Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

Render

I don't see whaling being very harmful to the populations of the hunted whales. They are pretty high! If they maintain their limits, I really do not see the problem.

I suggest you look again. The numbers have been going down for decades (besides the slight spikes due to restrictions). Something cannot keep going down without eventually hitting the bottom.

• Like 1

The consequences of our collective attitude problem is a lot more systemic than just whales and Japan too. Cousteau was right; the oceans are dying in our time. We should be ramming long liners, disposing of longlines wherever we may find them, destroying fishing vessels that are known to be taking these disappearing resources from a dying ecosystem and fighting for much more severe laws against the depletion of marine life and habitats. The ocean is responsible for all life on earth. We can't disrupt the food chain like we are, killing 10s OF MILLIONS of sharks every year, and expect there not to be disastrous consequences. Our grandchildren won't be able to get a decent filet of fish. Jellyfish sandwiches will be everywhere though. Bon appetit.

53 years to exterminate 90% of large species. This is madness.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html

• Like 6

So zip it and eat your beef.

Not a big fan of free speech and ideas are we? And what else do you propose other than farming?

This farm animal bit doesn't even apply to Sea Shepherd which is a vegan organization, so if that's the best you folks can do, direct your criticism elsewhere.

Fine.

You *snip* (have) no idea of just how dangerous these pirates are.

There. Criticism directed away from your precious Whale-SS.

Edited by Paranoid Android
insult removed

Mind your own business. Its not your backyard,

I fail to see the connection. Or am I just glad us Germans don't do that. :unsure: Well, the Japanese, just like any other nationality, are not bad per se.

And I'd like to add: Japan is not the only nation that is hunting whales.

Shark finning

Dolphin Killing

There is more, but why bother.

The bombs were not big enough....They are the biggest culprits when it comes to over fishing, and killing to extinction. Although, they are human, just part of the cancer cluster, just the biggest part.

We need a plague.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of free speech and ideas are we? And what else do you propose other than farming?

Fine.

You *snip* (have) no idea of just how dangerous these pirates are.

There. Criticism directed away from your precious Whale-SS.

Are the Japanese going to starve unless they travel 7,000 miles away from Japan to a whale sanctuary to find whales to kill? What else do I propose other than farming? Do I need something else?

How dangerous these pirates are! LOL you're in a small minority in New Zealand of all places.

Since 1978, whales within New Zealand’s 200-nautical-mile (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone have been protected under the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978. Killing a whale or other cetacean without a permit is punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or a fine of up to NZ$250,000.[5] Efforts are now often made to save whales that have stranded or have become entangled in marine debris.

There is a vocal antiwhaling sentiment in New Zealand. The Government regularly attends the International Whaling Commission meetings and supports the moratorium on whaling, as well as advocating for the creation of whale sanctuaries.[6]

quoted edited
  • Like 3

I love the Japanese people and their culture, but I hate the whaling side of it all. It ticks me off and makes me view their industries in a bad light.

Mind your own business. Its not your backyard,

Actually, given our geographic proximity to Antartica, I'd consider it to be part of whatever "definition" of yard you are using. After all, you are the same person who confused Australia with Arizona.

Are the Japanese going to starve unless they travel 7,000 miles away from Japan to a whale sanctuary to find whales to kill?

Of course not. But in saying that, why do these countries send fishing vessels similar distances to fish in the Antartic?

LOL you're in a small minority in New Zealand of all places.

Interesting you say that. You seem to know more about my country than I do so let's see what you have to say for yourself...

Since 1978, whales within New Zealand’s 200-nautical-mile (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone have been protected under the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978. Killing a whale or other cetacean without a permit is punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or a fine of up to NZ$250,000.[5] Efforts are now often made to save whales that have stranded or have become entangled in marine debris.

There is a vocal antiwhaling sentiment in New Zealand. The Government regularly attends the International Whaling Commission meetings and supports the moratorium on whaling, as well as advocating for the creation of whale sanctuaries.[6]

I'm well aware of the anti-whaling movement in New Zealand. But our current government hasn't done anything about it? Why? Because it wasn't our problem. The SS are claiming that the Japanese are fishing in Australian waters. And, the Australians are taking the Japanese to court.

So, in repeat of what I said earlier, you *snip* have no idea what's going on.

insult removed

Like always. Everyone is an idiot except for yourself. :tsu: Im gonna have to say being an idiot is not all that bad by your description of your peers.

Like always. Everyone is an idiot except for yourself. :tsu: Im gonna have to say being an idiot is not all that bad by your description of your peers.

Except of course, you are not "my peers". Only people with intellect are "my peers". And in case you haven't noticed, there is a lot of idiocy on this forum.

I'm merely the one that points it out. Don't shoot the messenger is the applicable colloquialism, is it not?

Actually, given our geographic proximity to Antartica, I'd consider it to be part of whatever "definition" of yard you are using. After all, you are the same person who confused Australia with Arizona.

Of course not. But in saying that, why do these countries send fishing vessels similar distances to fish in the Antartic?

Interesting you say that. You seem to know more about my country than I do so let's see what you have to say for yourself...

I'm well aware of the anti-whaling movement in New Zealand. But our current government hasn't done anything about it? Why? Because it wasn't our problem. The SS are claiming that the Japanese are fishing in Australian waters. And, the Australians are taking the Japanese to court.

So, in repeat of what I said earlier, you are an idiot and you have no idea what's going on.

Governments never side with nature over profits until nature is at its perilous end and then it's usually too late. I don't have faith in the NZ government or any other government (with Australia's the only plausible exception) but I do have faith in the people of New Zealand. What I had to say for "myself" I posted from the encyclopedia, sources cited at the bottom of the page. You imply there's a pro-whaling group in New Zealand that's larger than the widespread agreement with me in NZ to oppose whaling. Can you provide a link to it?

No, Australia is claiming that the Japanese are whaling in Australian waters. SS isn't telling them what to say in court, SS is only catching them in the act at the time and places they do.

My IQ is at 94 or 95 tops, so I wish I had another 29 or 30 points to keep up with your many insightful and intelligent points.

I love the Japanese people and their culture, but I hate the whaling side of it all. It ticks me off and makes me view their industries in a bad light.

“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”

Brigid Brophy

• Like 2

I don't have faith in the NZ government or any other government (with Australia's the only plausible exception) but I do have faith in the people of New Zealand.

Is this because we're staying out of it because it is not of our concern?

You imply there's a pro-whaling group in New Zealand that's larger than the widespread agreement with me in NZ to oppose whaling.

Once again, Yam, you're making **** up. I haven't said or even implied that there is a pro-whaling movement in New Zealand. This is more or less about you sticking your nose into a topic about something that's happening on the other side of the world and claiming to know something about it through "profound" one liners like some tired Hollywood actor.

No, Australia is claiming that the Japanese are whaling in Australian waters.

Paul Watson said so himself. Can't really argue with words straight from the horse's mouth.

SS isn't telling them what to say in court, SS is only catching them in the act at the time and places they do.

Of course not. SS is all about being media whores. When you disown members of your own organisation when they do end up in court, it just goes to show what these people are. Two-faced pieces of ****.

My IQ is at 94 or 95 tops, so I wish I had another 29 or 30 points to keep up with your many insightful and intelligent points.

I'm surprised it's that high. Maybe you could ask your God to perform some sort of miracle.

• Like 1

The consequences of our collective attitude problem is a lot more systemic than just whales and Japan too. Cousteau was right; the oceans are dying in our time. We should be ramming long liners, disposing of longlines wherever we may find them, destroying fishing vessels that are known to be taking these disappearing resources from a dying ecosystem and fighting for much more severe laws against the depletion of marine life and habitats. The ocean is responsible for all life on earth. We can't disrupt the food chain like we are, killing 10s OF MILLIONS of sharks every year, and expect there not to be disastrous consequences. Our grandchildren won't be able to get a decent filet of fish. Jellyfish sandwiches will be everywhere though. Bon appetit.

53 years to exterminate 90% of large species. This is madness.

http://news.national...ishdecline.html

So true. A good measuring tool is the Great Barrier Coral Reef, one of the seven wonders of this world, which has lost about half of it's corals due to pollution and over fishing. It's waters alone harbor more than 30 whale species and a wide diversity of marine life.

A world disaster coming our way soon thanks to our mindlessness and greed.

• Like 2

So true. A good measuring tool is the Great Barrier Coral Reef, one of the seven wonders of this world, which has lost about half of it's corals due to pollution and over fishing. It's waters alone harbor more than 30 whale species and a wide diversity of marine life.

A world disaster coming our way soon thanks to our mindlessness and greed.

Yes, Japanese whaling is symptomatic of a much greater problem. If Japanese stopped whaling, that would be one victory among many that must be won. Future generations will only read about coral reefs like we read about dinosaurs.

• Like 2

Is this because we're staying out of it because it is not of our concern?

Once again, Yam, you're making **** up. I haven't said or even implied that there is a pro-whaling movement in New Zealand. This is more or less about you sticking your nose into a topic about something that's happening on the other side of the world and claiming to know something about it through "profound" one liners like some tired Hollywood actor.

Paul Watson said so himself. Can't really argue with words straight from the horse's mouth.

Of course not. SS is all about being media whores. When you disown members of your own organisation when they do end up in court, it just goes to show what these people are. Two-faced pieces of ****.

I'm surprised it's that high. Maybe you could ask your God to perform some sort of miracle.

The oceans are everyone's concern. They're dying in our time and someone living on an island more reliant on the oceans than anyone ought to be among the first to figure that out for your own sake. I'm glad that I was correct to inform you how against your own countrymen you are now that I know that there is no pro-whaling movement in New Zealand. Paul Watson has lived a marine life and fought and won against whalers for decades. What comes out of his mouth is expertise nobody else has. Its the "exper" in experience that's unmatched. Sea Shepherd masterfully manipulates the media because it understands how those talking heads work. Want to draw attention to an issue? Get Pamela Anderson or Brigitte Bardot to expose an issue and millions end up hearing about it. Ignorance never solved any problem. Only knowledge did that. What problem will you solve? What have you done? What God is my God? You know nothing about me, obviously. Go find something positive in the world to spend your time doing instead of insulting strangers on the internet.

• Like 2

The oceans are everyone's concern.

Only if their government has sovereignty over them or when trade is at risk. And we all know how you love sovereignty and trade, do you not?

They're dying in our time and someone living on an island more reliant on the oceans than anyone ought to be among the first to figure that out for your own sake.

First thing's first: NZ relies on it's agriculture more than it relies on its oceans. Granted, New Zealand's fishing industry is quite large, but we are dealing with environmental issues (and some worker related issues too) in our own way.

I'm glad that I was correct to inform you how against your own countrymen you are now that I know that there is no pro-whaling movement in New Zealand.

Because you correctly informing me of something you completely made up of your own accord is making you look better? Interesting logic this.

Paul Watson has lived a marine life and fought and won against whalers for decades.

So he lives the life of a pirate then, given the amount of ships he has sunk (or claimed to have).

What comes out of his mouth is expertise nobody else has.

On piracy, yes. On actual conservation? Not quite.

Sea Shepherd masterfully manipulates the media because it understands how those talking heads work. Want to draw attention to an issue? Get Pamela Anderson or Brigitte Bardot to expose an issue and millions end up hearing about it.

So in other words, it goes in provoking fights and then b****es about it when the other person strikes back? For media attention that everyone really doesn't give a **** about because it's some fat b****** getting all piggy about trying to save whales that are being harpooned before his very eyes?

Oh yes, very effective. It'd be like you aiming a gun at a cop and them complaining when he shoots you.

What problem will you solve?

Whatever problems I need to solve.

What have you done?

Whatever I think that needs to be done in my part. In my case, nothing. I don't support either side, less so Sea Shepherds. Why? Firstly, because their methods are winning them nothing but undeserved media attention. Secondly, they accomplish absolutely nothing. Thirdly, you support them. I have the added bonus of my ability to push your buttons and watching you wriggle around on the ground like a worm. It's very entertaining.

What have you done?

Laugh very loudly at your expense. Laugh very loudly at Sea Shepherd. That's doing something is it not?

Go find something positive in the world to spend your time doing instead of insulting strangers on the internet.

I am. I'm doing it right now. Exposing people's underbelly and then disemboweling them when they try to attack. It's very effective.

Only if their government has sovereignty over them or when trade is at risk. And we all know how you love sovereignty and trade, do you not?

First thing's first: NZ relies on it's agriculture more than it relies on its oceans. Granted, New Zealand's fishing industry is quite large, but we are dealing with environmental issues (and some worker related issues too) in our own way.

Because you correctly informing me of something you completely made up of your own accord is making you look better? Interesting logic this.

So he lives the life of a pirate then, given the amount of ships he has sunk (or claimed to have).

On piracy, yes. On actual conservation? Not quite.

So in other words, it goes in provoking fights and then b****es about it when the other person strikes back? For media attention that everyone really doesn't give a **** about because it's some fat b****** getting all piggy about trying to save whales that are being harpooned before his very eyes?

Oh yes, very effective. It'd be like you aiming a gun at a cop and them complaining when he shoots you.

Whatever problems I need to solve.

Whatever I think that needs to be done in my part. In my case, nothing. I don't support either side, less so Sea Shepherds. Why? Firstly, because their methods are winning them nothing but undeserved media attention. Secondly, they accomplish absolutely nothing. Thirdly, you support them. I have the added bonus of my ability to push your buttons and watching you wriggle around on the ground like a worm. It's very entertaining.

Laugh very loudly at your expense. Laugh very loudly at Sea Shepherd. That's doing something is it not?

I am. I'm doing it right now. Exposing people's underbelly and then disemboweling them when they try to attack. It's very effective.

Sea Shepherd is owning a government-subsidized poaching organization with a fraction of their annual budget doing damage orders of magnitude greater than that budget. They're probably the most effective private enterprise on the planet when doing the math. It's pretty hard to deny that every day the Japanese aren't killing whales is another day that Japanese aren't killing whales, but there will be those weird cases that come along where people will try to deny that. Sea Shepherd obviously isn't denying they're pirates (see their flag), but they're unabashedly pirates of compassion who are defeating pirates of profit. It's pretty easy to pick sides in this battle when one side's benefits are subsidized whale meat going to a few old Japanese people who still have a taste for whale meat in their mouths due to Hirohito's whale meat feeding people their daily dose of heavy metals in WW2. Australia has an EEZ and Japan will be made to respect it one way or the other. Sea Shepherd will continue to take a painful bite out of Japan's illegal whaling operation in the meantime. The Japanese whalers went running back to Japan with their tails between their legs in 2011 and cited Sea Shepherd as the reason why. Pretty lame when one with hundreds of times the resources surrenders to a tiny non-profit like Sea Shepherd, even more lame for them after they admitted it.

• Like 4

The oceans are everyone's concern.

If you really do not understand ( by facts and science ) that OUR Oceans are EVERYONES concerns, and that the Oceans are the staple of life, you have a severe issue with educating yourself.

Opinions about things are fine, but when there are facts galore that are the opposite of your opinion, it is time to admit you are wrong.

• Like 4

Sea Shepherd is owning a government-subsidized poaching organization with a fraction of their annual budget doing damage orders of magnitude greater than that budget. They're probably the most effective private enterprise on the planet when doing the math. It's pretty hard to deny that every day the Japanese aren't killing whales is another day that Japanese aren't killing whales, but there will be those weird cases that come along where people will try to deny that. Sea Shepherd obviously isn't denying they're pirates (see their flag), but they're unabashedly pirates of compassion who are defeating pirates of profit. It's pretty easy to pick sides in this battle when one side's benefits are subsidized whale meat going to a few old Japanese people who still have a taste for whale meat in their mouths due to Hirohito's whale meat feeding people their daily dose of heavy metals in WW2. Australia has an EEZ and Japan will be made to respect it one way or the other. Sea Shepherd will continue to take a painful bite out of Japan's illegal whaling operation in the meantime. The Japanese whalers went running back to Japan with their tails between their legs in 2011 and cited Sea Shepherd as the reason why. Pretty lame when one with hundreds of times the resources surrenders to a tiny non-profit like Sea Shepherd, even more lame for them after they admitted it.

I know we have not agreed on all issues in the past here at UM but I can honestly say I agree with you 100% on this one !

Who would be keeping tabs on the Japanese whale ships if the SS wans't ? How would we know if they were taking their limit or not?

I don't usually have anything nice to say about the Australian government but I will admit that the stand we take when it comes to whaling makes me proud to be an Aussie , they are a magnificent creature and keeping them safe should be a prority to EVERY country .

TiP

Edited by tipotep
  • Like 3

Sea Shepherd is owning a government-subsidized poaching organization with a fraction of their annual budget doing damage orders of magnitude greater than that budget.

I don't see how they're "owning" anyone when they haven't prevented any whales from being culled. If your precious little organisation devoted as much time to protecting whales as they do being media whores, I'm sure we could see some results.

They're probably the most effective private enterprise on the planet when doing the math.

Not really. Sea Shepherd aren't an actual business. The pirates of Somalia are more effective and operate on a much smaller budget. They actually get money in the end.

It's pretty hard to deny that every day the Japanese aren't killing whales is another day that Japanese aren't killing whales.

Of course. But in saying that, every time they kill a whale with Sea Shepherd in tow is a failure on the SS's part.

Sea Shepherd obviously isn't denying they're pirates (see their flag), but they're unabashedly pirates of compassion who are defeating pirates of profit.

Hang on, didn't you say that the SS were a profitable organisation?

The Japanese whalers went running back to Japan with their tails between their legs in 2011 and cited Sea Shepherd as the reason why.

Weren't they returning to Japan with a prisoner on board? One who attempted to arrest the captain of the whaling ship who was then completely disowned by the SS? What was his name? Pete Bethune? Was that the "Japanese defeat" you crow about?

If you really do not understand ( by facts and science ) that OUR Oceans are EVERYONES concerns, and that the Oceans are the staple of life, you have a severe issue with educating yourself.

I don't have a serious issue with educating myself. I routinely do so on many occasions. You on the other hand, well, let's just say your post is just full of constructive opinions.

Opinions about things are fine, but when there are facts galore that are the opposite of your opinion, it is time to admit you are wrong.

Now, I will admit when I am wrong if someone actually points it out for me. Until then, you may continue to fling feces.

Also, facts? Since when has there been "facts" in anything Yammy-wammy posted? Although I did enjoy the "defeat" of the Japanese whaling fleet that had sunk an SS boat and had taken one of their captains prisoner. That was entertaining.

Sometimes the only victory is being defeated in a way of your choosing MichealW.

SS stopping refueling time and again - victory.

SS recording international law violations - victory.

Not stopping whales from being culled - not a victory.

Not stopping the ships from coming- not a victory.

Now, I will admit when I am wrong if someone actually points it out for me. Until then, you may continue to fling feces.

Admitting your wrong is fine. Its a sign of mature debate when you can concede when you have erred in your opinion/fact finding...flinging feces along the way will get you put in a padded cell in most countries. :cry:

LONG LIVE THE WHALE MAMMAL !!

• Like 2