Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if universe is one massive simulation?

ambelamba

Well, then it explains so many things. Right? Since the simulation is enormous, there has to be some bugs and glitches. The alleged supernatural phenomenons and miracles might be the result of bad or faulty coding of the universal fabric. They are not supposed to happen. But they do happen because of the glitches.

If our world is a simulation, that will completely change how we see the world, lives, spirituality and everything. If a solid evidence of our world being like some kind of Matrix, there will be a massive panic. And there will be at least a few people who will try to 'cheat' the system.

If our universe is a buggy and glitched simulation, well that explains alot! Our creator might be some kind of tech nerd or some code cruncher! And, those who created this universal simulation might have had installed some fail-safe device or some form of Punkbuster, preventing us to use any kind of hack or cheat codes.

I was very depressed when I thought of that, but came to make peace with such possibility. But that doesn't make me any more nihilistic. Everything feels real enough for me.

What would the simulation be of, a real universe? I find the simulation argument explains little and assumes a lot.

Edited by Rlyeh

Id prefer an assimilated Universe reality TBH

Holographic universe isn't the same argument presented by the simulation argument. The holographic universe is based off string theory which is naturalistic (explained by nature) while the simulation argument argues the universe is artificial.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

Edited by Rlyeh

I used the analogy of a simulation several years ago to discuss a possible explanation of the Trinity in Christian theology. God the Father is like the gamer, he controls everything in the world. Jesus the son was an Avatar of God, like a RPG style game you took the role of a PC (Player Character) and interacted with the world to achieve a purpose. The Holy Spirit can be viewed as God's overall interaction with the world, like an RTS-type game or perhaps a Simulator. Like Starcraft, God can highlight a series of troops and move them from place to place, defend, attack, build, etc... or perhaps like SimCity where God a click of the mouse causes people to start building skyscrapers.... in a real world setting it would be described as God "inspiring" people to act.

Of course, like any analogy it is not perfect. But it does get the general idea of Father/Son/Spirit into a modern analogy that most internet folk (particularly gamers) will understand. I thought it was interesting in any case :)

~ Regards,

• Like 2

Im sorry but all i can think of right now is the following image

SIMS_universe.jpg

• Like 1

Im sorry but all i can think of right now is the following image

SIMS_universe.jpg

What if that's what really happened to us? But you know...that explains a lot of things!

Of course we are in a simulation -- there is really no difference between a "real" universe and a simulated one except one happened pretty much by chance and the other for some purpose. They are both just self-moving waves of information.

Given that we presume it is possible for a culture to become advanced enough to make simulations, then the number of simulations would far exceed the number of real universes, making it exceeding more likely we are simulated than "real."

By the way, does it occur to anyone that we ourselves may be the creators of the simulation we are in -- perhaps as a form of entertainment or education?

Hi RJ, You may like to watch a documentary from UK tv called ‘What we still don’t know’ it was a 4 part series and the 3rd part is called ‘Are we real’ with Prof Sir Martin Rees, in it this topic is discussed, with some of the work of Prof Nick Bostrom university of Oxford I would put the link up but it would be cut so look for yourself on utube. You could also look at work by Prof Nick Bostram at

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html take care

‘Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror, but YOU are the eternity and YOU are the mirror’ Kahlil Gilbran

Here's the (IMO) really cool part about the 'matrix' theory. If you accept the proposition that once powerful enough computers exist to run simulation like that, and that we would actually run those simulations, then simulated universes and people would vastly outnumber the real universe and real people within it, so there would be a distinc mathematical probablitiy that in fact we are a simulation. It would actually be a much greater likelyhood that we are not real.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

If it is a simulation then somebody's got some explaining to do. I want a reboot.

Yea -- we go back to the real world when we die.

No, it is unlike the matrix in that the inhabitants are also simulations. So we die and......non existence.
  • Like 1

There is a connection between NDE's and quantum physics and the holographic universe that has never been adequately explained away to me. Near death experiencers routinely describe their experiences in terms that can only be called "holographic" and they also say things that seem to parallel things I've read about quantum physics. I find that very evidential. There is no way that a housewife from Kansas or an uneducated truck driver from South Georgia would know or understand anything about quantum physics or the holographic nature of the universe yet they routinely come back after their experiences and describe them in terms that can only be called "holographic."

People who have NDE's routinely talk about overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness, feeling like they are everywhere in the universe at once, time and space not existing, buildings that are "made out of knowledge", 360 degree vision, seeing colors they've never seen before, hearing sounds that they haven't heard in this physical universe, and during the life review seeing their whole lives flash by in an instant (bolus of information)and feeling the emotions and feelings of the people they interacted with (the life review is a holographic experience par excellence), and how the other side will feel even more real to us than this side does, and feeling the feelings and hearing the thoughts of the people they interacted with. I find these things to be very evidential because it parallels things I've read about in popular physics books.

This explains why it is that so many near death experiencers say that the other side will feel even more real to us than this side does, and how it could be "realer than real" or "more consciousness than normal." Near death experiencers also say that it will feel even more real to us than this side does. The quote below explains why or how this is possible.

"Or, to put it another way, a holographic universe is blurry," says Hogan. This is good news for anyone trying to probe the smallest unit of space-time. ...

http://blogs.monografias.com/sistema-limbico-neurociencias/2010/02/19/the-holographic-universe-when-it-pays-to-be-first/

There is quite a bit of evidence from physics and near death experiences that our so called physical universe is some kind of strange holographic projection. The implications of this are enormous.

Our Universe may be a giant hologram (1 page)

http://www.inquisitr.com/15460/scientists-claim-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram/

The Universe as a hologram (about 5 or 6 pages):

http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html

Testing the holographic universe

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2010/10/20/fermilab-scientists-to-test-hypothesis-of-holographic-universe/

If you read Mark Horton's NDE and the parallels with the holographic universe theory become obvious:

http://www.mindspring.com/~scottr/nde/markh.html

Near Death Experiences: A Holographic Explanation, Dr. Oswald Harding.

http://www.amazon.com/Near-Death-Experience-Holographic-Explanation/dp/9768202092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255530488&sr=1-1

Christianity and The Holographic Universe theory: If someone ever asks you how it is possible for God to be everywhere in the Universe at one time, this is how. If someone ever asks you how it is possible for Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit to be God in three persons, the Trinity, this is how.

Excerpt from The Universe as a Hologram: “If a hologram of a rose is cut in half and then illuminated by a laser, each half will still be found to contain the entire image of the rose. Indeed, even if the halves are divided again, each snippet of film will always be found to contain a smaller but intact version of the original image. Unlike normal photographs, every part of a hologram contains all the information possessed by the whole. The "whole in every part" nature of a hologram provides us with an entirely new way of understanding organization and order…. <snip>…..

In addition to its phantomlike nature, such a universe would possess other rather startling features. If the apparent separateness of subatomic particles is illusory, it means that at a deeper level of reality all things in the universe are infinitely interconnected. The electrons in a carbon atom in the human brain are connected to the subatomic particles that comprise every salmon that swims, every heart that beats, and every star that shimmers in the sky. Everything interpenetrates everything, and although human nature may seek to categorize and pigeonhole and subdivide, the various phenomena of the universe, all apportionments are of necessity artificial and all of nature is ultimately a seamless web.

In a holographic universe, even time and space could no longer be viewed as fundamentals. Because concepts such as location break down in a universe in which nothing is truly separate from anything else, time and three-dimensional space, like the images of the fish on the TV monitors, would also have to be viewed as projections of this deeper order. At its deeper level reality is a sort of superhologram in which the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously.” http://www.earthportals.com/hologram.html

“If this doesn’t blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab’s Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: ‘If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram.’” – excerpt from The Holographic Universe: When it pays to be first, http://blogs.monografias.com/sistema-limbico-neurociencias/2010/02/19/the-holographic-universe-when-it-pays-to-be-first/

The answer is simple. We are presently living in the holographic projection and the place we call heaven is the original holographic film from which our present “physical” reality is projected from. This means that whatever is “here” also has to be “there” only the physics of the other side or “heaven” will be very different from this side. Time and space won’t seem to exist and we will experience whatever we focus our attention on. Because we will “exist” throughout the entire holographic film at one time, and that place encompasses “all that is” whatever we love or focus our attention on, that is what we will experience.

“I literally had the feeling that I was everywhere in the universe simultaneously.” Excerpt from Mark Horton’s NDE, http://www.mindspring.com/~scottr/nde/markh.html

The Holodeck Metaphor

I just had an idea pop into my head this morning. You know on the TV Show Star Trek: The Next Generation how they had what they call a Holodeck? Did you ever notice that none of the starship's regular characters ever got upset when one of their holodeck characters died when they were running a holodeck simulation? That's because they knew that they were just a computer generated character, not "really real". They weren't really "dead" because they weren't really "real."

If you read enough near death experience descriptions that is sort of how they describe this reality; and if it is just a holographic projection from someplace else, something created to teach the soul about the physical universe, time and space, what it means and how it feels to be separate, then perhaps the Star Trek: TNG holodeck is a good metaphor for what this life really is.

But if emotion helps us remember, and the more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates, perhaps that is why we aren't allowed to know absolutely for sure that there is life after death because it is in the not know that we mourn the most. If we knew all this stuff absolutely for sure when someone we love dies we'd realize that our separation was only temporary and after the character we are playing dies that we would be reunited in Heaven or the spiritual dimension or universe or whatever you want to call it?

excerpt from Michelle M's NDE:

I felt an understanding about life, what it was, is. As if it was a dream in itself. It's so very hard to explain this part. I'll try, but my words limit the fullness of it. I don't have the words here, but I understood that it really didn't matter what happened in the life experience, I knew/understood that it was intense, brief, but when we were in it, it seemed like forever. I understood that whatever happened in life, I was really ok, and so were the others here.

http://www.nderf.org/michelle_m's_nde.htm

excerpt from Jame's E's NDE:

I was not "told" anything in the light, as much as, I just knew everything there was to know. I knew why there was bad in the world, I knew why there was good, I knew that every little thing that will ever occur here, is exactly planned out, in order to bring about something else. Everything we have ever done or known or will know, is perfectly planned out and perfectly in tune. ... {snip}... It taught me that everyone, everything, is in its right place. Always will be, no matter how much we try to change, or try to destroy, or try to create, were simply doing exactly what was planned. The meaning of life, as I felt it to be, is simply to live.

http://www.nderf.org/james_e_nde.htm

excerpt from Arthur's NDE:

My wife was standing in the street turned facing the other direction and I realized she was watching the vehicle that had hit me turned around and heading back towards us for a second time. Three things came to my thoughts. 1) That if the vehicle was to hit me again that would be it! 2) That my wife was in danger again. As she was standing in front of my body with her hands waving to the automobile in a fashion as to flag them down. Only they were going way to fast to stop and way to close to miss. 3) My 6 month old son was foremost in my mind. I remember sensing a presence, nothing visual but I knew I was Not alone! I said, "Please Dear God, No! Not Now!" I saw the car pass through the scene, it did not swerve, it did not turn. It passed directly through, leaving my wife and my body untouched. Instantly after that I found myself laying on the ground, back inside my body writhing in pain. This story can be confirmed! Teresa, who was my wife at the time can confirm it.

http://www.nderf.org/arthur_w's_nde.htm

excerpt from Kelly K's NDE:

The next thing I recall was being shown the universe. I remember thinking, "So, THAT'S how it is! I was in awe. It was like a huge net, or chain link fence, everything in the universe is connected.

http://www.nderf.org/kelly_k's_nde.htm

excerpt from online essay about the The Holographic Universe:

For if the concreteness of the world is but a secondary reality and what is "there" is actually a holographic blur of frequencies, and if the brain is also a hologram and only selects some of the frequencies out of this blur and mathematically transforms them into sensory perceptions, what becomes of objective reality? Put quite simply, it ceases to exist. As the religions of the East have long upheld, the material world is Maya, an illusion, and although we may think we are physical beings moving through a physical world, this too is an illusion.

http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html

Art

I can see this as a useful metaphor to explain things, but not an absolute truth. To assume the world is created and maintained in the exact same way as a computer simulation is to assume that the "real" world above runs by the same universal laws that governs our own. Once you assume that, you begin to fall into an infinity paradox, and nothing becomes truly explained...

However if you use it as a means to understand concepts that are otherwise quite difficult to understand, then it becomes a useful tool to further our understanding as opposed to hindering it...

Just keep the simulation argument as a metaphor, nothing else.

There is a connection between NDE's and quantum physics and the holographic universe that has never been adequately explained away to me. Near death experiencers routinely describe their experiences in terms that can only be called "holographic" and they also say things that seem to parallel things I've read about quantum physics. I find that very evidential. There is no way that a housewife from Kansas or an uneducated truck driver from South Georgia would know or understand anything about quantum physics or the holographic nature of the universe yet they routinely come back after their experiences and describe them in terms that can only be called "holographic."

Way to completely butcher science.

How many experiencers use the word holographic? Or claim anything like the holographic universe in which the cosmos is projected off a 2D surface?

Someone is clutching at straws.

Edit: besides this topic is about the simulation argument.

Edited by Rlyeh

Way to completely butcher science.

How many experiencers use the word holographic? Or claim anything like the holographic universe in which the cosmos is projected off a 2D surface?

Someone is clutching at straws.

Edit: besides this topic is about the simulation argument.

I don't like him because he basically crapped on the topic. He always does, according to my observation.

My questions were:1. Do universe have bugs and glitches? 2. If the universe is a simulation, is it...hackable?

I don't like him because he basically crapped on the topic. He always does, according to my observation.

My questions were:1. Do universe have bugs and glitches? 2. If the universe is a simulation, is it...hackable?

Yes it does... But the universe or subset of a multiverse has been evolving a long time. ( long is longer than long). Our perception of physics only exist because it survived. It is certainly hacakable but one has to consider that such an old simulation might have allowed the hack in the first place through playing the game. Shadow or shade or smoke ( cant remembe) under the bridge. Comes to mind. Yes I found him once. They calledme the grand master when I was 13.

Edited by Seeker79

Yea -- we go back to the real world when we die.

I've had that idea as well because if we are in a sumulation then when we die that's our way of unplugging from it. I started having that idea after I saw a movie called the Thirteenth Floor it started making me think about things like this.

No, it is unlike the matrix in that the inhabitants are also simulations. So we die and......non existence.

I figure there would be a reason for the simulation, and the best one I can think of is that it's like playing a computer game, except you live a life in it rather than just a few hours.

I've been trying to figure out some way to distinguish it, but of course the designers of the game would have already made sure that wasn't possible if they want the game to be popular. (It wouldn't be like the old saw that you can tell fantasy from reality in that in reality there is no background music).

If our universe is a simulation!.. then who/what made the simulation? where did it came from?