Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vatican will have two Popes

Still Waters

Lets hope that the new Pope changes Vatican City law on the age of consent being 12 years old obviously to send a message to those that have wandering hands!

I feel as if the Vatican will most likley vote for the man who will fit the description of Peter the Roman. Maybe having this 2nd pope is what fullfulls the other part of the prophecy about Peter the Roman bringing about the destruction of the cathlic church and rome. I was listening to the news the other day and they stated that the Cathlic church was in turmoil. Maybe these two together try to fix it and fail horribly.

Just a thought. :whistle:

What the hell is a real Pope. They are all fake so the word real is mute. There a figurehead and a joke that the people in the seats like to clap too.

How are they fake Popes? According to dictionary.com, the very first definition of "Pope" is:

pope

[pohp] Show IPA

noun

1. ( often initial capital letter ) the bishop of Rome as head of the Roman Catholic Church.

Every person who holds the role of bishop of Rome, head of the Roman Catholic Church, by definition they are the "real Pope".

Edited by Paranoid Android

bit of a break from tradition.

I feel as if the Vatican will most likley vote for the man who will fit the description of Peter the Roman. Maybe having this 2nd pope is what fullfulls the other part of the prophecy about Peter the Roman bringing about the destruction of the cathlic church and rome. I was listening to the news the other day and they stated that the Cathlic church was in turmoil. Maybe these two together try to fix it and fail horribly.

Well given that none of the top choices are Romans they'd be hard pressed to find someone that fits. :P

So why would they specifically choose someone to fit that old fraud's prophecies? Surely they'd only do that if they wanted to see the destruction of the Church.

So why would they specifically choose someone to fit that old fraud's prophecies? Surely they'd only do that if they wanted to see the destruction of the Church.

Because the publicity.

Limited offer only, be Catholic while you still can.

And when it turns out the limited offer is not limited yet, they can say it was because of the public demand: prayers saved the Church and overrode the prophecy.

Why not, what do we know about the mysterious ways.

Seriously now, having emeritus pope already disqualified the prophecies because no prophecy announced that novelty.

Not that I mind, why wouldn’t a pope withdraw if he feels it’s time to withdraw and why wouldn’t Catholics have their church in the future too.

There are scandals in which some careerists/perverts are involved, but there are also people who make the true Church. They showed great support for Benedict, and it was obviously taken into account when deciding on his future title and position.

I liked that.

• Like 2

Because the publicity.

And when it turns out the limited offer is not limited yet, they can say it was because of the public demand: prayers saved the Church and overrode the prophecy.

Seriously now, having emeritus pope already disqualified the prophecies because no prophecy announced that novelty.

Not that I mind, why wouldn’t a pope withdraw if he feels it’s time to withdraw and why wouldn’t Catholics have their church in the future too.

There are scandals in which some careerists/perverts are involved, but there are also people who make the true Church. They showed great support for Benedict, and it was obviously taken into account when deciding on his future title and position.

I liked that.

I am Roman Catholic Helen and I couldn't agee with you more. :tu:

• Like 1

Today is the last day of Pope Benedict's reign and he leaves the Vatican with grace. I thought his resignation has to do with his health, but we don't know what really goes on behind the doors of the RCC with its numerous scandals with children and finances. The church is a center of secrecy (and conspiracy, namely the "Da Vinci Code" a work of fiction was based on the Knights Templar legend) of cover-ups shouldn't undermine its legitimacy, but its credibility is threatened. The Roman Catholic Church is liable to its own conduct while they preach spiritual guidance to the world's over a billion Catholics: two of them I know of is my father and my wife despite she hasn't been to that church in a long time.

The church will announce a new pope sometime, it will be interesting to witness (again in 8 years) the process of how a new pope is elected: the white smoke out of the one chimney where the votes are cast then burned to maintain anonymity. An American pope or from outside Europe (i.e. Africa or Asia) will be a historic grandeur. A new pope from a more conservative society/culture could impact how the RCC goes through reforms, comparably Latin America vs. Europe where the church's power has declined over the decades this century.

How much time is there customarily between one Pope, er, departing, and the new one being chosen? I'm rather surprised that they don't have it arranged all ready for the new one to take over immediately. I know they didn't have a great deal of time to get things organised, but you might have thought that they'd have a successor lined up ready to take over, wouldn't you. And who will take charge in the meantime? Will they have a temporary stand-in? Maybe they ought to have a Vice-Pope, perhaps, to take over temporarily, at least. Although perhaps that might be open to misinterpretation. :unsure2:

Edited by Lord Vetinari

I think they are trying to stand by the tradition as much as they possibly can, and it is considered distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope until the previous Pope has left office. (Just as it would be distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope if the previous Pope were dying but not yet dead).

I think they are trying to stand by the tradition as much as they possibly can, and it is considered distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope until the previous Pope has left office. (Just as it would be distasteful to start the process of selecting a new Pope if the previous Pope were dying but not yet dead).

Yes, but if they had a successor lined up ready, even before it was looking likely that there might be a vacancy before long, as a matter of course, (like how, theoretically at least, the Vice-President would step into the shoes of the President, or how there's always an heir to the British throne lined up), that wouldn't be distateful, would it, if that was what normally happened. Although I suppose it might be a bit much asking the vatican to break with two thousand years of tradition. :->

• Like 1

Because the publicity.

I liked that.

Actually, the prophecy did speak of an "anti-pope" - would that be Benedict now that he has stated he is "anti" remaining Pope till his dying day? :whistle:

He is gone! I see the false emperor leave the eternal city, the interregnum begins! Rejoice all you imps and elves and sprites and creatures of the meadows and forests and rivers and streams. Rejoice all who have had to live in the shadows these long years. May the undead dead breathe, may their names be spoken again, may their wrappings fall from them and their bodies returned to life. But time is short for a new anti-christ Pope will bring back the darkness too soon. Enjoy the breath of wind and splash of water, enjoy living in the Sun again. Do not be despondent when the darkness returns in a few weeks, for that evil empire has the smell of death about it. Our time will return, the old gods will return, Horus will return in glory!

Benedict XVI will continue to wear a white cassock and will be known as Pope Emeritus after he resigns the papacy on Thursday, the Vatican said.

The honorific title added further confusion to Benedict’s exact status after his historic resignation, muddying the lines between his papacy and that of his successor.

http://www.telegraph...-two-Popes.html

It won't actually. Retired Bishps still retain their title, as well as retired abbots and abbesses, it is a common practice. There is only one pope.

Peace

mark

Actually, the prophecy did speak of an "anti-pope" - would that be Benedict now that he has stated he is "anti" remaining Pope till his dying day? :whistle:

:D

Well, it’s open to interpretation, of course, but to me personally there’s nothing “antipapal” in withdrawal to life of non-public prayer.

An emeritus pope like an emeritus professor, they don’t stop being what they are, they simply don’t want to limit the flock (the pope) or students (the professor) to the slower pace old age inevitably brings.

I understand both John Paul II and Benedict XVI, they both faced health problems and while John Paul chose to bear that cross publicly, Benedict chose not to burden the public with that.

To be brutally honest, John Paul with his Parkinson and stuff was a bit tiresome, no offence to believers who appreciated his bravery.

Both decisions are completely justified by their faith, since there’s no shame in bearing your cross publicly but also withdrawing to bear it in privacy is very modest thing to do.

I also find both decisions inspiring, though I’m only Catholic sympathizer, lacking true faith and better wording :lol:

He is gone! I see the false emperor leave the eternal city, the interregnum begins! Rejoice all you imps and elves and sprites and creatures of the meadows and forests and rivers and streams. Rejoice all who have had to live in the shadows these long years. May the undead dead breathe, may their names be spoken again, may their wrappings fall from them and their bodies returned to life. But time is short for a new anti-christ Pope will bring back the darkness too soon. Enjoy the breath of wind and splash of water, enjoy living in the Sun again. Do not be despondent when the darkness returns in a few weeks, for that evil empire has the smell of death about it. Our time will return, the old gods will return, Horus will return in glory!

To continue the rant from above, I’m sympathizing Catholics because I was brought up by Catholic grandmother who had not an ounce of malice in her mind.

When someone insults Catholics, they insult the kindness that made the good side of my rather psychotic nature prevail, and they insult the culture in which I was brought up and to which I will belong to the day I die.

So bearing in mind that it’s still winter in Russia and you need all that vodka to keep warm, I’ll just inform you that the old belief was also part of my upbringing and it did not clash with Christianity. On the contrary, the moral code is the same and both beliefs are inseparable parts of my culture.

If the old ones were stopped from returning because of the Pope, then jebeš the old ones and their might.

I believe the higher power has many emanations and religion is the matter of fashion, while faith is eternal and its core always the same regardless of the rite. There won’t be any return of the old ones, since they never left. They simply adapted their appearance to ever changing world, or the world adapted to the change of their appearance, or both.

Now, if you still feel like discussing "the evil empire", be advised to sweep your own doorstep before you even think of sweeping mine.

• Like 2

Yeah whatever, have a nice day :-*

e2ef129c862b.gif Oh Gods protect us from these unbelievers and purge their lies and madness from this post and cast them into outer darkness and may their names be forgotten for eternity and their wrappings infested with fungus e2ef129c862b.gif

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

Yeah whatever, have a nice day :-*

e2ef129c862b.gif Oh Gods protect us from these unbelievers and purge their lies and madness from this post and cast them into outer darkness and may their names be forgotten for eternity and their wrappings infested with fungus e2ef129c862b.gif

Thank you, I must say it was you that actually made my day :lol:

After seeing what happens when the Orthodox rite (unmatched in length and amount of fumes) meets ancient Egyptian rite (unmatched in obsession with the wrappings), in immature mind, I must conclude the syncretism is sadly not for everyone.

Anyway, keep posting, if you didn’t exist, someone would have to invent you.

There is only one pope.

There is no Pope, currently. :)

Which leads me to ask, who's in charge of the RC Church during the Papal Elections? It's rather amiss of God to leave us all without a Representative while the Cardinals have a conference, in my opinion if indeed no-one is in charge.

EDIT:

The BBC has answered my question! His deputy, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, will be in charge of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics until a new pope is elected next month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21620718

Sorry, God! I never knew there was a Deputy Pope; please forgive my ignorance. *embarrassed & scared looking smiley*

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

There is no Pope, currently. :)

Which leads me to ask, who's in charge of the RC Church during the Papal Elections? It's rather amiss of God to leave us all without a Representative while the Cardinals have a conference, in my opinion if indeed no-one is in charge.

yes, exactly, that's what I was asking. You'd think there'd be like a Deputy Pope or something (not perhaps Vice-Pope, that might not sound right) who could take over temporarily, wouldn't they.

Is Nick "Clegg" Catholic? It might give him something to do. It's not like there's any Scandal affecting him at the moment, is there.

Who runs things after tonight till the new Pope is put in place? http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-18/national/37157134_1_heads-of-vatican-departments-pope-benedict-xvi-vatican-city

I'm not sure why the oohhh factor after the understandable initial confusion. And really, to a lot of the world that isn't of the faith or really worried about proper titles will probably just call him "Former Pope".

Actually, there is no need for any new Pope. While there is no Bishop of Rome, then the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Archbishop of New Rome, is the highest authority in Christendom. So, heretics of the West, take this opportunity to return to orthodoxy and embrace Patriarch Bartholomew as your leader. You also need to pay reperations for the sack of Constantinople in the Crusades, and for leaving Constantinople to it's fate in 1453. Venetians and Genovese will be exempt from paying reperations of course.

• Like 1

Actually, there is no need for any new Pope. While there is no Bishop of Rome, then the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Archbishop of New Rome, is the highest authority in Christendom. So, heretics of the West, take this opportunity to return to orthodoxy and embrace Patriarch Bartholomew as your leader. You also need to pay reperations for the sack of Constantinople in the Crusades, and for leaving Constantinople to it's fate in 1453. Venetians and Genovese will be exempt from paying reperations of course.

Bwahahahahaaa...

Aww... don’t worry, lonely troll, I’ll feed you. I'm experienced in dealing with Byzantine logic, sadly :lol:

So, where was Saint Peter, the rock on which the Church is built, crucified?

In Rome or in Istanbul?

How can any New Rome be older than the original Rome?

The first step towards the reunification of Christianity was already done by establishing Eastern Catholic churches, also known as Greco-Catholic churches.

They use Byzantine liturgical rite but they are in the full union (the same Pope included, of course) with the Roman Catholic Church. The one that is built on the rock Jesus himself named in person of St.Peter.

So unless St.Pete's bones walk - with no Byzantine help, mind you! - to Istanbul, city built in the place of the long lost Constantinople, Rome will not be shifted to the East, geographically or spiritually.

And whose duty it was to defend Constantinople? Byzantine. Who failed? Byzantines. What they are entitled to? Reparations? But of course, take this post as the first tranche.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2