Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trying to Remember a Great Story

D2thaShizzle

Hello everyone

These past few days I've been trying to remember a story that I read in a quiet, dusty section of my school library, a few years ago. I think this was from a Reader's Digest book on stories people have written about ghosts and ancient tales, and such. Please note that this is all that I can remember -

The story opened with a captain of a whaling vessel in the 19th century, sailing in the Gulf Stream. His crew members managed to recover a message-in-a-bottle, floating in the sea. He opened it, and found an amazingly old piece of paper, and written on it was a weird account. The story told, in the first person, about a man who had discovered huge caverns "at the source of the Gulf Stream." I found this all very odd, as the Gulf Stream has no "source" on land. He had (supposedly) discovered remnants of an ancient civilization living in these caves long before he had gotten there. Near the mouth of the cave, he saw a drawing on the wall of the people being chased into the cave by a fire-breathing dragon. He got to the cavern floor, and saw rope ladders and ropes leading up to smaller, higher chambers. One of these chambers he called the War Room, and it had weapons and ancient cave drawings showing battle. Later in the story, a cave collapse trapped him in the caves forever. It didn't mention how he survived without food. There was, supposedly, a river flowing out of the cave, though not big enough for him to fit through. This is all I can recount.

Have any of you ever heard of this story, or ANY stories like it? I've searched Google a lot trying to find any keywords or any mention of the story, but I can't, and it's probably because I can't remember the title. Anyway, BIG thanks to anyone who can help me.

Edited by D2thaShizzle

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SHaYap

• D2thaShizzle

• Myles

• TheSearcher

Why not?

You are absolutely right, why not indeed ... I was just curious about the here and now

out of curiosity, did you check with Readers Digest's website?

No, because I wasn't sure if it was Readers Digest or not. But thanks, I'll do that.