Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

warp technology a step closer?

shrooma

The question of time dilation was the part I was most interested in hearing about, ie whether or not it would be a short time to the people on the ship and years to people back on earth, but the article says

Most notably, this method of travel does not involve time dilation. Ordinarily, time slows down as you come closer to the speed of light. So a person traveling really fast might only age 5 months, while the rest of the universe ages 5 million years. But this doesn’t happen with the Alcubierre drive. Since time is also warped, it passes the same for both the traveler and those left behind on Earth.

That would be pretty cool! I hope the find a way to overcome the energy problems so this could actually be relatively cheap too.

• Like 1

I heard about the scientists trying to create a warp bubble in a lab. In their exact words 'bending space time around a certain object'. It sounds cool in Star Trek, but all we know about Space Time is theory T_T. All this bending it is either gonna sky rocket our space flight program, or make our planet go bye bye into some black hole or some trance dimensional bubble. If we end up in the same place the Event Horizon did, I'm jumping ship.

Woo hoo, beam me up Dr Shooma.smileyface_wink.gif

Mind you am reading about the dangers of antimatter....

Another problem is that antimatter is horribly dangerous (terribly, horribly dangerous). Interact with a small amount of this energy in the wrong way, you’ll get a blast larger than the energy released during the bombing of Hiroshima. Unfortunately, the 500 kilograms needed for the new ship’s design still requires energy equivalent to 1.5 million Hiroshimas (which is more than enough to destroy civilization and wipe most life off the face of the Earth).

Now if we can survive these technical "hick ups", this could be great.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

if you look at the development of the tv sword, we went from john logie-baird's room-sized monster to wafer thin 3D hi-def in a hundred years, so I think we can be pretty optimistic about this!

i'm sure science will be able to 'make it so.'

:-)

• Like 1

If we end up in the same place the Event Horizon did, I'm jumping ship.

not a fan of the whole 'popped eyeballs' look then krypter?

not a fan of the whole 'popped eyeballs' look then krypter?

Nah I rather like my eyeballs, face and sanity intact. I have grown quite fond of all three.

• Like 1

Woo hoo, beam me up Dr Shooma.smileyface_wink.gif

Mind you am reading about the dangers of antimatter....

Now if we can survive these technical "hick ups", this could be great.

blowing up the world DOES seem to be the mother of all glitches, doesn't it!

but if we get to the point where can actually manufacture 500kg of anti-matter, i'm sure we'll have the necessary tech to be able to contain it!

probably.

• Like 1

Nah I rather like my eyeballs, face and sanity intact. I have grown quite fond of all three.

i'll have to settle for two out of the three, which ain't bad, if meatloaf is to be believed....

blowing up the world DOES seem to be the mother of all glitches, doesn't it!

but if we get to the point where can actually manufacture 500kg of anti-matter, i'm sure we'll have the necessary tech to be able to contain it!

probably.

Lets hope so, lets REALLY hope so. I think I will stay clear while they try out their tests and then surface again when it done...safer that way. But wow, I would so love to be a Lt. Nyota Uhura, failing that, I would be quite happy making the tea.

I would so love to be a Lt. Nyota Uhura, failing that, I would be quite happy making the tea.

I wouldn't mind being starfleet's equivalent of dave lister, and cleaned out the gunk from the chicken soup machines if it got me into space!

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind being starfleet's equivalent of dave lister, and cleaned out the gunk from the chicken soup machines if it got me into space!

I can just see it now, you as Dave Lister and me making the teas in the back, it really would be Red Dwarf for real. :w00t:

• Like 1

I can just see it now, you as Dave Lister and me making the teas in the back, it really would be Red Dwarf for real. :w00t:

he he he he....

we'd certainly be spoilt for choice of rimmers here on UM....

:-D

• Like 3