chinese people do not officially acknowledge my research achievement up to now ?This is because China is a dishonest society since the ancient times. Of course, the Western countries are not definitely an absolute society. Just as the German scientist Planck said,“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”In addition, my insights on nightmare is published on the Western website in English in 2006, no Western people officially acknowledge my achievement up to now . For all Western experts studying nightmare, once I published my insights on nightmare on their blogs, and after they realized their insights on nightmare were wrong, they would close the blogs or would not answer the blog netizens' questions again. So far, no one officially admits the mistakes. However, at least some Western experts have said that my insights on nightmare are great on the Internet, yet no Chinese people have said my insights on nightmare are great on the Internet. At least no recognitionof the Western scientific achievement is obtained from interpersonal relationship, whereas all scientific achievements in China are obtained from interpersonal relationship. It is common that at least the Western countries officially acknowledge that a stranger's insight is a new scientific discovery, yet such a thing never happens in the scientific history of China ! No Chinese people would officially acknowledge or comment the scientific achievements of strangers who are familiar yet beyond their network of relationship. Even Lu Jiaxi, Tu Yoyo and other Chinese scientists' major scientific achievements are not recognized by the Chinese people for decades, just because they do not have good relationships with other Chinese people. Even when the Western people have recognized their scientific achievements to be great new scientific discovery, there are still no Chinese people to officially acknowledge the scientific achievements of these scientists. Until under strong pressure from the Western people, the Chinese people finally officially recognize these Chinese scientists' scientific achievements! How weird it is ! At least, the Western countries won't call a man who proposes new insights as a crazy man or psychotic. By contrast, when an ordinary man proposes a new scientific insight, regardless of its scientific values, numerous Chinese people would call this people as a crazy man or psychotic. Nevertheless, if such a new scientific insight is proved to be wrong, people will deem such wrong insight as a scientific joke and publicize everywhere on the Internet after condemning. If such a new scientific insight is proved to be correct and has scientific values, no Chinese people will deem such correct insight as a scientific joke and won't publicize everywhere on theInternet after condemning. For example, no Chinese people deem my insight on nightmare as a joke and publicize everywhere. As everyone knows, even a small newscientific discovery or new breakthrough is also great. Besides, whether a new scientific insight has scientific values is irrelevant to whether he has published papers or whether he has been proved by experiments. In Western countries, no onedares to deny the scientific values of a stranger's scientific insight by lying that “Your insight is merely a small scientific discovery or you haven't published any paper or you haven't do experiments to confirm your insight”. In China, to deny a stranger's scientific achievement, every Chinese people dare to deliberately lie! In addition, the Chinese people never expose such lies, even there are numerous Chinese people showing supports to those who deliberately belittle the stranger's scientific achievement with these lies, slander and abuse this stranger with various vicious languages together. I published my insights on nightmare in English with syntax errors on the English website, no Westerner would misunderstand my insight, that the nightmares are caused by cardiovascular disease symptoms, to be nightmares are caused by cardiovascular disease. However, in China, I publish my insight in native language that nightmares are caused by cardiovascular disease symptoms, numerous Chinese people deliberately misunderstand my insight into nightmares being caused by cardiovascular disease, then say that the insight of nightmares being caused by cardiovascular diseases is definitely wrong, and call me as a crazy man or a psychotic. At least once the Western academic journals publish a paper of a stranger or a reference to a stranger's academic insights, some people will officially acknowledge or comment on this paper's insights. Even there are Chinese academic journals publish a paper of a stranger or a reference to a stranger's academic insights, no Chinese people will officially acknowledge or comment on this stranger's insights! For example, I also published my paper of insights on nightmare in Chinese journals, lots of Chinese people also make reference to my insights on nightmare, but no one officially acknowledge or comment on my nightmare insights up to now! I am fully aware that if I only promotemy insights on nightmare to the Chinese people, my scientific achievement of nightmare insights will never be officially acknowledged; if I promote my insights on nightmare to the Western people, at least there is hope to be officially acknowledged. That is why I publish my insights on nightmare with non-standard English on English websites over the past six years.

There are two main types of scary phenomenons in sleep(nightmare and sleep paralysis) that are caused by two main scary symptoms of cardiovascular disease {palpitation and fainting (syncope)}.