Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intelligent people and unhappiness

ascendant606

Nice ideas, as for proof there is no hard evidence suggesting that intellegent people are more happy or more unhappy. This topic wasn't nessicarily to back any one side of the argument, but I am leaning twords intellegent people being less happy. Here's a quote: "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.", Ernest Hemingway

To the second part of your statement about actions and consequences, I am not disputing that point nor have I ever. You are absolustely correct

To the first part of your statement about nurturing the good, there is more bad than there is good. We preveive less things as good than we do bad. When you see all the perceptions on things, you see more bad than you see good, hence making you unhappier because you see that there is more bad than good. Although yes, you would want to nurture the good perceptions, there are so many bad ones they are impossible to ignore, and can be overwhelming. Everyone has to understand the balance of things, and if you don't you are likely to be unhappy, you cant just foucus on the good otherwise it would lead you to make foolish desicions. The two ideas you presented don't work together very well, I see what you were aiming for but unfortunatly if you only see the good and act to make the good happen, you will inadvertenly cause something bad to happen do to the fact you only focus and nurture the good.

IMHO, it's more difficult to see the positive in our society, because we're constantly being hammered by the negative. I was asking myself the other, while listening to a news story, when did it become to popular to bash our culture without ever offering a ray of hope? It happens, I think, because criticism, finding fault is an easy option. Just point out the bad, and sit back and wait for people to agree with you. However, there are a lot of positive things happening in our communities, and a lot of positive people, but in order to see that we have to look further than the evening news. It's not as obvious, partly because acts of good are usually done without fanfare. they are done quietly, by quiet people, everyday, every moment, across the planet. But those stories would never show up on a newsfeed. Any way, I think part of being happy is to be able to have balance in one's life, and for me paying attention to goodness as well as the negative helps me achieve this.

• Like 1

happiness is a journey not a destination.

happiness is a by product of living well and true to oneself

happiness is not a constant state, but rather a reaction to things in one's life

those who search for happiness will never find it. it always comes to you on its own.

• Like 1

A very intelligent person who is unhappy needs to turn their intelligence to the problem of their own unhappiness. They would find in many cases that it was because they were accepting something as normal or as morally just that went against their own moral philosophy. An idiot who is unhappy may be unable to figure out why. A very intelligent person who is unhappy needs to take a good look at their own life, and rule out all things that they are in control of for their unhappiness. An intelligent person who accepts his/her unhappiness as a result of their intelligence is not taking into account the bigger picture, and as such perhaps they are not as intelligent as they think the are.

-Einsteinium

• Like 2

A very intelligent person who is unhappy needs to turn their intelligence to the problem of their own unhappiness. They would find in many cases that it was because they were accepting something as normal or as morally just that went against their own moral philosophy. An idiot who is unhappy may be unable to figure out why. A very intelligent person who is unhappy needs to take a good look at their own life, and rule out all things that they are in control of for their unhappiness. An intelligent person who accepts his/her unhappiness as a result of their intelligence is not taking into account the bigger picture, and as such perhaps they are not as intelligent as they think the are.

-Einsteinium

Although yes, you prove a valid point, you forget that people do not only rationalize and think logicly. We are also ruled by emotion, which in most people can be an illogical, stubborn force that overides the logical part of us. Also, I did not say that an intelligent person that is unhappy would blame their unhappiness on their intellegence. For them to do so would be, as you said, stupid in their mind. Since intelligence is something so deeply rooted in our personality and in the way we do anything, often times people do not consider it as a possible problem. It is part of us, like an arm of a leg. We can use it, grow and develop it but it is an integeral part of ouselves. We are not likely to blame our arm on our unhappiness, so we can infer that someone suffering from unhappiness would not blame it on their unhappiness.

Edited by ascendant606

BTW. I don't know about anyone else but the title was kind of bugging me (I fixed the spelling).

It would be wonderful if someone would fix the spelling of the Buddhism/Philosophy thread.

FYI: If you ever have a typo/spelling error on any title header just PM me (or another mod) and we'll be glad to fix it.

I read something that said people with higher I.Q.s are more likely to experiment with different drugs

• Like 1

Wisdom rules over intelligence!

Although yes, you prove a valid point, you forget that people do not only rationalize and think logicly. We are also ruled by emotion, which in most people can be an illogical, stubborn force that overides the logical part of us. Also, I did not say that an intelligent person that is unhappy would blame their unhappiness on their intellegence. For them to do so would be, as you said, stupid in their mind. Since intelligence is something so deeply rooted in our personality and in the way we do anything, often times people do not consider it as a possible problem. It is part of us, like an arm of a leg. We can use it, grow and develop it but it is an integeral part of ouselves. We are not likely to blame our arm on our unhappiness, so we can infer that someone suffering from unhappiness would not blame it on their unhappiness.

I may have been about as clear as mud in my post. I have not forgotten that people are also ruled by emotion which is illogical and stubborn by nature. I agree with you. You make a valid point. What I was essentially saying is that intelligent people have a better tool to analyze their own unhappiness than some other people. And as such one would think that intelligent people would actually be happier people, as they have a better chance at understanding and changing the things that make them unhappy. An intelligent person who does not use the tool of their intellect to try and solve the problem of their own unhappiness deserves the unhappiness they feel. IMHO

Edited by Einsteinium

It's true. Intelligent people see the bigger picture. While the dumb people are happy in their little world and don't see beyond their mobile phone and facebook :P

Edited by Finity
  • Like 2

I may have been about as clear as mud in my post. I have not forgotten that people are also ruled by emotion which is illogical and stubborn by nature. I agree with you. You make a valid point. What I was essentially saying is that intelligent people have a better tool to analyze their own unhappiness than some other people. And as such one would think that intelligent people would actually be happier people, as they have a better chance at understanding and changing the things that make them unhappy. An intelligent person who does not use the tool of their intellect to try and solve the problem of their own unhappiness deserves the unhappiness they feel. IMHO

Yes, agree that your statement is accurate. My only difference in opinion is that it is possible for some intelligent people to recognize the things causing their unhappiness, but fail to amend it and suffer unhappiness as the end result. If this happens, either they aren't intelligent after all or they have problems applying their intelligence to their problems. like notforgotten said, said, wisdom is important. Wisdom can be defined as the practical application of intellegence in real life, making it to where although intelligence is important, you need knowledge and wisdom as well.

It's true. Intelligent people see the bigger picture. While the dumb people are happy in their little world and don't see beyond their mobile phone and facebook :P

How true! :yes:

• Like 2

Key to happiness is to live each moment to it's fullest.

Smart and dumb people keep looking for that missing something in their life and try to fill it with other things since they may not even know what they really lack. Usually what they are missing was there all along, but by striving to attain those others things to fill the void they make their own unhappiness.

When bad stuff happens, it always will, you deal with it like a game of challenge, and think back to happy times and what is available in the moment that you can do for yourself or with others. At the end of each day look back to each of the pieces of your day that were really worthwhile and plan for what you can do the next day that will be special to you too :)

Edited by White Unicorn

Ignorance might really be bliss. I have never seen an unhappy bird or rabbit. But smarter animals like a dog, I have seen unhappy dogs before. ( at least it looks that way), and obviously plenty of unhappy humans.

Actually I have seen unhappy birds. Usually parrots or other smart birds that are isolated from other birds.

Edited by Seeker79

Don't worry about being happy. You will or won't be based on your genes and brain chemicals and sleep and health and so on. Worry about being good at what you do and good to others.

If you are seriously unhappy -- that is to say, if you are "depressed," then see a doctor and get one of the happiness pills that will change your brain chemistry. No guilt in doing this, and you are not yourself when you are depressed, so maybe now you will be.

• Like 1

So something else I thought I would bring up is Existential depression. This is caused by essentially too much thinking.

www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10269.aspx

• Like 1

What do you mean by intelligence? Emotional intelligence is needed for happness, those who do not have it, no matter how high their so callied IQ is, tend to be rather moronic in how they live out their lives.

• Like 1

Don't worry about being happy. You will or won't be based on your genes and brain chemicals and sleep and health and so on. Worry about being good at what you do and good to others.

If you are seriously unhappy -- that is to say, if you are "depressed," then see a doctor and get one of the happiness pills that will change your brain chemistry. No guilt in doing this, and you are not yourself when you are depressed, so maybe now you will be.

No need for that. Vitamin b, vitamin c supplements, a steady workout regiment and hand full of pumpkin seeds once a day is just as effective.

• Like 1

Well I endorse the workout regimen; the others are problematic, but of course trying them won't hurt. Why pumpkin seeds? My tendency is to endorse all kinds of seeds and nuts (watching the salt), not for "happiness" so much as for general good health.

What is happiness? Often times what we perceive as happiness are things that are necessary for survival. Food, jokes (which are a sign of one’s intelligence, which is important for survival), reproduction, love and companionship all make us happy. But why then is it the most intelligent people that are the least happy? Could it be that we are flawed in the sense that were are too intelligent for our own good to the point of causing inner turmoil and distress, leading to depression and suicide? Could that be the reason for few people having high cognitive functions? Could it be we intelligent people are actually so intelligent it makes us less functional and capable human beings? Think of it this way: If we are so intelligent as to question everything, and we question questioning things like I am right now, would we live a day if we were in pre-historic times? There is a saying that everyone resists change, but that is an eternal paradox within itself. If we question whether or not we need to change, and question if the changes Mother Nature is gradually doing is right, then how can we be sure what is wrong or right? We question things that are indefinite, things that we cannot be sure about and change is one of those things. We will be forever questioning whether or not we should change, because we will question change, then question questioning change, then question questioning questioning change. It never ends, it’s like trying not to be mainstream in high school. Inadvertently if you try to be not mainstream in high school and everyone else tries to not be mainstream as well, then you will inadvertently be mainstream by not being mainstream. This is the same with change and any life decision. People that are less intelligent do not have these same questioning thoughts, and easily choose to embrace or block change making them more adaptable and easier to survive; ergo making them happier.

But why do we want to survive? Are we being somehow tricked into living? Or is it that the reason intelligent, questioning people are not happy? Because we question and doubt even our most fundamental instincts and question questioning those. It gets to the point where you need something to take your mind off of thoughts like this, for me its reading. But this just gives me more thoughts, making me question even more things so I turned to music. But then that just brings up the question of why do I like music. It’s like an eternal circle of questioning and doubting. Maybe that’s why intelligent people aren’t as happy as others. Happiness is dependent upon comfort for most people, and what makes us comfortable? Food, relaxing and other things that we find comfortable often times are an extension of the very topic of survival we were discussing earlier. When you are relaxing, more times than not it is because you have done everything your mind thinks has to be done to survive. That’s why we crave relaxation, because we feel happy and ready to face whatever we need to face in life because we have completed all tasks needed for survival. When we intentionally relax without finishing our daily needs for survival, it is not near as enjoyable as your mind will keep thinking of the thing that you neglected to do. This is important, because this shows with too many thoughts in your head you often times do not feel content and comfortable, and this is part of what makes you happy. More intelligent people often times find it near impossible to stop thinking sometimes with their questioning and etcetera, leading them to feel less content; ergo making them less happy.

On a physical level however, an intellegent person may be able to make more money, giving them more possesions and wealth but is materlistic happiness really worth anything if you aren't mentally happy?

Do you agree?

Their is one question what is the purpose of intelligence?

Questioning is fine but enjoying the investigative thoughts,trying to establish the true nature of things ,trying to find answers should be a systematic process,

when we have too many thoughts is that intelligence or is it compulsions of the mind manifesting, usually breathing exercises help for organising thought patterns a bit.

Happiness is elusive ,u have to do ur own experiments i guess,with the usual things,like positive thoughts,spirituality,sex,books,friends this and that,but

all at a steady pace,

Travel can be really a good experiment,u like reading plus travel and fun ,give ur mind some rest

maybe for some time u must do the opposite say questions are nonsense ,i dont care try it for some time.

anyway u can always do the same thing later but my friend its good to relax and simply be unconcerned,not bothered at all.

• 3 months later...

I read something that said people with higher I.Q.s are more likely to experiment with different drugs

The thing is, people with high emotional intelligence are not being stimulated enough with everyday " events " , intelligent people tend to push their feelings into themselves because their circle of acquaintances rarely holds a person which can correspond with the bigger picture of their feelings . Which leads to drug experimenting , and once they feel the certain effects of a drug it tickles their curiosity for trying another one which will open a new world of perception and meaning. Drugs are like catalysts which can bring the most hidden emotions and desires to surface.

• Like 1

I consider myself to be to intelligent for my own good.

However I have found out about how the mind and brain works..

and i keep myself on a natural high most of the day..

if not the whole day.....

I have found inner peace and happiness. in drinking herbal teas...

potions..and beer...

creating art.. planting and selling veggies..

as well as getting more wisdom...

I love music.. art.. poetry..

I love writing poetry and stories that anger mainstream people..

because they are so easy to manipulate.. and play with for fun! lol

I don't take life to serious... I have gained enough knowledge to find inner peace.

I'm a bit of a joker and prankster.

But I also have a good heart.. and try to help people, teach them what I know.

and help them grow together...

I try to keep it positive and as happy and creative as possible..

when I write a new story, make new art, or do a new project that I love.AND make money..

AND have fun and enjoy.. to me that is happiness.

Changing the world is a magical and positive way is also happiness to me.

I will add more later.

Well I endorse the workout regimen; the others are problematic, but of course trying them won't hurt. Why pumpkin seeds? My tendency is to endorse all kinds of seeds and nuts (watching the salt), not for "happiness" so much as for general good health.

Look it up frank. ;) cashoes, pumpkins seeds, depression, vitamin c, vitamin b complex. You might be surprised that much of big pharm is replaceable.

Edited by Seeker79

I don't like arguing about people taking anti-depressives, because I think the anti-pharm propaganda in this case does considerable harm and even kills people.

Vitamins and nuts are all fine.

I don't like arguing about people taking anti-depressives, because I think the anti-pharm propaganda in this case does considerable harm and even kills people.

Vitamins and nuts are all fine.

I'm not anti-pharm totally, I just know that some medicines are easily replaceable through diet. Pumpkin seeds are full of tryptophan, so are soy beans. Vitamains B and C are apart of the process in turning tryptophan into serotonin. It's also in cashoes with the added benefits of magnesium. Small studies are pointing that exercise and eating these nuts and plenty of viitamin C and B supliments are as or more effective than Prozac with the additional health benefits. As for large studies.... Hehehe... Who is going to foot that bill? Not big farm that's for sure. With annual sales for anti depressants topping 11 billion. Im not saying one should not see a doctor about severe depression, but if one is experiencing mild symptoms why not. It can't hurt.

Also passion flower is an MAOI. A passion flower tea 2 or 3 times a day effectively inhibits a tiny portion of the enzym that breakes down serotonin thereby increasing the average amount of serotonin in your system.

All these things together is a prooven method of fighting depression. I work with a lot of people and some just refuse to go to a doctor for their mild symptoms. This regiment is harmless and can head off major problems latter.

For mild symptoms it would certainly be worth a try.

I repeat my little story -- I took an antidepressive about ten years ago for a few years and it worked for me. Because I was depressed I kinda refused to admit it was working, and it took some hard questioning from the doctor for me to realize I wasn't suicidal any more and that I was enjoying life.

I recommend in addition to anti-depressants good nutrition, exercise, sleep hygene, mental techniques that they can teach you, hypnosis, meditation, prayer, music, good sex (even if it's on your own), pets, companions.