Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Vikings (TV series)

Bavarian Raven

Did anyone else watch the first episode of the history channel's new TV series, "the vikings"? And if so, what did you guys think of it. :)

• Like 1

Did anyone else watch the first episode of the history channel's new TV series, "the vikings"? And if so, what did you guys think of it. :)

Hell i forgot about it,Is it good?I will have to catch it next time it is on.

• Like 1

Hell i forgot about it,Is it good?I will have to catch it next time it is on.

It was worth watching imho, starts a bit slow but seems to be building towards a good series to come.

• Like 1

Pretty good show... high marks for accuracy in period costumes, weapons/tactics and 'background'... a bit like a soap opera towards the end of the episode... so far so good...

Thank god (or Odin) they are not wearing horns on their helmets...

I watched and quite enjoyed it. Glad there are others who feel the same.

Did anyone else catch that a single hour episode about pagans followed on the heels of two hours of Christianity? :w00t:

It was a good pilot. Here's hoping it will be as good as the Hatfields and McCoys series that I just finished watching.

It looks like a good historical series that won't rely on caricatures and stereotypes. It's nice to see Viking helmets without wings. I think that stems from Victorian affectations, like so many other things. Next week's forays into the British Isles should be fascinating. The Vikings had a huge impact on many aspects of the British Isles, especially in the start of vital port cities. Fortunately, Alfred the Great and Brian Boru kept them from changing the whole society of their countries. Thanks to those great warriors, they went from conquerors to assimilated citizens, some of whom were gallowglass. All in all, these shows look to be more realistic than the regular, usual fare.

• Like 2

I watched and quite enjoyed it. Glad there are others who feel the same.

Did anyone else catch that a single hour episode about pagans followed on the heels of two hours of Christianity? :w00t:

Let's not forget Judaism. It has something to say about Moses. ;)

Oh man, I missed the Vikings and The Bible..some entertaining and educational television worth watching. The Vikings proved not only as perceived destroyers of civilization, they contributed to remolding civilization of Northern Europe and elsewhere the Vikings traveled to in their quest for newly obtained wealth of their conquests. Of a region of France, Normandy are named after one group of Vikings, the Normans or "Norsemen" where some of the cultural legacy of Norman forebears can still be felt.

• Like 1

The show was so cool, I love history, especially since my Grandson the drummer is so into the vinking music, was hoping they picked his song,In The Name Of Winter`s Wrath.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

The shows pretty neat.

Thanks for asking the question; reminded me that existed and I wanted to watch it. The commercials for it sucked me in before it started. :P

Oh man, I missed the Vikings and The Bible..some entertaining and educational television worth watching. The Vikings proved not only as perceived destroyers of civilization, they contributed to remolding civilization of Northern Europe and elsewhere the Vikings traveled to in their quest for newly obtained wealth of their conquests. Of a region of France, Normandy are named after one group of Vikings, the Normans or "Norsemen" where some of the cultural legacy of Norman forebears can still be felt.

The Normans changed the cultures of all four countries in the British Isles after William arrived. Some of them were oppressive war criminals, as the Harrying of the North showed. Some of them became Irish and Scottish heroes full of love for their new countries. It was ironic that their descendants were such enemies.

Watching the pilot as we speak.

• Like 1

Watching the pilot as we speak.

dont you mean as we type? :whistle:

• Like 1

Well the second episode "wrath of the northmen" was good. Looks like they have a good series shaping it. :)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Rus'_people

This wiki article is not fully reliable, though generally what is written is now seen as historical fact (but not by all) since the end of the period of Soviet denial about Viking involvement in the creation of Kievan Rus. The creation of post Mongol Russia is another matter.....

Probably I will eventually get to see this series, and I hope it covers the Vikings in "Russia" as that was perhaps their greatest enterprise, yet ignored in the West as a footnote about trade with Constantinople. Also I have yet to see any film or series about the greatest Viking of all, King Harald Sigurdson, who was in the West, Sicily and Russia. He was probably the greatest warrior who ever lived, until Stamford Bridge.....

Edit to add that this subject of Vikings and Rus is very toxic, and in some places, youtube for instance, the arguments are as foul mouthed and bad as that which has made Ancient Egypt a warzone on youtube. I keep clear and will not engage on this forum.....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

Not having seen it I don't know how acurate it is with clothes etc. Anyway, I post this somewhat old, but still good music video, to show my contention that re-enactors do it better than Hollywood

• Like 1

This television programme deals with the Vikings' strike westward to Britain, Atentutankh.

Raven... where do you think that the Vikings finally landed in last night's episode? I'm guessing they meant it to be Lindisfarne.

Raven... where do you think that the Vikings finally landed in last night's episode? I'm guessing they meant it to be Lindisfarne.

I agree, its suppose to be Lindisfarne. I think they did a good job with the scene. Will be interesting to see what happens when the vikings return home to the agree Jarl. :w00t:

I agree, its suppose to be Lindisfarne. I think they did a good job with the scene. Will be interesting to see what happens when the vikings return home to the agree Jarl. :w00t:

That's right. Did you catch the conversation with Canute? It might be cool to see how his character and plot develop. I'd like to see a battle with Saxons too.

I do wish they would emphasize that "Viking" was an action, not a people... They were Norse, or Danes, etc... Not Vikings...

However I'm sure they settled on that name to grab the attention of the viewers...

• Like 2

I do wish they would emphasize that "Viking" was an action, not a people... They were Norse, or Danes, etc... Not Vikings...

However I'm sure they settled on that name to grab the attention of the viewers...

That was a good point. The ones, that came to the British Isles, sailed from Denmark and Norway. The ones, that came to eastern Europe, sailed from Sweden. That was a generalization, but it probably held true for the most part.

• Like 2