Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 11
ali smack

why is homophobia commonplace?

421 posts in this topic

Why is homophobia so commonplace?

Why in our society is homosexuality hated and frowned upon. The same with Bisexuality regarding men.

But lesbianism and Bisexuality regarding women is thought as fine.

Anyone know why this is the case?

1 person likes this

Homophobia doesn't exist. They're not 'scared' of a gay person. They're just a d-bag.

8 people like this

Homophobia doesn't exist. They're not 'scared' of a gay person. They're just a d-bag.

this, this, and a dash of this.

1 person likes this

My opinion is who cares. I have seen some sexy guys in drag that I would totaly be into, pardon the pun lol

2 people like this

The meaning of the term 'homophobia' (A fear or loathing of homosexuality) has been deliberately blurred to include those who merely disapprove of homosexuality, in a deliberate attempt to shame the latter into abandoning their disapproval. (Discredit the person to discredit their argument).

Annoying isn't it? I don't have a problem with homosexuality at all, but I'm not going to condemn you for how you feel.

4 people like this

Homophobia is common because it is encouraged in so many ways. Perhaps the biggest is our much vaunted Judeo Christian Heritage. Mostly if not completely, various passages in the bible condemn it. They preach tolerance but practice the opposite.

But also some other cultures and religions criticize it. I assume the Koran does. Don't know about the Indian culture, but I think they are quite down on it.

The meaning of the term 'homophobia' (A fear or loathing of homosexuality) has been deliberately blurred to include those who merely disapprove of homosexuality, in a deliberate attempt to shame the latter into abandoning their disapproval. (Discredit the person to discredit their argument).

I don't hate or fear homosexuals - I don't disapprove of them as persons - I do however, dislike this constant "Look at me me me - I'm a victim" mentality and the clamour for preferential treatment that is constantly being shoved in our faces via the media etc.

(And if that makes me a 'd-bag' because I have an opinion that differs from those more 'trendy' than I, then so be it).

There's the difference though, you find the annoying ones annoying, the ones who aren't? They're fine. The people trendy Lil'me have a problem with are the ones who have a problem with homosexuals for just being homosexual at all, no matter the way they express it.

If you don't like your own gender, don't get involved with someone of the same gender. Simple. There's no reason to disapprove of what others do with their sexuality.

Edited by Hasina
2 people like this

I do not discriminate i hate everyone equally.Even if they look like me,walk like me and talk like me if i do not like them i do not like them and no matter what anyone else thinks about it no amount of name calling or badgering me will change my mind :tu:

6 people like this

Homophobia is common because it is encouraged in so many ways. Perhaps the biggest is our much vaunted Judeo Christian Heritage. Mostly if not completely, various passages in the bible condemn it. They preach tolerance but practice the opposite.

But also some other cultures and religions criticize it. I assume the Koran does. Don't know about the Indian culture, but I think they are quite down on it.

I'm not Jewish OT but I'm a Christian because I believe in Christ as my savior. Jesus never said anything about gays. Paul did but he's not Jesus.
4 people like this

Deuteronomy 4:2 parallel7.gif

New International Version (©1984)

Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Someone is answering to the Lord. Could it be Paul? He had an affliction while he was alive..............................................

Edited by euroninja

I believe it's simply about feeling threatened about your sexuality. Men especially "suffer" from this since society has always taught them what a man should be, and they base their personalities on that. Whether conscious of it or not.

When confronted with homosexuality they suddenly see that men can act differently so they are confronted with immediate doubt about what it means to be a man. What is masculinity?

That fear results into a projection of hate or disgust onto the homosexual.

With women there is less of this because women can act all feminine around each other and it seems like harmless fun. But if a women dares to act to masculine she will be frowned upon as well by some.

Edited by Render
2 people like this

Why in our society is homosexuality hated and frowned upon. The same with Bisexuality regarding men.

Society or culture is a form of brainwashing. Lesbianism is not as frowned upon because of the male chauvanist agenda. It's a fantasy come true for many guys to be in bed with.............................
4 people like this

Society or culture is a form of brainwashing. Lesbianism is not as frowned upon because of the male chauvanist agenda. It's a fantasy come true for many guys to be in bed with.............................

Yup, because society has taught that women are not to be taken seriously. If they to lesbian, it's just an extra challenge for men. All they wanna do is throw pillows at each other in their undies.

But men, oh my ... if they are gay ... that's serious business. Real men wouldn't be persuaded by the devil to switch teams. So if you dare be gay you are weak, and if one guy could be gay.. then who's to say another man won't go through those feelings..and feelings are gay. So best thing is to frown upon it preventively.

If women dare to be lesbian they're just doing it to tease men.

Ahum.

3 people like this

I think the worst kind of homophobic people are ones that are gay themselves but pretend to not be gay.

I don't have a problem with homosexuals or bisexuals. It's not something that interests me but I have nothing against it.

2 people like this

You dont understand the male mind.

The thought of man on man makes my skin crawl but lesbians are hypnotic. Watching two women with tongues down each others throats is like watching Hitler. Strangely mesmerizing!

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I don't hate or fear homosexuals - I don't disapprove of them as persons - I do however, dislike this constant "Look at me me me - I'm a victim" mentality and the clamour for preferential treatment that is constantly being shoved in our faces via the media etc.

What do you mean when you say that homosexuality is being shoved in your face constantly by the media? You do know that there is more heterosexuality on TV, right? So if anything THAT is being shoved in people's faces...

Notice how the thought of two guys kissing would make a straight guy's skin crawl. That is NOT a natural response. A natural response would be NEUTRALITY (not caring), it's because it isn't commonly SEEN (due to it being looked down upon) that they have such a negative reaction on the rare times that it IS seen...

Male animals do not have "skin crawling" (negative emotion) when they see two other male animals together, they just choose not to be involved - now THAT is a natural response. Neutrality.

Animals can be more matural than humans (SOMETIMES - I'm not saying in ALL cases but SOME).

Edited by Arpee

How does being gay benefit Humanity? I personally don't see how it helps or how it is healthy for a society. :no:

1 person likes this

I have had many gay friends, they are all around, just some people are better at keeping their personal life personal. I have never had anyone try to get me to try someone of the same sex, they all respected my sexuality. We all have our differences and if we could just repect each other and try to accept such small things such as sexual preference ( between adults, I in no way shape or form accept adults with minors), then we would have a much happier society. I mean really, what my co-worker and her girlfriend do in the privacy of their own bedroom does not affect my live in any way. They are both funny good human beings.

1 person likes this

It's common place because old dogma's and idiotic thinking still exist.

Morgan freeman says it best - "Homophobia: You're not scared, you're just being an ass."

I HATE the loud and proud gay people though, not because they're gay but because they make such a big show and tell over something so trivial...we get it, you're a gay person; yay. It's okay to be gay, but no one really needs to know and I don't know if it's the same with you lot, but a lot of gay people I know are really flamboyant, loud and act like party animals. I saw my cousin go from being 'just gay' to slowly morphing into one of them people who makes a show and tell of his sexuality, gay this, gay that etc.

(Still, those loud and proud gay men can be hilarious too)

2 people like this

I have found that the ones who are the most out-spoken against homosexuality can be put into a number of categories:

1. Repressed Homosexuals

2. have an insecure sexuality

3. have a fear of their Anima- their denied “female” traits, for men or

4. have a fear of their Animus- their denied “male” traits, for women.

5. Homophobia

6. Immature and Ignorant.

3. In a society, boys are brought up to be men. It is pushed into them to deny their “female” traits. “You must never cry.” “You must be strong.” Caring and tenderness is repressed. Because of the stress these men have, because they repress their Anima, they cope by projecting their fear and anger from these strange emotions into other people. They see other men being tender and caring for others, and because these things are strange to them they lash out at it, they mock it, and say its wrong, because they have no coping ability for the feelings that they are having. And likewise for women and "male" traits.

5. Homophobia is not just an irrational hatred, disapproval, or fear of homosexuality. It is more, the fear of ones own homosexuality. And again they cope by projecting that fear into other people.

And this quote by Lewis Black says it all for me: "Saying that homosexually is a threat to the American family and that it will somehow undermine and destroy society, is complete and utter prejudice and ignorance on a level that is staggering at this point in time.”

Edited by Odin11
1 person likes this

It is true that repressed homosexuals seem to be the loudest. Men who are confident in their sexuality couldn't care less. I think that was the problem with the Apostle Paul, too.

How does being gay benefit Humanity? I personally don't see how it helps or how it is healthy for a society. :no:

Benefiting society has nothing to do with sexuality. Where is it written that you have to benefit society? Hurray for your if you benefit society but don't expect people to care about your contributions and give you an award.
1 person likes this

You dont understand the male mind.

The thought of man on man makes my skin crawl but lesbians are hypnotic. Watching two women with tongues down each others throats is like watching Hitler. Strangely mesmerizing!

I understand to each his own, but are you insinuating that gay dudes aren't male?
1 person likes this

I have found that the ones who are the most out-spoken against homosexuality can be put into a number of categories:

1. Repressed Homosexuals

2. have an insecure sexuality

3. have a fear of their Anima- their denied “female” traits, for men or

4. have a fear of their Animus- their denied “male” traits, for women.

5. Homophobia

6. Immature and Ignorant.

3. In a society, boys are brought up to be men. It is pushed into them to deny their “female” traits. “You must never cry.” “You must be strong.” Caring and tenderness is repressed. Because of the stress these men have, because they repress their Anima, they cope by projecting their fear and anger from these strange emotions into other people. They see other men being tender and caring for others, and because these things are strange to them they lash out at it, they mock it, and say its wrong, because they have no coping ability for the feelings that they are having. And likewise for women and "male" traits.

5. Homophobia is not just an irrational hatred, disapproval, or fear of homosexuality. It is more, the fear of ones own homosexuality. And again they cope by projecting that fear into other people.

And this quote by Lewis Black says it all for me: "Saying that homosexually is a threat to the American family and that it will somehow undermine and destroy society, is complete and utter prejudice and ignorance on a level that is staggering at this point in time.”

Religion?

Non-liberal ideals?

Psychology?