Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'safe' nuclear fuel?

shrooma

as an alternative to fossil fuels, should we be building thorium reactors and phasing out uranium reactors?

Not sure about the issues elsewhere but in the US it takes many years to get permission for construction of a reactor. People have an irrational fear of radiation and despite evidence to the contrary they make it extremely difficult to use. But I agree that this source makes MUCH more sense - especially from a proliferation stand point. The choice of Uranium instead pretty much proves the real intent of a nation wanting to start up with nuclear power. They want to leave the option open to increase their status or leverage by the implied threat of nuclear weapons potential. Eventually I think it will mean the end of our current civilization.

• Like 2

the ones that wants it don't have the money, the ones that have the money don't wants it now because they're still making money with what they have and is using now without risking much more money

:D

• Like 1

this source makes MUCH more sense - especially from a proliferation stand point. The choice of Uranium instead pretty much proves the real intent of a nation wanting to start up with nuclear power.

to me, the non-proliferation point is its key factor. removing the threat of the construction of a 'dirty bomb' should be used as a major selling point, but as you rightly point out, people have an irrational fear of the word 'nuclear'.

india is making strides in thorium technology, and more or less proves they're in it for the energy, not the armaments, something iran should've noted if they want the rest of the world to take them seriously!

• Like 1

the ones that wants it don't have the money, the ones that have the money don't wants it now because they're still making money with what they have and is using now without risking much more money

:D

proof, if ever needed, that thinking with our wallets is a b-a-d idea.....

proof, if ever needed, that thinking with our wallets is a b-a-d idea.....

says you, they are apparently more than a little proud of themselves

says you, they are apparently more than a little proud of themselves

-

maybe they should take marcellus wallace's advice when it comes to pride....

:-)

I suppose if we must we must, and this is better than what we have now.

it's more abundant than uranium, cheaper, more energy efficient, less hazardous to humans, not as damaging to the environment, and incredibly difficult to make into weapons. I can't understand why we started using uranium in the first place, and certainly not why we haven't scrapped it in favour of thorium. these decisions are made by politicians, not industrialists, so it would be interesting to learn their motivations. pressure needs to be put on them to change, they are supposed to represent us after all.....

• Like 2

uranium enrichment creates a lot of by products essential to some of the economic empires today

these leeches now exists beyond the control of humans, the numbers makes the choices, the 'heads' or 'leaders' are mere figureheads, easily replaceable, the system structure remains unchanged at the core, who even remembers 'sweat shops' I wonder

it's more abundant than uranium, cheaper, more energy efficient, less hazardous to humans, not as damaging to the environment, and incredibly difficult to make into weapons. I can't understand why we started using uranium in the first place, and certainly not why we haven't scrapped it in favour of thorium. these decisions are made by politicians, not industrialists, so it would be interesting to learn their motivations. pressure needs to be put on them to change, they are supposed to represent us after all.....

OK, I'm persuaded. I wish my opinion mattered.
  • Like 2

It's also harder to find, and you can't create medical isotopes from it. Though, if more adopt the Indian approach, it will become easier to find and mine as it becomes more profitable to do so.

• Like 3

OK, I'm persuaded. I wish my opinion mattered.

everybody's opinion should matter in a democracy frank!

I think nothing's being done because not many people have heard of it, i've never been approached by anyone campaigning on its behalf, and i'm a regular at protests.

I think awareness is an issue, as with most things, but there's very little in the media about it, and information of any kind is scarce at best, unfortunately!

Where I live is not exactly a democracy, and I do have some influence here and there but not on energy matters. Vietnam seems determined to go the imported LNG route, having used all the available hydroelectric sites, and not succeeding in finding significant other resources. As a way to break from oil and coal I guess it's the best of several distasteful choices.

• Like 1

this page makes a rather interesting point ex-

http://nucleargreen.blogspot.com/2008/03/abundance-of-thorium.html?m=1

that there's not much incentive for mining companies to prospect for thorium as there is very little demand for it.

make me the emperor of the world, and i'll make sure thorium mining becomes very profitable indeed!

• Like 1

Vietnam seems determined to go the imported LNG route.

my parents live in spain, and they've taken the same route. there's no gas supply at all in spain apart from bottled LNG. we have direct supplies of natural gas from the north sea fields, but if we didn't, we'd either be using the bottled stuff, or being extorted by the russian gas monopoly!

Not sure about the issues elsewhere but in the US it takes many years to get permission for construction of a reactor. People have an irrational fear of radiation and despite evidence to the contrary they make it extremely difficult to use. But I agree that this source makes MUCH more sense - especially from a proliferation stand point. The choice of Uranium instead pretty much proves the real intent of a nation wanting to start up with nuclear power. They want to leave the option open to increase their status or leverage by the implied threat of nuclear weapons potential. Eventually I think it will mean the end of our current civilization.

Yeah, kind of like saccharine. A couple of old flawed studies seemed to indicate it might cause health problems but 5x the number of studies have indicated that it does not have any relationship to those same health problems, but people still think it causes cancer.