Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossilised giant camel bone found in Arctic

Still Waters

Fossil hunters have unearthed fragments of leg bone belonging to a giant camel that lived in the forests of the High Arctic more than three million years ago.

The ancient beast stood almost three metres tall at the hump, about a third higher than its modern descendant, the single-humped dromedary, or Arabian camel.

Scientists who found the remains said the extinct mammal may have already had the wide, flat feet and fatty hump associated with adaptation to life in the desert, because they could have helped the animal endure its harsh, snow-covered habitat.

http://www.guardian....amel-bone-found

• Like 3

Is was all desert at 1 time

Apparently not:

"The sediments around the fossils date to at least 3.4m years old, when the region was much warmer than today and dominated by larch forests. Temperatures hovered a few degrees below zero, and winters plunged the region into six months of darkness."

Hoping the find more remains of this giant camel in the future and information on camel evolution.

Article said it still would have been Dark for much of the year. Perhaps the camels had a hump to make it through the Dark times?

I had to read the topic title twice. I first read it as: Fossilised giant *camel t0e* found in Arctic :w00t:

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 3

I had to read the topic title twice. I first read it as: Fossilised giant *camel t0e* found in Arctic :w00t:

:lol:

Taun tauns!

Nope... Not mine... it would have had antlers...

Edited by Taun

• 4 weeks later...