Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little boy, 3, to have 2ft-long hair cut off

Commander CMG

A little boy who has never had his hair cut is getting his two foot long locks chopped off - to make a wig for children with cancer.

Elijah Edney, three, is donating his long golden mane to charity and hopes to raise enough money to pay for the wig to be made.

His mother Amber Edney, 27, says she let Elijah grow his hair how he liked, but now people are starting to mistake him for a girl because of his tresses.

Read more

What's his mother thinking of letting it get that long in the first place?

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

What's his mother thinking of letting it get that long in the first place?

Oh my gosh! A boy with long hair? What was the mother thinking!?! :o

Mrs Edney, a dinner lady, said: 'Elijah has always had beautiful hair, so I let him grow it like he wanted. It's like silk.

^_^

I was under the impression that at a certain age it is quite difficult to distinguish a girl form a boy based on mere looks.

Even if the boy had short hair he'd still have the supposed 'girlish' looks.

But as I look at the boy many of his features, at least for now, has a rather 'girlish' look so even if you try to block out the hair he still will look like a girl.

At least his hair isn't wavy or thick otherwise it would be a really pain.

Personally I do not have an issue with boys having long hair..it is society that makes it practically a crime to have long hair.

The kid is only three and has no conception of cancer; this is his mother's doing.

I suspect he is not gonna like the process, either.

• Like 2

The kid is only three and has no conception of cancer; this is his mother's doing.

I suspect he is not gonna like the process, either.

I suspect he'll enjoy not being called Goldilocks any longer.

• Like 1

That happens when you are six or so.

Do you think he did it on behalf of Red Nose Day like Jessie J?

• Like 1

He does have nice hair but you would think his mother would know that he'd be mistaken for a girl because of it. He's only three, it sounds like growing it that length was more her doing than his, she liked it too much herself to suggest he should have it cut. At least now he is getting it cut his hair is going to a good cause.

• Like 2

When I was a kid all our heads were kept shaved (lice). Thank the Heavens those days are over.

When I was a kid all our heads were kept shaved (lice). Thank the Heavens those days are over.

I used to have long hair and when I was a kid my mum would comb it regularly with a nit comb. She was terrified of finding some but luckily never did. We had a nit nurse in school too and she'd go rummaging through our scalp every so often.

• Like 1

With some exceptions at different times in different places during history, long, or longish hair has been normal. Even the English puritans had long flowing locks. I dream of the sidelock coming back into fashion, but just a dream..... except for some Cossacks still....

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have long hair and when I was a kid my mum would comb it regularly with a nit comb. She was terrified of finding some but luckily never did. We had a nit nurse in school too and she'd go rummaging through our scalp every so often.

"Nit nurse" - now that's a weird job title. :hmm:

• Like 1

I dig the little dudes long hair.

Back to the dog days.

That happens when you are six or so.

Not necessarily, When I was 20 yrs and was rockin' the long hair look, I was called Goldilocks. I was at a county field-days somewhere in redneckville and the local police of all people were giving me a hard time and calling me Goldilocks. They eventually kicked me and the rest of my band out of there for literally no reason other than us all having long hair.

• Like 1

Not necessarily, When I was 20 yrs and was rockin' the long hair look, I was called Goldilocks. I was at a county field-days somewhere in redneckville and the local police of all people were giving me a hard time and calling me Goldilocks. They eventually kicked me and the rest of my band out of there for literally no reason other than us all having long hair.

Was this back in the 1950's?

Was this back in the 1950's?

1989 to be exact. Lacona, NY.

• Like 1

1989 to be exact. Lacona, NY.

Wow. Sad . I thought stupid 'backwoods' American cops were just a Hollywood stereotype/myth. :(

• Like 1

Wow. Sad . I thought stupid 'backwoods' American cops were just a Hollywood stereotype/myth. :(

Not a myth my friend.

When I finally decided to chop off my long hair they didn't have anything like what the little boy in this topic did with his. I sure wish they did because I had some pretty long hair.

My daughter grows her hair out and then donates it to Locks of Love when she gets it cut.

• Like 1