Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Martin meets Barack

Babe Ruth

Martin Luther King is well known for his many famous sayings, including those against the war in Vietnam. Indeed, speaking out against it may have been the last straw leading to his assassination.

One of his famous quips is that we are a nation of guided missles and unguided men.

The irony of the country's first black president being known as a gunslinger, sending his guided missles hither and yon killing all manner of innocents, seems rich to me. An unguided black man raining down guided missles on other black men around the world.

I wonder how an imaginary meeting between Martin and Barack might go? Would Martin criticize Barack for his illegal and murderous ways? If Cornel West were in on the meeting, would Barack even attend?

• Like 1

In my opinion, MLK one of, if not the greatest Americans. BHO, not so much. But it really is not right to compare them just because they are both black. One was a leader because he had a powerful and true message and people loved him. The other because he had powerful donors and the banks loved him.

• Like 2

I cannot help but compare them because they are both black.

Though white, I and my brothers and sisters were half-raised by a wonderful black woman when we were young. It was explained to me during high school and later just what "soul" is, and how black folks expected to be treated. It made sense, and I understood what they meant by "soul", even though this was just a figure of speech.

Having read the biography of Obama's mother, and now judging him as President, it seems to me he has no soul at all. It seems to me he might have received all the genes from his mother that make a person the proverbial White Devil. Just a theory.

MLK knew what justice and fair treatment was. Barack talks the talk but cannot walk the walk. All of his actions, not just the guided missle part, demonstrate that he is not guided by principles that motivated MLK and of which he spoke. MLK knew an unjust war when he saw one. Barack gives it lip service, as Cornel West pointed out, but cannot act accordingly.

In his actions, Barack is the polar opposite of MLK. Though Barack has a silver tongue, he has no soul and a heart of ice.

• Like 1

Then why not a comparison between Barack and Lil Wayne, they are both black?

But, the key difference is that MLK was a religious leader trying to make a social change. President Obama is the leader of the free world. I fail to see how their race makes them similar in this regard.

• Like 1

One thing is for sure. Barack had every opportunity and ability at his will to make MLKs dream come true or at least try. He could've done great things for race relations but instead has done all but and arguably has set race relations back. All of these abilities are, were, do to his race.

Instead, he panders, holds blacks above the law concerning voting discrimination, says police acted stupidly on his black buddy when in fact they were justified and said if he had a son he'd look like Trayvon when he shouldn't have said anything at all.

• Like 2

^How has he pandered to black people in any way at all? The racists are the ones doing bad things for race relations, not Obama. Tell me exactly what he was supposed to do. If you were him of course, what would you do?

Edited by andy4

This post is ridiculous from the start King did a lot of good for equality but this man was far from the saint he has been portrayed as in american history books.The real truth behind this man is far more disturbing than some can even fathom based on the halo put around his head by modern historians.Some of the facts can still be found,just to stay PC lets all give praise.Modern history is/has been so manipulated it is pathetic.This is not kings fault though i am sure he would rather have had the truth told while he was alive than BS about him since he has been gone.

• Like 2

Having read the biography of Obama's mother, and now judging him as President, it seems to me he has no soul at all. It seems to me he might have received all the genes from his mother that make a person the proverbial White Devil. Just a theory.

Are you saying white people have no soul?

• Like 1

It is a figure of speech, Wearer Of Hats, not the literal truth.

Mr. Fess

Your first sentence is exactly the point I'm trying to make with this thread. He has had a chance to bring about good positive change to help the common man and lead in good governance, but he has utterly squandered that chance, as Cornel West pointed out a few weeks ago. Barack has offered great lip service, but nothing of substance to the common man. He has supported corporations in exchange for the contributions they gave him. He has utterly defiled his oath of office and the US Constitution.

Crimson King

I am not trying to make the case that MLK was some sort of angel. No, he was a mere mortal like the rest of us.

But he knew right from wrong, and used his influence to talk about it in the public realm. He criticized the government and was punished accordingly.

He was a principled man, however imperfect, and Barack shows no evidence he is. King was guided by principles, Barack is guided by greed and obeisance to a corrupt system. King is dead, Barack still lives.

• Like 1

It is a figure of speech, Wearer Of Hats, not the literal truth.

Must be one of those cultural things that hasn't crossed the Pacific.

• Like 1

Must be one of those cultural things that hasn't crossed the Pacific.

Yes, to fully appreciate the notion, one must be immersed in american society. Most black folks have soul, most white folks don't. Obviously, there are exceptions on both sides.

Soul meaning empathy and much more. Rhythm too, I suppose. White boys can neither jump, nor dance very well. :tu:

From what I can see, Barack ain't got no soul.