Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Japanese history lessons leave out

ExpandMyMind

I mentioned in another thread that the Japanese aren't taught about their soldiers' horrific acts of last century, and that this can be dangerous. I found this article today for anyone who's interested.

Japanese people often fail to understand why neighbouring countries harbour a grudge over events that happened in the 1930s and 40s. The reason, in many cases, is that they barely learned any 20th Century history. I myself only got a full picture when I left Japan and went to school in Australia.

From Homo erectus to the present day - 300,000 years of history in just one year of lessons. That is how, at the age of 14, I first learned of Japan's relations with the outside world.

For three hours a week - 105 hours over the year - we edged towards the 20th Century.

It's hardly surprising that some classes, in some schools, never get there, and are told by teachers to finish the book in their spare time.

When I returned recently to my old school, Sacred Heart in Tokyo, teachers told me they often have to start hurrying, near the end of the year, to make sure they have time for World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21226068

• Like 1

Maybe there should be a class just for 20th century history.

• Like 2

I think children should be taught what the germans got up to in the last war.

They are.

• Like 3

I think children should be taught what the germans got up to in the last war.

They are.

Surely you only have to open a copy of the Sun or the Daily Mail, or to turn on any "history" channel on satellite TV, and you can't move for Nazis. Sometimes I think it might be an idea to remind people that there was a lot of German history before 1914, even if Germany only existed as a country since the 1870s.

• Like 2

Surely you only have to open a copy of the Sun or the Daily Mail, or to turn on any "history" channel on satellite TV, and you can't move for Nazis. Sometimes I think it might be an idea to remind people that there was a lot of German history before 1914, even if Germany only existed as a country since the 1870s.

I would just like to add that the German identity is much, much older than that,

• Like 1