Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

shrooma

that was my original question Mr, 'would you allow your child to be punished'?

Yes, but only if I agree he/she had misbehaved

• Like 1

(and not forgetting gangsta rap either!)

And in my part of the world, I see a correlation between kids' level of respect and the way families are depicted on television. Dumb adults in general, clueless father, self-obsessed mother, and sarcastic, worldly kids.

• Like 4

maybe if they knew they were going to get a good hiding, they wouldn't....?

don't get me wrong, i'm not getting ready to jump when the 'flog 'em 'til they bleed' bandwagon rolls past, I can see the merit in both sides of the argument, but I can't help thinking that lack of dicipline plays a big part in kids' attitudes towards others these days!

(and not forgetting gangsta rap either!)

:-)

I think, as has been said before in the thread, that it is a matter of discipline at home that needs addressing far more than at schools.

• Like 1

Yes, but only if I agree he/she had misbehaved

with other forms of punishment available, with caning being used as the last resort, i'm pretty sure you could be certain they'd done something wrong!

but I agree, it's a punishment that should be only used with permission. only problem is, it's the parents with the worst kids who probably wouldn't allow it!

I think, as has been said before in the thread, that it is a matter of discipline at home that needs addressing far more than at schools.

what then ex, bring back the stocks for bad parents?

i'm game if you are...!

:-)

• Like 1

They (not all, but some) have a don't-care attitude about misbehaving.

don't you feel that being able to mete out harsher punishment would be a deterrent though JK? when I was thirteen, the prospect of being caned wasn't in the least bit attractive!

don't you feel that being able to mete out harsher punishment would be a deterrent though JK? when I was thirteen, the prospect of being caned wasn't in the least bit attractive!

I think it would for some, but for others it would be just a joke to them, or just makes them more resentful of authority. I truly don't know what the best answer would be.

• Like 1

I think it would for some, but for others it would be just a joke to them, or just makes them more resentful of authority. I truly don't know what the best answer would be.

neither do I JK.

I started this thread not to put my put my view forward, to force my opinion on others, but as a genuine interest on how people felt about the issue, and you, as a teacher, are probably more qualified than most to at least understand the argument.

my own view though, having two 12yo girls, is that if they'd done something wrong, and I wasn't there to reprimand them, then i'd allow someone with the authority to do so, do so, but that's just my opinion, and not one i'm going to impress on others.

with other forms of punishment available, with caning being used as the last resort, i'm pretty sure you could be certain they'd done something wrong!

but I agree, it's a punishment that should be only used with permission. only problem is, it's the parents with the worst kids who probably wouldn't allow it!

If they are a problem and the parents wont let them be punished they the school should expel them.

• Like 1

I think the opposite about cameras. It would be a massive invasion of privacy and how secure would school networks be from attacks to get such videos? It's a dark path, the road of constant surveillance.

With 30 students and a teacher in each classroom, just what privacy would one expect? Seriously, there is no privacy in school, except maybe in the bathrooms.

A little paranoid about the videos? A system could be set up that was internal only. And if nothing happened that day, all videos get deleted. Really not a big deal and it certainly would create a less disruptive environment in the classrooms.

I do understand your position though and said that not everyone would like it......it is an option though.

Besides, I doubt most unruly kids would care too much about a camera. After all, they already act as such with a teacher in the room.

But with a camera, The school would know who did what and to whom. Neither side could get away with anything......

• Like 1

A school is a school not punishment for children

A school is a place for learning,if parents would teach their own children the difference between right and wrong anymore then there would be no need in corporal punishment.This is not the case though most parents send their little brats to school just to not have to deal with them.It is not a teachers job to be the community babysitter.If the parent cannot discipline their child and teach them how to act then someone should.Just my opinion

• Like 1

A school is a place for learning,if parents would teach their own children the difference between right and wrong anymore then there would be no need in corporal punishment.This is not the case though most parents send their little brats to school just to not have to deal with them.It is not a teachers job to be the community babysitter.If the parent cannot discipline their child and teach them how to act then someone should.

Just my opinion

but not just your opinion king.

mine too.

• Like 1

It has got to the point shrooma everyone thinks that having any discipline or moral thinking is a bad thing and everyone should just run around doing and acting as they damn well please.Well this is the reason our prison system is so overloaded and crime is so bad.There will always be bad people,but being taught right from wrong from a early age and knowing there can and will be consequences if you do wrong helps a few atleast avoid trouble later in life.

A school is a school not punishment for children

So we should just let unruly children continue to be unruly, learn nothing and disrupt the education of the other children?

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

So we should just let unruly children continue to be unruly, learn nothing and disrupt the education of the other children?

Its been a while since I was at school but they used to filter out the unruly kids and send them to a special needs school because of their behaviour problems.

Its been a while since I was at school but they used to filter out the unruly kids and send them to a special needs school because of their behaviour problems.

Nowadays, however, if a teacher just puts an unruly kid into a classroom all by himself to stop him disrupting class the teachers involved plus the headmistress of the school get suspended: http://www.dailymail...-old-pupil.html

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Nowadays, however, if a teacher just puts an unruly kid into a classroom all by himself to stop him disrupting class the teachers involved plus the headmistress of the school get suspended: http://www.dailymail...-old-pupil.html

Discipline is for squares Last.All it does is help you be a successful,functioning,well mannered human being.This type of person has shown to be the one who has to pay for the lazy,uneducated,loudmouth that is the "it" thing desired to be in todays world.

Get with the program old man :lol: jk

If kids are so unruly and violent how on Earth do you expect them to be any less if you show them that inflicting pain is a legitimate way to force conformity?

My bad-mouthed, occasionaly totaly disrespective grandson would disgree on any corporal punishment, at home or school.

Wonder what attitude he will grow-up with. Makes me sad.

EDIT: When I was younger, I got an occasional slapping at home, belt whip from school, and I do NOT regret any of it; looking back at my asinine behavior. Helped to straighten me out.

Now it seem's one might go to jail for a short time, and the kid's know it, and use it against you.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

If kids are so unruly and violent how on Earth do you expect them to be any less if you show them that inflicting pain is a legitimate way to force conformity?

Yes you are correct lets just take their tv away for a couple of hours,seems to be working real well now days.

It is called a deterent,or consequences for their actions something that is lost on this generation.12-15 years back when i was in high school corporal punishment was still allowed,i was on the football team so if i got in trouble not only did i get punished i then had to deal with my coach and that would be running 20 stadiums minimum.I tried keeping my ass out of trouble because of it!

• Like 1

"Consequences"

Yeah. Gentle but firm. :yes:

• Like 1

Exactly palladin lessons are taught not just known.Just taking away the material then sending them off to be the equivalent of baby sat does nothing.Cradle if you want to figure out a better answer then look into a way of making all of these losers who get woman pregnant then run off to do their own thing stick around and be responsible.Until then someone has to teach them discipline,manners,and knowledge.

Before I say something I would like to quote a bit of James Stannage...

Reward the good behaviour and ignore the bad.

So with that in mind I'm against corporal punishment.

Surely there's better ways of making an attitude adjustment.

Because in my eyes violence begets violence.

Parents and schoolteachers need to be more lenient instead of whacking their kids backside with a slipper or cane.

It just sounds too much like boot camp.

If your kids have got an psychological problem see a shrink or social worker.

However some kids are so scarred by sexual abuse it seems like there's no easy way out.

Edited by Medium Brown