Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should the moon be used as a prison?

ali smack

I think the moon would make an excellent prison.

If you put the very worst criminals up there. They could never come back.

Think of the money we'd save! Think of how big the moon is. If it was a gigantic prison, it could house a lot of criminals.

Only problem is food,

Ill stop stealing chocolate bars for my starving sister I promise. Dont send to the moon. Theres secret alien bases there.

So it's going to be a lunar version of Strangeways.

But you can't just lead them to fend for themselves.

However you don't need wardens unless the convicts hotwire a passing UFO.

But these prisoners have got friends and relatives who won't be happy when their visiting rights have been stopped.

They are human after all and deserve the privelidges we take for granted.

Besides not all prisoners serve life sentences so how are we going to pick them off the moon?

Not only that but the hardened lags might decide to get involved in the act of leaving.

Same applies when they have flights full of supplies because you can't have them starving.

That's regardless of how heinous they have been to get to this point.

It's also not very cost effective so they are better left off where they are.

It could though have more potential if space travel was part and parcel.

Edited by Medium Brown

Sounds badass actually.

I can see some Bane type character now: ""Sabotaging this shuttle...with no survivors!" and then proceeding to unleash a fleet of prisoners who come to attack Earth...

(sorry, I'm a sucker for cool concepts like this)

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 1

have to agree with Hasina, the money it will cost in fuel will not be worth it. We need the fuel here, do not waste it on numerous trips to the moon.

The money it will cost to build something there which can grow food for them,......yep, sorry, but human rights will make a killing (excise the pun) out of this bit, will just not be worth it.

If they can build something on the moon which can sustain human life and able to grow food....leave the criminals here and I will go instead.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

I've got a possible solution to the food problem.

They could start eating the surface like it'a chunk of cheese.

When they get to the Moon's core it'll be like Welsh Rarebit.

It just goes to show that urban myth continues to be a inspiration for comedy.

Btw I wouldn't live on the moon myself because I like someplace with a bit of atmosphere.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

No. The Moon will be overpopulated with prisoners. Then what planet is next? Mercury? Venus? Where does it end?

We could build a giant catapult and tell criminals that they are being banished to the moon, when in reality, we just fling them a mile into the sky and let them land in the ocean. No fuel required and we get the desired result.

I would not really care to look up at the moon and know there's a penal colony.

I would not really care to look up at the moon and know there's a penal colony.

But at least they will be out of sight and out of mind!

The food problem can be sorted easily!

Just give them Findus! (Or the other known by name: horse meat)

Instead of throwing all of that away, just freeze dry it, package it up and put it all in a huge box that reads: For Moon Use Only.

Oh! And fruitcake. The kind that is wrapped up in cellophane and bought only to give as presents on Christmas that is re-gifted the following year.

(I say this all in jest!)

Seriously, I do not think the Moon should be used as a penal colony. Why? Because, I wouldn't want to see our Moon overpopulated as our beloved Earth. It's a slippery slope that kinda creeps down upon you and then it's too late to actually do anything about it when you realise, 'Uh.. we got too many people here.'

So, I say, let's preserve the Moon! Keep it beautiful, Keep it Lunar!

:tu:

Seriously, I do not think the Moon should be used as a penal colony. Why? Because, I wouldn't want to see our Moon overpopulated as our beloved Earth. It's a slippery slope that kinda creeps down upon you and then it's too late to actually do anything about it when you realise, 'Uh.. we got too many people here.'

So, I say, let's preserve the Moon! Keep it beautiful, Keep it Lunar!

:tu:

I'm all for retaining the Moon's purity at this moment in time.

I can imagine the space junk left behind from the Apollo missions will be nothing compared with the debris left over from prisoners.

However if your going to get a state of over- population on the Moon you'll need both female and male prisoners.

Now the OP didn't exactly state that it would be male prisoners exclusively so I still think you've got to segregate them.

Even if this lunar prison had no cells and chains it's going to be pretty difficult to have sex with a spacesuit on.

Because I can't see it being anything like Moonbase Alpha.

Even back on terra firma when they talk about over- population they mean outside the barbed wire.

However ironically the prisons are getting over- populated anyway whichever side your bread is buttered.

Of course an alternative idea would be to send the female inmates to Venus and the men to Mars.

Then they truly will be from different planets.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Or just shoot then into the sun, if we're gonna waste the rocket fuel, why waste anymore then we have to?

I like the way you think,

I say no dont send them to the moon, there gotta be another way. Plus would people have to pay more in taxes to help pay for the moon prison :unsure2:

We need to turn more of the worst criminals into worm dirt.

What about the Sarlaac pit on Tatooine?

• Like 1

And then there's the problem of cases being overturned and wrongful incarceration. I wouldn't want to be on a ship that picks up an inmate when you've got several hundreds of criminal minds loose on a planet. The second you land, they'll sabotage your ship...

are you kidding??

if being a criminal will get me to the moon, then i'm gonna start s**tting in judges' pockets right away!!

woohoo!

blast-off!!

:-)

• Like 3

No. The Moon will be overpopulated with prisoners. Then what planet is next? Mercury? Venus? Where does it end?

As long as it means they end their criminal activities on Earth, who cares where they go? Its the fuel and building costs which concern me.

We need to turn more of the worst criminals into worm dirt.

I think many are that already!

Lets just send them to this place i have been told about my whole life where bad people go its called hell!Oh wait we have to let them commit all of these atrocities first?Oh well......

I'm digging the 'into space' idea. I just think blasting them out there 'zod' style would be much cooler. :tsu:

zod.jpg

• Like 2

No, not the moon. I like the zod style myself but seeing as thats not possible at the moment....... Just drop them in a very deep hole and thats the end of it.

Too many prisoners you say?

Well how about we get onto changing the laws. There are a few that shouldn't be there that would make a massive difference to prison populations.

• Like 1

So it's going to be a lunar version of Strangeways.

But you can't just lead them to fend for themselves.

However you don't need wardens unless the convicts hotwire a passing UFO.

But these prisoners have got friends and relatives who won't be happy when their visiting rights have been stopped.

They are human after all and deserve the privelidges we take for granted.

Besides not all prisoners serve life sentences so how are we going to pick them off the moon?

Not only that but the hardened lags might decide to get involved in the act of leaving.

Same applies when they have flights full of supplies because you can't have them starving.

That's regardless of how heinous they have been to get to this point.

It's also not very cost effective so they are better left off where they are.

It could though have more potential if space travel was part and parcel.

You do have a point. I didn't think of that. It probably wouldn't be a very good idea. The criminals i'm talking about are the worst of the worst, child killers, serial killers, cannibals, necrophiles, serial pedophiles ( Who have attacked children and younger ) Basically all the filth of the universe.

But yes the points you make are totally right

• Like 1