Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alleged ringleader in India gang rape dead

Keel M.

NEW DELHI -- The alleged ringleader in the gang-rape and death of a young Indian woman in December hanged himself in jail on Monday, officials said, a dramatic twist in a case that has provoked outrage across India.

Ram Singh's lawyer said his client had been composed and calm when he spoke to him on Friday and that there were other inmates in his cell in New Delhi's Tihar jail, raising questions about whether it was a suicide and how it could have gone unnoticed by staff in India's highest security prison.

The lawyer and a prison official said Singh had not been on suicide watch.

Police have described Singh as the ringleader of five men and a juvenile on trial for the December 16 attack on the 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on a bus in the Indian capital. Singh was driving the bus.

Full story

Edited by Lady Kasey
  • Like 1

Now if only the rest would follow.

• Like 7

We can only hope. I told my friend here who is from India about his alleged suicide and she said he wasn't isolated from the general population, so he probably had help.

I'm glad the east Indian government has been recently taking these horrific gang rapes seriously.

I suppose there has been considerable internal/external pressure to do so.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hope the kid could learn hw low he has sunk, but yeah, the rest of them the world wont miss.

• Like 1