Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grocery loyalty card purchases surveilled by

OverSword

is there such a thing as crap sex??

i've always had a whale of a time, and haven't cried during sex for, ooh...., days now....!

:-)

NOT ALL OF US HAVE A PERFECT 100% PERFORMANCE MR PERFECT. NO IM NOT JEALOUS OR ANYTHING

• Like 1

That's true, but if you even once pay with debit then they know who you are from that point on. Good luck paying cash every time you go to the store.

no they wont.

one thing store records you gave them yourself, other thing is financial info that does not belong to the store.

Edited by aztek

no they wont.

Yes they will, your store card has a number, if you pay with debit it accesses your bank account, giving the store the name of ther person using the debit card. Once that happens they know who owns that store card. Edited by OverSword

Its another one of our frequently violated Constitutional Rights

Well yea if the Feds are using that info. Otherwise, like someone else said, it's probably in the fine print when you sign up to sell the info if they are selling it.

Some call them loyalty cards just to say that when you receive coupons and special offers via mail it's because of your loyalty. I've always seen these cards as a marketing thing. I know they are. My first job, in '96, was a grocery store and I think they may have been the ones who invented these cards because it was several years before I ever seen any other store use these cards but eventually they were everywhere. The chain is called Giant Eagle and they call it an Advantage Card. Use them and get discounts. Not on everything, just items marked as such. The only tracking I ever noticed or heard of was whenever a customer checked out random coupons would print along side of the receipts for items they may have purchased in the past. Of course it was at the end of the order so they'd have to come back to shop again so they could use the coupons. Also in the fall they would track your purchases so that if you spent so many hundreds before Thanksgiving you'd get a coupon for a free turkey or $20 off a purchase!

These guys are marketing geniuses. Several years ago the same grocery chain got into the gas station/convenient store business. Now, for every $50 you spend at their stores you get 10 cents of per gallon of gas at their gas stations. Doesn't sound like much but it does add up. Anyhow, both their grocery stores and their gas stations are always packed. They've created very loyal customers that way and many of them at that. One last thing about using your real name on the cards. You probably don't need to but you need to use the Advantage Card to pay by check and so both names had to match. Far as I know the reason was to keep track of those who write bad checks and it worked. Also, they offer check cashing services at their service desk which required an advantage card matching the name on the check. They've also used the card to bust and fire employees who use their advantage card while making purchases with let's say an already used coupon for a free turkey or $20 off a purchase. Trust me.

Now I shop at a different store that's closer and less busy which also has its own card. The difference however is at this store I get the card discounts even without a card. I don't know about their check cashing, don't need to, but the only reason for their card is to get gas discounts at affiliated gas stations. I can't take the cards anymore though. Everywhere I go they want to give you a card and I mean everywhere. It's ridiculous.

I can't believe how long of a post I just made about this but that's the extent of my knowledge about these cards and figured I'd share.

Edit: btw it wasn't me who got in trouble for coupon theft. I meant 'trust me' as in I seen it happen.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Yes they will, your store card has a number, if you pay with debit it accesses your bank account, giving the store the name of ther person using the debit card. Once that happens they know who owns that store card.

no they wont, anyone could be paying for my stuff, doesn't mean it is my card, that paid for it. i know how stroes can use and can't use financial info, and they can't use it the way you described.

NOT ALL OF US HAVE A PERFECT 100% PERFORMANCE MR PERFECT.

100%??

a couple too many zeros there mikko!

no they wont, anyone could be paying for my stuff, doesn't mean it is my card, that paid for it. i know how stroes can use and can't use financial info, and they can't use it the way you described.

I think he's just saying that they could. It's within the realm of possibility. That's all.

I use telephone numbers if I want to use a card and pay in cash. Oh the fun I could have making someone get targeted by the Govmnt for being a pig eater just by knowing there phone number and where they shop.

• Like 1

I think he's just saying that they could. It's within the realm of possibility. That's all.

that is the problem, just saying sound a lot like b.s.

and no they can't. becose financial institution have strict rules how merchants use data that belongs to financial institutions. and if stores do not follow the rules, they will lose abuility to take cards, and that is a big hit for them.they can screw you, with no payback, but they will not even think of p***ing off banks.

Edited by aztek

Everywhere I go they want to give you a card, it's ridiculous

it's the same over here.

a friend's wife has twenty of the damn things, and every time he has to go to a shop for some beer, or a pack of smokes, he has to hang around for five minutes while his missus fannies around looking for the right card to send him with!!

'ridiculous' is indeed the word!

it's the same over here.

a friend's wife has twenty of the damn things, and every time he has to go to a shop for some beer, or a pack of smokes, he has to hang around for five minutes while his missus fannies around looking for the right card to send him with!!

'ridiculous' is indeed the word!

Lol, I know what you mean. I can't even get a cup of coffee in the morning without the gas stations asking me for a card. I just decline them unless I can also use a phone number instead of a card. Just today I stopped in the video game store to grab a playstation network gift card. Getting new Call of Duty maps tonight! He asked me for a loyalty card. I said I don't know if I have one. He asked for my number. Turns out I didn't have a card. Oh well I said forget it.

Some people are fanatical about it though. Many times as a cashier back in the day and now as a customer waiting in line I have seen plenty of people hold up lines or lose their minds cause they could find their damn card.

• Like 2

that is the problem, just saying sound a lot like b.s.

and no they can't. becose financial institution have strict rules how merchants use data that belongs to financial institutions. and if stores do not follow the rules, they will lose abuility to take cards, and that is a big hit for them.they can screw you, with no payback, but they will not even think of p***ing off banks.

I know man. It's highly unlikely. Just saying it's highly possible if one were so inclined to make it so.

• Like 1

The original Wall Street Journal article here is far less conspiracy and more about the marketing decisions that health insurers use to sell you things they think can be preventative measures to disease.

• Like 1

100%??

a couple too many zeros there mikko!

Oh so you have good sex with just 1% of your true potential... that's nice. Eh, well, as long as you're happy I guess. Being self-critical is bad there.

• Like 1

:innocent: Whatever dude. I wish other people bought my groceries. :passifier:

Why does this come out now 20 years after rewards cards were introduced and just prior to Obamacare and all this personal monitoring garbage becomes relevant ? Obviously this type of tracking of purchases has been going on for some time now.

• Like 4

so do i man. no one buys stuff for me, i was just using this as example.

I figured as much, I was just breakin yer yabbos bro.
  • Like 1

Maybe I'll use my former boss's name, address and phone number instead of mine if I have to sign up. :whistle:

• Like 2

The original Wall Street Journal article here is far less conspiracy and more about the marketing decisions that health insurers use to sell you things they think can be preventative measures to disease.

More likely it would be used by insurance companies to not pay out on medical issue.

Insurance company "I see the doctor told you to cut down on fatty foods?"

You "yes"

Insurance "well, on the 23rd of December you brought a frozen pizza. This was against doctors recommendations. Unfortunately we won't be paying out for you medical operation."

• Like 1

lol, how does insurance know you ate that pizza, and not your kids. or you bought it for someone else.

if they want to deny your calim, they will, they don't need you grocery list for that.

i like good CT my self, but this is BST

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Fess is right; stores push cards. I cut up my grocery loyalty card. It didn't have my name or address, but it still tracked my shopping habits. I always thought that someone might use it to surveil me. The article validates my hunch. I can't count the times that book and other stores push cards on me. My instinct tells me that they do this for hidden reasons. They likely want to build behavioral profiles of us that go beyond mere economic, inventory, planning, etc. concerns.

• Like 1

Fess is right; stores push cards. I cut up my grocery loyalty card. It didn't have my name or address, but it still tracked my shopping habits. I always thought that someone might use it to surveil me. The article validates my hunch. I can't count the times that book and other stores push cards on me. My instinct tells me that they do this for hidden reasons. They likely want to build behavioral profiles of us that go beyond mere economic, inventory, planning, etc. concerns.

Darn it! I just got a Starbucks card... :(

I wonder if banks do the same with debit cards...

• Like 2

I hate health insurance. Hate it, just the idea on gambling on a person's life for cash seems wrong. Maybe the owners of health insurance companies should go hang out at gambler's anon because they spend all of their time doing it. It is an addiction they too can get help. I guess doing anything to win at playing the ponies is ok though the ponies are people.

Brb going to the store with my ex's card and paying cash on booze, ice cream, and various forms of lub.... oil, yeah oil.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1