Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

paranoral and ghosts

Jerek

I had a thought everyone who experiences a ghost and or the paranormal always says its from beyond the grave. WHY? Who's to say its not another unknown life form, or some kind of technology not known to the general public? I was curious on what others think about this.

• Like 1

Well that's kind of the crux of the problem, isn't it?

If something can't be proven to exist, then how do you even know that's what you're encountering?

Someone can say something is a ghost. Well I can just as credibly say it's an alien, an astral projection of bigfoot, Nessie wanting me to believe it's a ghost through telekinesis, a demon, an elf, slenderman, etc. etc.

Edited by Rafterman

I think people try to explain the ghost phenomena with a lot of other things than just dead people. Other paranormal explanations. Lots of mundane explanations. Speculations in tec.

I don't think its some kind of technology creating ghosts . due to the fact of how long people have experienced them

The paranormal won't be explained till people are ready to except it. Just by the sheer volume of evidence out there.

Even if you think 99% is faked or explain able. That leaves 1% that s real

• Like 1

Most ghosts that people see are of people who are known to have died. People see the ghosts of dead loved ones, dead friends, dead work colleagues, or fmaous dead people like the headless ghost of Anne Boleyn. It is for that reason why the obvious explanation for ghosts is that they some of them are the actual spirits of dead people (actualy intteligences) and some of them are what are known as the stone tape theory.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 2

Welcome to UM Jerek. It's my belief that the soul enters into another dimension after death and that that dimension {among others} exist on the same plain as our own, and occasionally overlap to reveal what we call unexplained, or paranormal events. No I cannot prove the existence of other dimensions { or even the human soul for that matter}, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

• Like 2

I've seen from time to time that people interpret the paranormal differently as to what it means and how it happens and such. There's not a whole lot we can prove about ghosts since ghosts themselves aren't 100% proven.

...so much evidence that even if 1%... Honestly there is zero credible evidence. Give me some ghost footage like the meteor footage in Russia, clear, time stamped, and from a couple if different devices, and I will consider calling it evidence.

Please, and I mean sincerely, show me even a sniggit of that 1% of good credible evidence. People will say....but humans have seen ghosts from the beginning of time! Well humans have had imaginations (wild ones, we made nukes and went to the moon) since the beginning of human time.

I have only seen 2 cases that genuinely intrigued me in the "ghost realm" one was pointed out here by a fellow skeptic, it's about that flat in london with the lady and her 3 kids, some real scientists were invovled and there was a tad bit of credible research. The other was something experienced by a friend IRL but that one while pretty interesting still pointed to the mundane.

So I'm all "ears" show me some o' that 1%.

Welcome to UM Jerek. It's my belief that the soul enters into another dimension after death and that that dimension {among others} exist on the same plain as our own, and occasionally overlap to reveal what we call unexplained, or paranormal events. No I cannot prove the existence of other dimensions { or even the human soul for that matter}, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

Really,... THAT is what makes the most sense to you?!!

I've seen spirits that were merely out of their bodies while dreaming.

• Like 1

It makes more sense than completely discounting all incidents of the paranormal.

• Like 1

I’ve had plenty of dreams that seemed real but I would know I was dreaming because I would be in my bedroom but it would be different something would be out of place or something in the room would be slightly different than in the real world. So people who say they leave their bodies, how do they know it’s a dream? Has anyone ever met with someone else to prove it was real? Because honestly it just seems too good to be true…

It makes more sense than completely discounting all incidents of the paranormal.

You are not alone. Lots of people assume that if they cant perceive a naturalistic cause for an event, it must be paranormal. But just because we cant explain every and all stories we hear and read about does in no way leave the door open for ghosts, monsters, ET visitation and other paranormal phenomenon to be real. We hear stories about UFOs, ghosts and monsters all the time,... What you make of them depends very much, I think, on your prior convictions.

Here are a couple of links I hope you will find interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

http://www.skepdic.com/

I do think in critical terms until something is beyond scientific or at least reasonable explanation. The truth is that science cannot explain everything that happens in the human experience no matter how hard the skeptics{ who sometimes argue just to be arbitrary}, try to convince otherwise. Also on the wikepedia link it stated, that the paranormal is that area that lies outside of normal sciences ability to comprehend.

• Like 1

I do think in critical terms until something is beyond scientific or at least reasonable explanation. The truth is that science cannot explain everything that happens in the human experience no matter how hard the skeptics{ who sometimes argue just to be arbitrary}, try to convince otherwise. Also on the wikepedia link it stated, that the paranormal is that area that lies outside of normal sciences ability to comprehend.

Scientists have a "problem" with the paranormal for the simple reason that it cannot be proven legitimate, because instances of their existence cannot be recreated in a laboratory. Paranormal experiences are not a constant. It is not like adding one part oxygen to two parts hydrogen to create water. Most of the time all we have are blurry pictures/videos or a very cool story that offers nothing more than believe it or not. That famous leap of faith is required. There never seem to be anything substantial for scientists to work with.

Every time proponents of the paranormal has been invited to deliver proof of x paranormal phenomenon they have failed miserably. And believe you me, people have tried. The James Randi foundation has for about ten years offered 1000 000 USD to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power,... and Im pretty sure that there are a lot more involved for anyone that can come up with proof of life after death, Angels, Ghosts, Bigfoot, Nessie or ET visitation.

Bottom line - People are free to believe in whatever they want, I have no problem with that,... as long as they dont claim it a fact.

Me, personally, when it comes to the mysteries of the universe, I prefer to know, not just believe.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

I have not claimed anything as fact, only that everything cannot be explained. The parallel/ alternate universe ideology is simply one possible avenue to discuss, because although it has not been proven empirically it is being investigated.

I have not claimed anything as fact, only that everything cannot be explained. The parallel/ alternate universe ideology is simply one possible avenue to discuss, because although it has not been proven empirically it is being investigated.

No argument from me there.

Im simply saying that unexplained is extremely far from a paranormal phenomenon to be real.

Edited by Hazzard

It's my belief that the soul enters into another dimension after death and that that dimension {among others} exist on the same plain as our own, and occasionally overlap to reveal what we call unexplained, or paranormal events. No I cannot prove the existence of other dimensions { or even the human soul for that matter}, it's just what makes the most sense to me.

Really,... THAT is what makes the most sense to you?!!

It makes sense to me too!

Most mediums talk of a spiritual progression thru levels of higher and finer vibration. I believe these are other dimensions intersecting with the three we currently use, and can be found in the elusive 'dark matter'.

I can't prove it of course, but we each have our theories.

Edited by acute alan
  • Like 1

That's good thinking Jerek. I never thought of it like that. I always suspected UFOS where earthly technology and not aliens but never thought of ghost like that. Maybe holograms or invisibility cloaking?

It makes sense to me too!

Most mediums talk of a spiritual progression thru levels of higher and finer vibration. I believe these are other dimensions intersecting with the three we currently use, and can be found in the elusive 'dark matter'.

I can't prove it of course, but we each have our theories.

Thats not even a theory.... its pure fantasy.

Scientific thoery and philisophical theory are two different things, except in the area of the parnormal{ and religion too I imagine}, in that events are occuring{hauntings,sightings etc.} have occured throughout history, and will continue to occur .To say that it's all bunk and fantasy is a disservice to theoretical thinking on all levels.

I have witnessed a ghost and it was of my cat. Don't think she ran off somewhere laid down and was dreaming and decided never to come back at 15 years old. I've also had other paranormal events. That's all the proof I need of the paranormal. I have to admit until I had my own experiences it was hard to believe in. So it doesn't bother me if others don't believe.

What I would like to know is why I could only see my cat out of the corner of my eye. If I looked directly at her she would disappear completely. Then I would look again out of the corner of my eye and she was plain as day but kind of transparent looking. I wonder if it was because she was a animal.

That is interesting that your peripheral vision is able to see that realm, and from what I just read on wikepedia, receptor cells in the retina have trouble distinquishing color in that position, which could account for the transparency. Just trying to make sense of it all.