Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snowmobiling...

Bavarian Raven

Should snowmobiling for fun be banned?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should snowmobiling for fun be banned?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe (explain).

As the title says, do you think snowmobiling for fun should be banned? It creates pollution, both in the form of needless CO2 emissions and noise. Not to mention it disturbs wildlife and causes other sorts of issues/conflicts.

We were having this discussion in class today, arguing about snowmobiling and whether or not it should be banned (and only used for work related jobs, etc, when there is no alternative mode of transportation).

So what do you guys think?

~

Personally, I think it should be curtailed and eventually phased out as a "sport". (Personally I don't think it's a sport at all, but thats a whole different argument imho). There are much healthier, less pollution sports/activities one can do in the winter and it would cut down on Co2 emissions amongst other things.

Edited by Bavarian Raven

As the title says, do you think snowmobiling for fun should be banned? It creates pollution, both in the form of needless CO2 emissions and noise. Not to mention it disturbs wildlife and causes other sorts of issues/conflicts.

As a resource professional who has dealt with this problem: No. I don't think it should be banned.

For wildlife: snow mobile treads collapse under-snow burrows used by small mammals. This is a problem for them, but restricting snowmobiles to established trails should limit the impact to easily-tolerable levels. There have been some impact studies that show that even in areas reserved for intensive ATV use, less than 5% of the surface is actually touched by a track.

Deer and elk get used to being around people and in Boulder, Allans Park and Estes Park, Colorado, they wander right into town, posing a traffic hazard and dining on homeowner's shrubbry.

An American eagle used to have a perch on a cottonwood limb that overhung Nelson Road north of Boulder, Colorado. I drove under him every morning on my way to work. The traffic didn't seem to bother him much.

A friend of mine, a logging engineer, tells about seeing a spotted owl perched on a limb overhanging a skid trail as a cat towing a load of logs passed underneath. The exhaust ruffled the bird's feathers, but he wouldn't fly away. Nesting sites are another issue; spotted owls want privacy to rear their young. But that's in the summer. Snowmobiles wouldn't be a problem and spotted owls prefer steep terrain where, mostly, snowmobilers don't go.

As for snowmobilers wasting fuel and contributing to global warming: have you ever looked at the line of vehicles at a MacDonald's drivethrough? Every engine is running. We'd get more CO2 benefit out of outlawing fast-food drivethroughs than we would by outlawing snowmobiles.

There is a problem if your reason for being in the woods is to enjoy the winter soitude. a snowmobile can wreck that in short order. But by restricting where snowmobilers can go, we can protect that in other areas.

A further problem is that a lot of people have no manners at all. They are as uncivilized in the woods as they are at home. My wife used to be a ranch girl. She had a herd of 14 horses. One was a big draft horse named Blue. A snow-mobiler started harassing the horses, driving several through a barb-wire efnce and causing serious injury, to the extent that one horse had to be put down. Blue took exception to the attack and came after the guy, knocked him off the snowmobile, then tromped on it with one massive hoof and to add insult to injury, releived himself all over it. The guy tried to sue for damages. The judge ordered him to pay the vet bills and dismissed the suit.

I have other stories, like the woman who went roaring up what she thought was a grassy, snow-covered hill. It was a dam. The reservoir was not frozen. Fortunately, she was able to swim to shore, but the snowmobile spent several months on the bottom of the lake. But that's just a case of not knwoing where you're going or having the common coutesy to ask the landowner for permission, first.

For any resource managers reading this: Just think! In a garage somehwere, right now, an ingeneous idiot is inventing the next assault on the lands you manage.

Anyway, stupidity aside, I see no reaon to outlaw snowmobiles.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

no... I remember growing up a couple times when getting snowed in, snowmobile or cross country skis were the only way to get out of the house. I'm used to seeing the zip trails by the roads and such all winter long. We got some neighbors now that that's how they get about when it snows hard- rather than taking the auto to the local store, they take the snowmobile. And though it's been a while, heh, I do find snowmobiling quite a lot of fun :)

Besides, if the argument is noise, pollution, ect... If snowmobiles are bad and should be banned, all four wheelers, dirt bikes, golf carts, and jet skis should be banned too. For fun that is, not for work.

As a hunter and fisherman i don't like snowmobiles They are noisy and just llike any other outdoor activity, a lot of the riders think they own the world and have the right to do whatever they want. You can occationallly even find some that are VERY rude and abusive towards others. With that being said No they should not be entirely banned. i think that there are places that snowmobiles show not be allowed and the fine should be confiscation of the snowmobiles and monitary damages where needed to repair whatever was damaged ( some wilderness areas and most parks.) but in gerneral they should not be banned ( however in some cases maybe the riders should)

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Like a lot of these things, most people form their opinions based on their experiences with a few bad apples. By and large, the majority of snowmobilers are responsible folks who follow the rules and are lovers of the environment.

So, no, I don't think they should be banned.

If they are, then we should also be talking about banning quads, dirt bikes, and jet skis and, frankly, motorcycles.

In the area I live there has been so many deaths caused by idiots starting avalanches. They show no respect for other people both on the hills and off. They bring money to the town, so their attitudes are that they can do what they want. I think that there is a mind set with the snowmobilers, with a few acceptions, of course, that their arrogance takes over their brain. I have been almost run off the riad because some knucklehead whi diesn't know how to handle his truck with the extra weight if two machines on it, raced to get to the mountain early in the morning. From personal experience, the majority of the sledders are jerks who only think of themselves.

I've only been snowmobiling a few times... and frankly I didn't enjoy it at all. It's noisy, smelly, cold, and yes, dangerous. (although dangerous is the least of my concerns...) But ban it? Hmmm, no, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into snomobiling parks where the area is controlled. For example, we have ATV parks here that are awfull spacious and the area is controlled and designated for ATV'ing specifically.

I dunno, If I were a snowmobiling fan, I'd probably think differently, but since I found it to be an entirely useless recreational sport... I could really care less if it was banned. LOL.

Kind of odd too... I am a big fan of jet skiing... Snowmobling's warmer and funner cousin. LOL.

snowmobile parks would be great if everyone used them, but there are too many people who would say "I don't want groomed snow" there are others who would say " snow parks are too crouded and to noisy." and still others that would say 'eff the rules i'll go where i want." Personnaly I don't like people trying to run me down because i'm on foot and it's funny, or spooking my target durring deer or elk season.

On the other hand it is nice to have a snowmobile if your trying to outrun a bear or an avalanche. it's nice to have a snowmobile when your car or truck is under 5 to 10 feet of snow or when there is so much snow on the road that the car will not go anywhere.

personally i don't like them and wish people would be more responsible with them but i don't think banning them is the answer for the stupidity of a few people ( I'm not targeting any specific person )

i live in snowmobile land... they are allowed on all of the secondary roads here ( supposed to drive on the shoulder) I think they should be made to be quieter.. Some are ridiculously LOUD ... and i think they should be made to go slower.. some are insanely fast ,so, people kill themselves quite often. Some just hit a bump going about 70mph!!!!!! and go airborne and hit a tree or whatever.

( now to see if this will post by hitting . . . *it did

funny... i've only been on two of them for short rides as a passenger.

Edited by lightly

If they ban it then how will the rednecks go from bar to bar in the winter and smash into random trees?

Kidding aside, no, I don't that snowmobiling should be banned. I know many people that enjoy snowmobiling and make it a nice family outing. Just like with anything though you will always find a few bad apples that spoil the rest. Personally, I never really enjoyed it. I owned one once and barely used it.