Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Never talk to the Police

redhen

I guess the other one would have to be a lawyer. :innocent:

:nw:

I've always talked to the police in a very respectful manner, answering whatever they ask. I've never had a problem. I respect them. They respect me.

• Like 3

I've always talked to the police in a very respectful manner, answering whatever they ask. I've never had a problem. I respect them. They respect me.

That is how it should be....

I am wondering though......There are 3 reasons you need to talk to them anyway.

1. You needed them

2. You did something stupid, and they are doing there job.

3. You were a witness to a accident or a crime.

I am now 47. I had a few brushes with the Police, when I was 16 to 18 years old......Speeding, young and a young attitude.

If you have a Officer talking to you, it is one of those things. If it is number 2, and you find yourself talking to the Police a lot, you may want to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Funny, some people b**** about the police, yet that day they need them, they sure do like them.

• Like 3

That is how it should be....

I am wondering though......There are 3 reasons you need to talk to them anyway.

1. You needed them

2. You did something stupid, and they are doing there job.

3. You were a witness to a accident or a crime.

I am now 47. I had a few brushes with the Police, when I was 16 to 18 years old......Speeding, young and a young attitude.

If you have a Officer talking to you, it is one of those things. If it is number 2, and you find yourself talking to the Police a lot, you may want to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Funny, some people b**** about the police, yet that day they need them, they sure do like them.

I've had all three experiences with the police. As well as doing things that seemed suspicious but were innocent. They were alarmed and very stern with me until I explained what I was doing. I could have gotten all indigent and huffy but I did not. I thanked them for their concern and for keeping the public safe. I believe the vast majority of policemen joined the force to protect innocent people.

• Like 2

It probably depends on the Officer. If the officer comes across as friendly and willing to listen then talking is probably not so bad an idea. But, if the officer is belligerent already, or arrogant (as some are) then you're better off not talking and just taking a ride downtown.

Further advice. Don't open your door. Talk through the door or a window and tell them if it's too hard to hear you to call you on your phone. If they ask if they can search something (like your car) always, ALWAYS, say no. If they cansearch something without getting a warrant they won't bother to ask, so if they ask it's because they have no legitamate reason to search it. Don't even worry about you refusing seeming suspicious.

• Like 1

It probably depends on the Officer. If the officer comes across as friendly and willing to listen then talking is probably not so bad an idea. But, if the officer is belligerent already, or arrogant (as some are) then you're better off not talking and just taking a ride downtown.

I was yelled at and the policeman had his hand on his gun. I did everything he told me to and calmly explained what I was doing. I think that when they seem to over react we need to understand that their lives are on the line and their adrenaline is pumping hard.

What if your spouse is a cop?

Well, if your wife is a cop then it's simple. Anything you say will be used against you.

• Like 2

Let's be honest; people self-select to become cops for complex reasons, and public service is a bit down the list. Often they have their own authority hangups, or other personality characteristics (vindictiveness, an excess of self-righteousness, etc.) that don't make for ideal law enforcement. The pubic can filter out some of this but usually doesn't make much effort. Also, they aren't at the top of their class or they would become professionals (lawyers, doctors, etc.).

So when you are dealing with the police this is the reality. Being respectful is good practice with everyone, but it is also good practice to keep your secrets to yourself with everyone. As I said earlier, a little cooperation can save everyone a lot of hassle, but there will always come a time when you tell them you want a lawyer -- respectfully -- and then don't effectively waive your right to remain silent by continuing to talk.