Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Island Lady

theSOURCE

Island Lady

A warm night tropical breeze caused the palm trees to sway and dance above the idyllic island surroundings. Two lovers, romantically enchanted with each other, engaged in flirtatious banter beneath the gaze of a full moon.

"I want you to know," said the enamored young man, "that I not only find you alluring beyond words, but I also admire your strength and wisdom."

"My strength and wisdom?" asked the beautiful island lady, feigning insult. "Do you realize that what you said makes me sound old and crotchety?"

"Not at all!" replied the young man hastily. "Strength comes in many forms, not the least of which is the strength to express what you truly feel within your heart."

"Go on," she said, enjoying that fact that she was making him squirm slightly.

"As for wisdom," he continued bravely, "age holds no claim to it. One can be a babe in his or her mother's arms, yet posses a wisdom that the greatest of philosophers can only dream of. And you, my beautiful lady, were born with such wisdom."

"Not bad," she said, surprised that he had made her blush. "So tell me, what brought you to this island?"

The young man's eyes twinkled as his lips spread into a smile. "You did."

"Come on," she said flatly. "You were doing so well..."

"I'm serious," he replied. "I've searched my whole life for someone who could make my life complete. From the furthest reaches of this world I have travelled in my quest. And then I found you. Believe me when I say that I have never known anyone so beautiful as you. When my eyes first beheld you my heart beat so rapidly that I thought it would burst from my chest just to race me to greet you first."

"That's cute," said the beautiful island lady with a chuckle. "You have a poetic way of expressing yourself."

"It's only because you bring out the poet in me," he said, lowering his voice in an attempt to sound seductive. "I would do anything just to please you."

A sudden wicked smile appeared on her face. "You would do anything?"

"Anything you ask of me," he said with a wicked smile of his own.

"Would you swim the shark infested waters for me?"

"In a heart beat."

"Would you walk across a thousand miles of ice?"

"I would do so without question."

"Would you climb the jagged peaks of a volcano and dive into the caldera filled with boiling molten rock?"

The young man paused and thought for a moment. "Would I what?"

"You heard me," she said. "Would you dive into the mouth of an active volcano for me?"

Again the young man paused and thought for a minute before answering. "Yes. I would jump into the mouth of an active volcano, if that's what it would take to please you."

"You didn't sound so sure," she said, eyeing him carefully. "Maybe you're just playing with my emotions...?"

"That's not true," he said. "I meant every word I've said. If you were to ask me to jump into a volcano filled with molten rock, then I would do so. You mean that much to me, and I would never want to disappoint you."

The beautiful island lady beamed a glowing smile. "Okay, then prove it to me."

"What?"

"Prove to me that you're not just saying what you think I want to hear."

"And how would I do that?" asked the confused young man.

"Just think about it for a while," she replied. "And while you're working on it, I'll be back with some refreshing rain water. I know you'll like it, it's delicious."

As the young man sat alone, he struggled to interpret what the beautiful island lady had said to him. He knew in his heart that he wasn't just some lothario out for an exotic conquest. And he had been completely serious when he told her that he would do whatever she requested of him.

Gazing at the fiery display atop the rumbling volcano he muttered to himself, "If jumping into your flames is what is required to prove myself, then so be it." Rising off the sandy beach the young man set off to climb the fiery mountain.

When the beautiful island lady returned she was surprised and saddened to find the remains of the young man burnt to a crisp.

"Men," she said, rolling her eyes. "They take things so literally."

The beautiful volcanic mountain ceased her magnificent display of flames and molten rock, and returned to her slumber to dream of the next lover to come along, hoping that he would have at least a modicum of common sense.

Copyright © Victor Ward 2013

Edited by theSOURCE
  • Like 4

LOL!!! That's great!!! You've got some real talent, I've enjoyed your work, you must be published!

Good one :D

• 2 weeks later...

LOL!!! That's great!!! You've got some real talent, I've enjoyed your work, you must be published!

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm working on getting something published soon.

Good one :D

Thanks SW. Hope this was up to my usual standards. ;)