Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paranoid Android

Episodes of tears and joy

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently started watching some old tv-shows on DVD, using a random number generator to first decide what show I'd watch (eg, 1=Stargate SG:1, 2=Star Trek TNG, 3=Firefly, 4=....). I'd already assigned numbers to the shows I have on DVD (yes, you may have noticed I'm a Sci-fi fan). I'd then randomly choose the season I'd watch, and then the episode number within that season.

So a few episodes in I was randomly given Babylon 5, Season 5 Episode 22. This is the series finale, and in my mind one of the greatest episodes of any sci-fi show ever made. It's also extremely sad. The entire episode revolves around the death of two main characters (for spoiler purposes, even though it's 20 years old I won't mention names). For my mind, it is the saddest individual episode of any tv-show.

Afterwards, to combat the sadness I chose to watch the funniest episode of any tv-show I've ever watched in my entire life. So 30 minutes later, and I've just finished the final episode of Season 1 of Fawlty Towers, titled "The Germans".

So basically, the purpose of this thread is about the saddest and funniest tv-show episodes you have ever seen. Single episodes, not story arcs or seasons or entire shows, just the individual episodes. I've put my head on the chopping block and shared my story, so hopefully others do the same.

Saddest - "Sleeping in Light", the Series finale to Babylon 5, Season 5 :cry:

Funniest - "The Germans", Season 1, episode 6, Fawlty Towers :w00t:

Other thoughts appreciated :yes::P

Edited by Paranoid Android
1 person likes this

For me one of the saddest episodes is from M.A.S.H. - the one in which Col. Henry Blake dies at the end, due to his plane being shot down over the sea of Japan as he was heading home. The looks on the faces of the doctors and nurses as the try to operate after hearing the news, always brings home the meaning of war.

As for funniest, way too many to mention, but one episode from Three's Company always makes me laugh. The episode where Jack is kind of forced to go camping when all he wants to do is get some sleep. Watching him attempt to get into a hammock is so funny.

Ive been trying to give this some thought over the past couple of days. I could probably add a few more to the two I am about to mention but here's a starter for now.

Saddest: 8 Simple Rules (for Dating My Teenage Daughter), the episode "Goodbye". John Ritter who played the father actually passed away in real life and they incorporated Ritter's death into the show. It was so well done and handled really well and boy was it sad.

Funniest: Only fool and horses, (Del Boy falling through the bar scene) Not necessarily the funniest as a whole in terms of an episode but what makes this even better is when I watched a program about the show. The guy that plays Trigger wasn't in that episode and was filming something else at the studios and stopped by to watch Only Fools being filmed, they wrote him into it at the last minute. If that was right or not, I don't know but either way it was hilarious.