Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When did cryptid legends begin?

danbell06

I have been an avid follower of the bigfoot community for a few year now, but where did YOU first hear, read, see or encounter a cryptid? I would say that a few stories i read in school, The minotaur, Where the Wild things are and some other mythylogical books we were force read got me intrigued by mythilogical creatures. I always wondered if it was silly to believe that such things exist(ed), then i found UM and found out i wasnt alone.

So, when did other cryptid legends cement their legacy in history and in your mind?

I knew about Bigfoot for a long time, but I never realized the vast amount of belief behind it and all the other cryptids until I was about 11. Then I discovered all of these interesting and fascinating things on the paranormal when I was about 12 or 13. That's where it all started off and I've been researching and reading about it ever since.

As for in history, most likely for a very long time. Belief in ghosts and spirits has been around for a very long time. I would guess the same for cryptids. Aliens would probably have been around for a little less time since people (I'm assuming) were quite ignorant about what was in the far reaches of the universe for a long time.

A lot of people seem to have such an interest and fascination with the unknown, me included. I've always wondered why that is.

A lot of people seem to have such an interest and fascination with the unknown, me included. I've always wondered why that is.

I'm also part of the crew whom have an infatuation with the unknown.

The desire to find out about the unknown has always been there and is clear from an early age in everyone, I surmise. I think that if a creature was found that was thought to be folklore was discovered to be real it could go either way, people could hunt them or the interest could cease.

I think there have been Bigfoot stories around since the 1800's. At least that is what they said on a show I was watching one time. Can't remember the name of it.

I first learned about people believing in bigfoot, ghost and aliens when I got into my dad's paperback book collection in like 5th grade (1979?). Also started playing Dungeons and Dragons at that time too. So wanted to learn about the monsters and began reading up on myths and monsters. Was bigtime into Norse myths in Junior High. Used to scare my little brother with bigfoot stories and by making fake footprints on logging roads.

I've never seen bigfoot or anything I would say is Crypto... except a antlered white stag deer one time on the other side of a canyon. I think I may have seen a UFO or two when I was a kid, but those could easily have been someone hobby plane or something.

Edited by DieChecker

Ever since man could draw speek or write there have been stories. It`s human nature. Imagination or lack of knowing sparked freaky crap.

As a 1960's kid- campfire ghost stories to creepy Classic movies on TV to Chariots of Fire to L Ron Hubbard to the iconic PGF shot... I've always enjoyed the feeling of being scared from something supernatural, otherworldy, monster-like...

I like to think the first people to

dream

venture out beyond the known

bring back a big kill

be alone

impress a mate or child

be bored

experience a natural disaster

see death

witness violence

is when imaginative tales were born.

Something like that anyway.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

As a 1960's kid- campfire ghost stories to creepy Classic movies on TV to Chariots of Fire to L Ron Hubbard to the iconic PGF shot... I've always enjoyed the feeling of being scared from something supernatural, otherworldy, monster-like...

I like to think the first people to

dream

venture out beyond the known

bring back a big kill

be alone

impress a mate or child

be bored

experience a natural disaster

see death

witness violence

is when imaginative tales were born.

Something like that anyway.

I'm the same way inclined. My fiancee thinks im sadistic but people are wired differently. Anything to do with the psychology of the human psyche is so interesting to me. I could sit and watch hour after hour of murder documentaries. Does that mean I'm going to go on a murderous rampage? Not at all. The things I'm interested in are purely that. Interests. Trying to tell the future mrs this is out of the question. I have quite a lot of books on the subject simply because I strain to understand why people do what they do. Again its the fear that drives the interest.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed the feeling of being scared from something supernatural, otherworldy, monster-like...

Yeah! I'm a 70's kid and when I found that particular little section in the non-fiction section of the school library I was hooked!

Loch Ness Monster

Bigfoot

Ghosts

UFOs

Aliens

Mary Celest

Bermuda Triangle

Stone Henge

Crystal Skulls

Lost Worlds

It was like having the secrets of the universe at your fingertips - like you were one of the ones in the know about the mysteries of life. It was NON-FICTION (ie fact), after all. I was puzzled about why more people know about these things, readily dismissed them, or didn't even care about them. Couldn't they see Aliens were already here, dammit!

It was kind of disappointing that I grew up in what I thought was the most unparanormal place in the world...

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1

During the course of battle, cryptid cards are divided into two units: the front line, and the back line. Cards on the front line are given first priority in battle over back line cards, and are the only cards able to activate skills. Cards not placed on the front line are automatically placed on the back line, where they will contribute a maximum of 80% of their attack or defense to battle.

Edited by Adley

During the course of battle, cryptid cards are divided into two units: the front line, and the back line. Cards on the front line are given first priority in battle over back line cards, and are the only cards able to activate skills. Cards not placed on the front line are automatically placed on the back line, where they will contribute a maximum of 80% of their attack or defense to battle.

Wow. Thanks a lot for that.