Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GREAT Britain=60 million acre island resort

little_dreamer

i'm lucky enough to have lived all over the UK, cornwall, somerset, south wales, wiltshire, yorkshire, and it's beautiful. my family come from ireland, which has some great scenery, and scotland looks fantastic in all weathers (fortunately!), so i, for one, am glad I live in britain.

is it any coincidence that bill bryson, the world's best travel writer, came to live over here? (particularly in yorkshire.)

compared to many other places, the UK is very, very green, and that's always a good thing!

nowhere else has such a range of moorland, mountains, dales, dramatic coastlines, valleys and fells, and on the right day, can beat anything any other country has to offer in terms of scenery.

people who say britain isn't beautiful really should get out more and travel it, instead of relying on the bits they see on eastenders.

-a proud yorkshireman and briton.

And don't forget the streets of London are paved with gold, that's why we get all the asylum seekers coming in.
  • Like 1

When I am queen of the entire country, not just the North, I'll teach 'em. ;)

my nickname, amongst my friends, is 'the fool'

not because i'm stoopid or anything, but because of the fact that with all my skills/talents/knowledge, I should be emperor of the world by now,

but i'm not.

I need three things to take over the world-

1) a longbow apache gunship.

2) a voice like neil diamond.

3) a clitoris on the roof of my mouth.

if I had all three, then rest assured, you would all be bending your knee to me, but the simple fact is, I don't have any of them, so we'll all have to put up with the sh!te system of ''democracy''/''capitalism'' that we have at the moment.

unless someone out there has an apache gunship and a spare clitoris they're not using.....?

• Like 2

too cold up there. the weather is always crap

maybe i've got this wrong, but isn't someone with a right-wing point of view supposed to defend his country?

i've just spent the last 18mths in liverpool, and your point of view couldn't be any more wrong if you'd copy/pasted it from lamestereotypes.com

live up to your name, mr right wing, and promote the land of your birth, instead of slating it.

Its okay the bottom end come in use.

Whenever we have a major war we need cannon fodder lol.

• Like 2

Its okay the bottom end come in use.

Whenever we have a major war we need cannon fodder lol.

as long as every x-factor/strictly/big brother/britain's talentless/TOWIE/made in chelsea on ice ******* gets sent to the front line, then i'm voting you in for king of the world!!

:-)

• Like 1

as long as every x-factor/strictly/big brother/britain's talentless/TOWIE/made in chelsea on ice ******* gets sent to the front line, then i'm voting you in for king of the world!!

:-)

Carry on like that and I might make you a favourite

and let you rule North America lol

Carry on like that and I might make you a favourite

and let you rule North America lol

aw hey!

what did I do wrong??

:-D

I think that a lot of it is cool.

Just hate some of the laws.

• Like 1

I think that a lot of it is cool.

Just hate some of the laws.

ali, you have to put yourself beyond the laws, compadre.

I was raised by a load of irish pagans, and spent years living as part of a 'hippie commune', setting up festivals, getting sound systems together, selling mushrooms to hawkwind, and apart from castle morton, when our rig got nicked, the law has never meant anything to me.

try it.

trust me, you'll like it.....

;-)

• Like 2

My grandmother has just bought herself a luxury caravan at a huge caravan park at Cleveleys, near Blackpool. Hers is one of just two out of the hundreds of caravans there that are the absolute top notch luxury ones. On the caravan park there is a club, a pub, an amusements, a little funfair, a swimming pool, and other things like that. And it's only a short ride from all the fun things you can do at Blackpool, Europe's most popular seaside resort.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

My grandmother has just bought herself a luxury caravan at a huge caravan park at Cleveleys, near Blackpool. Hers is one of just two out of the hundreds of caravans there that are the absolute top notch luxury ones. On the caravan park there is a club, a pub, an amusements, a little funfair, a swimming pool, and other things like that. And it's only a short ride from all the fun things you can do at Blackpool, Europe's most popular seaside resort.

:w00t: Can I... can I have a link to that, please?

I mean, the Illuminations (this thread will probably come up now whenever someone searches UM for the Illuminati, ha!) and Pleasure Beach are pretty good, but it's not where I'd pick to go on holiday. Maybe I live too near...

Don't go to London or Manchester?

So you want tourists to come to Britain but not visit Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, Hyde Park, Harrods, St Paul's Cathedral, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, the Tate Modern, the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, the Science Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Madame Tussauds, the Royal Museums Greenwich, the Manchester Ship Canal, the Museum of Science and Industry, Old Trafford, the Emirates, the MEN Arena, the Lowry Outlet Mall, Canal Street, the Royal Exhange Theatre, the Imperial War Museum North, and places near Manchester like Salford Docks, Salford's Lowry Centre and Salford's MediaCityUK, the new home of much of the BBC?

I'm going to be as serious as cancer here.

We've seen every nook and cranny of the UK.

But how are we going to sell our particular county?

As well as those you said we've got the Trafford Centre,the Ethiaad ,Old Trafford and the M60.

I don't think she really wants to see a football match but she might need some retail therapy.

It has to be said though that things are much more expensive here unless you go to Primark.

But I'll have to say Middleton is a pretty drab satellite town.

You see a lot of Edgar Wood's architecture and even a crooked pub.

But it's just an other urban hellhole that could be a suburb of anything.

I assure you it wasn't always that way because it was thriving when cotton was king.

Because Bolton's bigger it's bound to have more history and appeal.

Still Middleton's my home and I don't want to change it really.

Edited by Medium Brown

I'm not far from Manchester... I live 10 miles from Town straight up the A6 by the Goyt Valley and the Peak National Park. It has the most beautiful scenery, canals, country pubs and stunning walks.

• Like 1

@ Medium Brown.

"We've seen every nook and cranny of the UK.

You obviously weren't looking very well...

So your telling me that you've seen all the stunning little villages in Cambridgeshire with the rows of thatched cottages.

Or Seen the sun set of the Lakes in Autumn.

Spent a summer day on the white sand at the Gower in South Wales.

Walked along hadrian's wall with a cool winter breeze then walking into a rural pub and warmed your self by an open fire with a Pint and some home cooked food.

Done the Ghost walk around York walls on a clear Halloween.

Taken a bike ride through Thetford Forest/Forest of Dean on a spring afternoon.

Seen the New Years fireworks on the Thames.

Listened to the Cannons at Edinburgh castle.

Watched the Sun setting over the Islands of the Mull of Kintrye.

Stood around a bon fire and watched a public firework display.

Been to a Village fete on May day.

Driven down the coast from Dublin to Cork.

I could go on and on.

NO, You mention retail therapy at PRIMARK!!! Also Why would someone travel to the UK an Visit the M60. And to the others whinging about Chavs. Why would you travel here and go to a council estate. Would you travel to the USA to visit a Ghetto or a trailer park. Or visit Paris and visit the outer suburbs. As for Football, why the hell would anyone want to go and watch a bunch of overpaid fannies run around after a ball and fall over if someone brushes past them.

At original poster. We have our fair share of problems with politicians and chavs. But one I feel that we have an abundance of is whiners and moaners b****ing about everything.

Ah Monday morning rant over....

• Like 2

Just don't goto London, Manchester, infact any of the cities. The countryside and highlands are really nice. Oh the lake district too,

I will say that being a Londoner myself, there are some areas which I would recommend staying away from, but who knows, maybe some tourists like to see those areas as part of their tour?

The reason I left London was because I have seen the changes in the area I lived and they were not for the better. But this is not to say there are still some fantastic places to visit. I moved to the country and love it, but the good memories of London will always be in my heart.

• Like 1

Would you travel to the USA to visit a Ghetto or a trailer park. Or visit Paris and visit the outer suburbs.

I went to the US many years ago, and we drove through a small ghetto, it was actually very interesting to see how other people live. Just because you do not want to rent a room there for the week, does not mean its not of interest to some.

So your telling me that you've seen all the stunning little villages in Cambridgeshire with the rows of thatched cottages.

Walked along hadrian's wall with a cool winter breeze then walking into a rural pub and warmed your self by an open fire with a Pint and some home cooked food.

I could go on and on.

NO, You mention retail therapy at PRIMARK!!! Also Why would someone travel to the UK an Visit the M60. And to the others whinging about Chavs. Why would you travel here and go to a council estate. Would you travel to the USA to visit a Ghetto or a trailer park. Or visit Paris and visit the outer suburbs. As for Football, why the hell would anyone want to go and watch a bunch of overpaid fannies run around after a ball and fall over if someone brushes past them.

I already thought we've already gone through ever nook and cranny.

And besides when I said that I was actually referring to all the descriptions here.

Including yours which has surely covered all the bases from John O Groats to Lands End.

However I think your pretty dissipointed that I didn't share the other posters enthusiasm for the countryside.

Anybody would think I didn't enjoy it but it's about getting your priorities straight.

Beggars can't be choosers and besides if you don't know family like me you would stay in Middleton too.

If it wasn't for them I'll definetly attempt to hike in the Lake District.

The mountain of my dreams is waiting there for me to climb it...

However of all your possible attractions the only one I've been close to is Hadrian's Wall.

Mind you it was a case of we came,we saw,then we left which does make us look shallow.

I know I should have widened my field but I had my own county on my brain.

The most cynical people would think that the M60 is nothing more than a glorified cordon.

She could always get her retail therapy from the village Arts And Crafts shop.

I think your being a bit tad unfair about football because it's a driving passion in the UK.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

My point was that we haven't gone through every nook and cranny, not even close. I get annoyed when every time there's a post (on this site, public forums, or especially major news site, etc) about visiting the UK there's this barrage of trolling by whiners, "oh it rains to much", "oh there's chavs", "oh the rich people are rich". But the moment you scratch beneath the surface they've not ventured out of their little town. Other than to some Spanish all inclusive where they flock to the first Union Jack or St Georges cross and talk about how we do things better at home.

But now I come to think of it, I'm not sure whether I get annoyed from being patriotic or just having a very low tolerance for whinny people.

As for football. I will not dispute that it a huge driving passion and rightly so. Its one of the greatest exports we have made. But you cannot deny that its played by a load of over paid babies, falling over to basically cheat. And our national team is a bloody joke.

My point was that we haven't gone through every nook and cranny, not even close. I get annoyed when every time there's a post (on this site, public forums, or especially major news site, etc) about visiting the UK there's this barrage of trolling by whiners, "oh it rains to much", "oh there's chavs", "oh the rich people are rich". But the moment you scratch beneath the surface they've not ventured out of their little town. Other than to some Spanish all inclusive where they flock to the first Union Jack or St Georges cross and talk about how we do things better at home.

But now I come to think of it, I'm not sure whether I get annoyed from being patriotic or just having a very low tolerance for whinny people.

As for football. I will not dispute that it a huge driving passion and rightly so. Its one of the greatest exports we have made. But you cannot deny that its played by a load of over paid babies, falling over to basically cheat. And our national team is a bloody joke.

If you see my first post on this thread I was actually been tongue in cheek.

I don't think Chavs are much of a big deal as I was making out there.

I wasn't even glorifying them or making out their haunts are the ideal places for tourists.

So it's make me wonder what side of the fence you are when it's come to them.

You moan about people moaning about Chavs but did I give the impression I was moaning.

I was really struggling to find anything worthy to say about Greater Manchester and I failed.

I'm not some kind of troll who moans about everything regardless how trivial.

Now we've got that out of the way I do venture outside of my little town.

And truth be told I would like these excursions to be of a more permanent nature.

I'm not the hater of country life your making me out to be.

We'll call it a draw on the football.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

I think your taking this a little more personally than I first intended, my intention was not to offend. I picked your statement rather than the others as you claimed "as seriously as cancer" seen every nook and cranny of the country but you could only come up with a football stadium, a shopping centre and a motorway as places of interest.

Now I've only been to Manchester a couple of times. But you live on the doorstep and can't find anything worthy to say? What about the nightlife, the restaurants, the music scene, the museums, the historic areas, galleries.

"So it's make me wonder what side of the fence you are when it's come to them." What's that supposed to mean? If you mean do i have friends that only have different colour track suits as clothing. Then yes, yes I do, where else would I get my electronic goods from now that Comet has closed down (Just kidding, I use Curry's).

The long an short of it is that any post about "coming to the UK" draws the "its rubbish here" crowd out of the wood work. And in all countries I've travelled 3rd world and first I've never encountered as many whingers as I have at home. And the biggest problem is that its bloody contagious because I'm whinging about whingers lol.

• Like 1

I think the problem with many, its not so much that they want to whinge about this country, is the fact that we have said for so long how wonderful this country is and where did it get us? Every Tombi Dickra and Hamza wants to come over and now its back fired.

We still have many beautiful parts of this country, and I am sure those living there will want to keep it that way, so after they see what has happened to parts of London, they will not be holding their hands up too high.

Tourism is one thing, but i can tell you now areas like, Northampton, is not a tourist area as such, and yet the majority of "tourists" have decided to stay there.....kids in tow.

http://travel.uk.msn.com/short-breaks/spring-walks-england-scotland#image=4

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

@ Medium Brown.

"We've seen every nook and cranny of the UK.

I could go on and on.

At original poster. We have our fair share of problems with politicians and chavs. But one I feel that we have an abundance of is whiners and moaners b****ing about everything.

Hadrian's Wall wouldn't be Hadrian's Wall if it wasn't raining. I love it, even in torrential rain. One of my personal ambitions is to walk the Wall from coast to coast :D (All 70 odd miles)

• Like 1

I'm going back to brass tacks just to show I've havn't got a rural phobia.

The UK is indeed a very beautiful country full of hidden wonders.

All that scenic,unspoilt countryside that needs to be preserved for all time.

It's so blissful that you can hear the birds twittering and see starlit skies.

To thatched cottages,bramble hedges and the traditional English garden.

Don't forget to have a pleasant stroll through the meadows and have butterflies landing in your arms.

While later as you roast chestnuts on an open fire you can release the tension out of your joints.

A time to forget the rat race and commune with nature...

However Midsummer County has all of this in abundance.

But don't panic because it's a load of fiction.

Because bad things don't happen in the English countryside.

To all Americans...Please visit...But stay on the roads.Don't go on the moors! :no:

anamericanwerewolfinlonz.jpg

• Like 4