Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Immortality ever going to be possible?

ali smack

do you think scientists will ever be able to create immortality?

no, as long as we have our fleshy meatsacks we will always have a short lifespan, you cant stop a human body from aging and degenerating.

now will we be ever able to transfer our mind or consciousness to a robot body or something like that is a question im more interested in. i could go for a sleek robot body.

Not true immortality but I do believe that at some point, possibly in the near future, it will be possible to extend human life past a healthy 1,000 years
  • Like 2

Not true immortality but I do believe that at some point, possibly in the near future, it will be possible to extend human life past a healthy 1,000 years

im interested please enlighten me as to how this already broken down 24 year old body could possibly go another 960 n change years lol :P

im interested please enlighten me as to how this already broken down 24 year old body could possibly go another 960 n change years lol :P

A few ways but my favorite is filling the human body with nano machines that repaire cell damage at a molecular level as it happens which would leave people at around an apparent age of 28 years.http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=8726328

edit to add I didn't bother to read the shortcut I posted but I'm pretty sure that was one I read a few years ago.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

If they can ever clone you a new body that might be possible. However with immortality will come other problems like overpopulation.

A few ways but my favorite is filling the human body with nano machines that repaire cell damage at a molecular level as it happens which would leave people at around an apparent age of 28 years.http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=8726328

edit to add I didn't bother to read the shortcut I posted but I'm pretty sure that was one I read a few years ago.

thanks for the link was a good read i could see that happening but it certainly seems like something that you would need to be wealthy to have also this is pretty scary

"You could have some self-replicating nanobot that could create copies of itself... and ultimately, within 90 replications, it could devour the body it's in or all humans if it becomes a non-biological plague," said Kurzweil. "Technology is not a utopia. It's a double-edged sword and always has been since we first had fire."

soooo immortality at the chance you could be devoured from the inside out by the very machines that were there to help you... ill take the plunge lol

i have to wonder why anyone would want to live a thousand years in our present society there are days i don't even want to get outta bed another 940 or so years would be serious punishment

i can just imagine the nanobots go on strike or break down and the result of the break down is that migraine, instead of just lasting a week or 3, now lasts 25 or 30 years or your stuck in a wheelchair for 200 or 300 years. No thank you !

thanks for the link was a good read i could see that happening but it certainly seems like something that you would need to be wealthy to have also this is pretty scary

In my opinion the cost is the scariest aspect to immortality. Once they achieve the technology you will have an elite class of immortal rulers of humanity who will rarely if ever allow the lower servant class to also become immortal.

• Like 1

In my opinion the cost is the scariest aspect to immortality. Once they achieve the technology you will have an elite class of immortal rulers of humanity who will rarely if ever allow the lower servant class to also become immortal.

yeah didn't really think of that too much when i posted, that is very scary and a world i for one wouldn't have any desire to live in.

• Like 1

yeah didn't really think of that too much when i posted, that is very scary and a world i for one wouldn't have any desire to live in.

If you think about it that is similar to the way the ancient egyptians lived. The peasant class had an average life of 25 to 30 years, while the pharos lived 60 to 80 years due to better food easier physical lifestyle etc... essentially one pharo would rule over five or six generations of peasants. The immortals of the future will be like the pharos x100, and no doubt very corrupt.

If you think about it that is similar to the way the ancient egyptians lived. The peasant class had an average life of 25 to 30 years, while the pharos lived 60 to 80 years due to better food easier physical lifestyle etc... essentially one pharo would rule over five or six generations of peasants. The immortals of the future will be like the pharos x100, and no doubt very corrupt.

immortal corrupt and wealthy... well we could only hope that the technology would be available to everyone however thats naive and likely not going to happen.

Edited by Iron_Lotus

If you can find it the show Curiosity with Adam Savage did a really good job covering this and basicly yes near imortality will be possible. Great show.

I believe we could have functional immortality if we learn to download and upload brain memory/structure/electric patterns. A new meat body could be grown and the old brain downloaded into it.

I think downloading into a machine would not be immortality, because you are no longer alive, but are actually a self aware electronic device at that point.

I also think there is a chance of Dr Who like regeneration. There is a jellyfish called the Imortal Jellyfish that when it gets old, reverts to a infant form and its cells are all reset age-wise. I think humans could eventually do this. So every 50 years or so, we'd go to a spa and basically be born again into a young body. Maybe as an infant. Maybe as an adult. The technology will be easy to use after the genetics of the regeneration is figured out.

Many people I've talked to say they would not like to live forever, but I would. There is enough to see in the world that forever still would not be long enough.

• Like 1

If you can find it the show Curiosity with Adam Savage did a really good job covering this and basicly yes near imortality will be possible. Great show.

The Myth Busters guy? I'll check it out. Hope it is on Netflix of otherwise online.

Edited by DieChecker

Scientists already know that sex hormones (estrogen and testosterone) lengthen telomeres.

For men they can safely upregulate their testosterone production by taking D-aspartic acid with an aromatase inhibitor.

1. D-aspartic acid - This is one of humans essential amino acids. To get a high enough dose you'd be looking at a gym supplement unless you fancy drinking 2 litres of milk a day.

2. Aromatase inhibitors - Lots of Blueberries, strawberries, grapes, cherries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrents, cranberries, etc.

The side effects are it makes you aggressive, gives you a high sex drive and makes your genitalia grow. For women you need a source of estradiol or to take D-aspartic acid with aromatase (I dont think you can legally buy it).

D-aspartic acid is turned into testosterone by the human body and aromatase converts it into estrogen.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I dearly hope not.

If we ever manage it, it will be worst type imaginable, as us humans would probably just screw it up. We'd be able to live for hundreds of years, staying at age 75 or so, not in our 20s, knowing our luck!

If we live forever, nothing will ever change, will it? The same people will continue to be in charge, it will never get passed down onto future generations to put right our wrongs.

i've already put my plan to live forever into action.

so far, it seems to be working....

• Like 2

I think with how far humanity and science has already come it would be silly to say something is impossible.