Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Render

SA: donkey meat sold as beef

2 posts in this topic

Donkey, water buffalo and goat meat have been sold as burgers and sausages in South Africa, a study says.

A study published by the local Stellenbosch University found that 99 of 139 samples contained species not declared in the product label.

It found soya and gluten were not labelled in 28% of products tested, undeclared pork in 37% and chicken in 23%

This was mostly in sausages, burger patties and deli meats, it said.

The disclosure comes at a time of a growing scandal in Europe about horsemeat being sold as beef.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21588575

I am amazed when anyone who eats ground up or processed meats get all suprised and angered when it is discovered there is several unlisted ingredients in them.This has been common knowledge for many decades why so suprised now?If one enjoyed them before knowing exactly what is in it,i do not know why they wouldnt afterwards.Not like knowing changes the taste or already poor quality.This is one reason why when i want burgers i buy sirloin and have it ground fresh,most butchers if asked do not mind letting someone watch what they do.Might even here a few funny or disgusting tales hahaha