Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smoke Free for One Year today!

MissMelsWell

I'm totally tooting my own horn! I've been smoke free for one year as of today!

This is a huge accomplishment for me; I was a pack and a half or more smoker for 30 years exactly.

I quit with the aid of e-cigs--which contain no carcinogens or any of the other harmful things in combustable cigarettes. In-so-far, no one has found any harmful side effects and only benefits from e-cig usage as an alternative. Technically, I still have a "habit" but it's a harmless one. :-) I'm all about harm reduction.

Oddly, when I was smoking, I never really suffered any side effects from smoking that I noticed, I didn't even have that smokers cough. BUT, after I had been off them for 3 months or so, I did realize that I was suffering from dimished lung capacity, which has all since been returned to me. (I was tested for my lung capacity recently and it's perfect now!)

One strange thing that did happen, although I don't know that it's all related, is that I have been getting colds much easier since I quit. haha. And, I developed rapidly growing fibroid tumors which I had to have surgery for 3 weeks ago. My surgeon did say that I wasn't the first person to have quit, then developed a health complication like this after quitting. His musing were more antedotal than anything though. While going thorugh my medical complications, I had to have a full medical work up... I'm happy to say I have EXCELLENT blood pressure, perfect actually, normal cholesterol, and my heart rate is well within the healthy limits. I feel like I'm doing pretty damn good for an old broad!! hahaha.

I don't think e-cigs work for everyone, but they sure saved me from myself I think! I haven't even had a craving for a real cig in almost 9 months! In fact, I really think I could even drop the e-cigs, and might do that later--I was in the hospital for 4 days and didn't use them once and didn't necessarily miss them either. But I did pick them back up when I got home. It's become more of a psychological habit than anything. One I'm just not that worried about.

Pretty dang happy with myself!

• Like 3

That's brilliant, congratulations!

Good job!

If only I was smoke free for one year.

It would not only benefit my health but my dogs as well.

Especially when my sister accuses me of not inhaling.

The fan's on constantly has I stand near the kitchen sink.

Despite all this she thinks my cough is a smokers one but I say it's only a cold.

But there's no kidding a kidder.

Tbh I'm not encouraged about getting a tumour like it's some of delayed effect.

Or getting a cold just when I'm about to resume my working life.

However you seem to have got over the worst of it now.

Those first few months are critical when you go cold turkey.

So congratulations.

Btw I might try E- cigarettes to beat my addiction because it beats pretending to smoke a pen.

It just goes to show that anything can happen if you put your mind to it.

Congrats, Missy! s9185.gif

Congratulations MMW! Just be careful. I've known people who have quit, then relapse years later when going through a stressful period. You have to know what triggers your cigarette cravings.

QUITTER!!! :angry:

JK congrats!E-cigs have done wonders for several people i know.Yes it may sound strange but getting sick easier is very common among long time smokers who quit,at least for the first year or so while the body heals itself .

Hope everything works out for you 1 year is impressive! :yes:

Nice! You are to be seriously commended!!! Keep up the good work. :yes:

Congratulations MMW! Just be careful. I've known people who have quit, then relapse years later when going through a stressful period. You have to know what triggers your cigarette cravings.

EVERYTHING is my trigger. Food, coffee, car, boredom, sitting, socializing... which I think is one reason the e-cigs have worked so beautifully for me. :)

Well done!

Did you gain weight? (Not trying to be funny, just curious)

It's hard to say really... I don't really know because about the time I quit, unknown to me I also developed a medical condition that put 25+ lbs on me. Now that I've had the surgery for the problem, I can say that the pounds are rapidly coming off (the surgery alone took an immediate 12lbs off)... As of a couple of days ago, I can actually see my waistline again! LOL.

• Like 1

Congrats Miss!!! I also quit it's been a little over 3 years now...I did have many unsuccessful tries but at the end You will succeed!

• Like 1