Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Game of Thrones

Paranoid Android

I think she plays the part of the fuzzy headed idiot perfectly. She is smart and used to living in the cut throat world of TGOT politics and knows exactly what she is getting into . Give her time and you'll be on her side. Geoffrey has met his match.

Well I watch a lot of TV - like, a LOT - so I like to think I can distinguish bad acting from good. I do like her character from the books (she's not one of my favourites though), but her performance was quite stale. Sometimes when she spoke at the dinner, it felt forced and it actually made me picture the scene being produced. But I have to say her scene at the orphanage was quite touching and natural. Possibly the dinner was filmed first and it was just a case of nerves or getting into the swing of things?

I'm not sure you needed the tags btw, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!

Was a bit disappointed by the small scar Tyrion had, as well as a still normal nose. I think the gruesomeness of the book version is truly needed to set him off on his journey, with the perils of being a horrifically scarred and ugly dwarf. It is needed for his character development.

But apart from that, it was an amazing episode. This show might even be my favourite, if it wasn't for Breaking Bad. The acting of everyone was amazing, with the exception of the new queen to be. She's a horrible actress. So wooden.

Oh she's famous from her stint in The Tudors. You love to hate her . This all seems like purposeful pretentious foreplay .

Give her time . I also think she's had a nose job since last season ,or am I imagining it .

Well, I've seen the first episode. I really enjoyed it. Just getting back into the swing of things after so long without. For the most part I really enjoyed it. Some notable changes from the books, though:

The Unsullied didn't kill babies to earn their place, from memory. I could be wrong, but my memory says that it was a pet dog. In tonight's episode they just went and slaughtered a slave child. In the books, they had to raise the dog from the age of 5, feed it, teach it, look after it. And then slaughter it in cold blood. Not sure about the difference. Killing a baby is worse than a dog, but there's no emotional attachment to a slave child, but to a pet animal they had raised for years, there is.

That's not the only thing, but it was to me the most interesting of the changes. I'm really looking forward to how things escalate between now and the next few episodes. Reviews say that the first couple of episodes really just warm things up a little, but I was enjoying the drama of tonight's episode. Bring on the rest :yes:

I wonder if the speed of the show is playing on GRRM's mind? Considering how long it took for the last book to come out, perhaps the fact that he's running on a timetable now will force him to speed things up a little? I wouldn't be opposed to that, the length of time between books was what put me off the series in the first place (my interest has been rekindled since the series first came out, and so re-reading the books, I've forgotten almost everything I read when I was in High School).

Hate to burst your bubble but authors like GRRM, Rowling, King, et al (Patterson), employ a team of writers once they've reached that level of success.

Praying for a power cut.. It's always us poor third world countries that lose out.

If North Korea strike the US.. we will be well stuffed, we wil only have the BBC, ITV.. Eastenders & Coronation street.

Ha! If North Korea strikes the US... When Dragons fly over Los Angeles... :lol:

Hate to burst your bubble but authors like GRRM, Rowling, King, et al (Patterson), employ a team of writers once they've reached that level of success.

Ah, and I'm sure you have evidence to support this theory? Links to the team of writers, perhaps? Sure, they have Editors, but the editors don't write the stories, they just read it, trim it where needed and suggest alternatives. Robert Jordan, for example, had only one Editor - his wife. When Jordan died, she eventually found a shadow writer to write on Jordan's behalf. But since Jordan knew he was going to die he'd already written plot lines, story arcs, even some dialogue and description (sometimes entire chapters were written, other times only a brief outline of the chapter). But there was no team of writers.

And unless you can provide proof of this, I'll acknowledge your theory and then routinely dismiss it. Thanks :)

• Like 1

Well, I've seen the first episode. I really enjoyed it. Just getting back into the swing of things after so long without. For the most part I really enjoyed it. Some notable changes from the books, though:

The Unsullied didn't kill babies to earn their place, from memory. I could be wrong, but my memory says that it was a pet dog. In tonight's episode they just went and slaughtered a slave child. In the books, they had to raise the dog from the age of 5, feed it, teach it, look after it. And then slaughter it in cold blood. Not sure about the difference. Killing a baby is worse than a dog, but there's no emotional attachment to a slave child, but to a pet animal they had raised for years, there is.

That's not the only thing, but it was to me the most interesting of the changes. I'm really looking forward to how things escalate between now and the next few episodes. Reviews say that the first couple of episodes really just warm things up a little, but I was enjoying the drama of tonight's episode. Bring on the rest :yes:

Agreed--except for the book part and the 'hidden' spoiler. I think there should be separate threads for the show and the comparison between the show and the books.

Anyway, the season opener was fantastic. Loved the degree of continuity, picking up where S2 left off just enough and almost no spoon-feeding the audience (quite similar to 'Homeland' or 'Spartacus').

Ah, and I'm sure you have evidence to support this theory? Links to the team of writers, perhaps? Sure, they have Editors, but the editors don't write the stories, they just read it, trim it where needed and suggest alternatives. Robert Jordan, for example, had only one Editor - his wife. When Jordan died, she eventually found a shadow writer to write on Jordan's behalf. But since Jordan knew he was going to die he'd already written plot lines, story arcs, even some dialogue and description (sometimes entire chapters were written, other times only a brief outline of the chapter). But there was no team of writers.

And unless you can provide proof of this, I'll acknowledge your theory and then routinely dismiss it. Thanks :)

I don't wish to start an argument with you but it's more common than anyone would like to think.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12689/your-favorite-authors-are-frauds-6-famous-ghostwriters

http://open.salon.com/blog/kikstad/2010/02/23/do_some_bestselling_authors_use_ghostwriters

http://flavorwire.com/274052/whodunit-10-famous-ghostwriting-collaborations

http://www.catherinemaccoun.com/ghostwrite.html

http://www.andrewcrofts.com/WhatIs.html

Agreed--except for the book part and the 'hidden' spoiler. I think there should be separate threads for the show and the comparison between the show and the books.

Anyway, the season opener was fantastic. Loved the degree of continuity, picking up where S2 left off just enough and almost no spoon-feeding the audience (quite similar to 'Homeland' or 'Spartacus').

I appreciated teh lack of spoon feeding as well! Glad someone else noticed. I hate when a season comprised of just ten shows spends one or sometimes two just to "catch people up". They ran the entire two previous seasons a couple of times and that should be enough. Plus, trying to catch someone up with TGOT's is like trying to hop a ride on a moving bullet train. :yes:

You misunderstand me. I'm not denying that ghostwriters exists. I know they do. What I am challenging is the view that as soon as an author reaches a level of fame, that they automatically sit back and allow teams of ghostwriters to do so on their behalf. GRRM giving Book 6 to a ghostwriter, for example. Or in another example you used, JK Rowling. What evidence is there that Harry Potter was written by ghostwriters after she became famous? Sure, in the future it may just be that Rowling decides to make some money and allow someone else to write in her name. But not with Harry Potter.

It's also worth noting that when you refer to teams of ghostwriters, you're referring to the author having no further intellectual input into a book. In the case of a standalone novel (let's say a thriller by Stephen King), this may work. But if it is book 3 in a series of 7 books, no author is just going hand over the creative rights and say "I don't care how it ends now, it's in your hands".

As I said, I don't disagree that Shadow writers exist. What I disagree with is your carte blanche approach to writers hiring ghosts to pen their writings when they still are working on their vision of a series.

• Like 3

I'm liking the TV series a lot better than the book. I read the first book and half the second but lost interest. The books have too much attention to detail for me, I like a quick read.

You misunderstand me. I'm not denying that ghostwriters exists. I know they do. What I am challenging is the view that as soon as an author reaches a level of fame, that they automatically sit back and allow teams of ghostwriters to do so on their behalf. GRRM giving Book 6 to a ghostwriter, for example. Or in another example you used, JK Rowling. What evidence is there that Harry Potter was written by ghostwriters after she became famous? Sure, in the future it may just be that Rowling decides to make some money and allow someone else to write in her name. But not with Harry Potter.

It's also worth noting that when you refer to teams of ghostwriters, you're referring to the author having no further intellectual input into a book. In the case of a standalone novel (let's say a thriller by Stephen King), this may work. But if it is book 3 in a series of 7 books, no author is just going hand over the creative rights and say "I don't care how it ends now, it's in your hands".

As I said, I don't disagree that Shadow writers exist. What I disagree with is your carte blanche approach to writers hiring ghosts to pen their writings when they still are working on their vision of a series.

Okay. I think we're on the same page now (pun intended!).

I'm liking the TV series a lot better than the book. I read the first book and half the second but lost interest. The books have too much attention to detail for me, I like a quick read.

What i have done is watched season one, stored the characters images in my head and voices. Then I read the book and pictured the book in my head and read the book like the TV versions. So when there is speech in the book I read them in their voices and picture the setting

I thought it was a grerat 1st episode. As far as Natalie Dormer's (Margaery Tryell) acting, it was fine. She is faking everything when she is around Joffrey and he isn't picking up on how disengenuous she is. She hates him but has to pretend she likes him.

• Like 2

I thought it was a grerat 1st episode. As far as Natalie Dormer's (Margaery Tryell) acting, it was fine. She is faking everything when she is around Joffrey and he isn't picking up on how disengenuous she is. She hates him but has to pretend she likes him.

Cersei knew exactly what the girl was doing and knows that she can't say squat since they are dependent on the Tyrells for food and supplies since half "their kingdom" has been burned to the ground and there is no crop to harvest. Margaery also knows that she can do as she pleases because Tywin will keep both Joffrey and Cersei on a tight leash until the Tyrells are no longer needed.

• Like 1

Barristan isn't supposed to tell Dany and Jorah who he is. Ruined the surprise.

Other than that, great first episode! Really need to re read the books.

I watched the first episode and loved it... A week ago I hadn't heard of 'Game of Thrones' and I have managed to watch season 1 & 2 all week back to back, finally watching the last episode of season 2 on Saturday, evening.

Its been like one long movie for me, with everything fresh before I went into the next episode and now I have to wait a week before the next one.. How dare they.

I Don't watch the last two seasons too quickly, I got season one in Jan and only just finished it about 2 weeks ago

Oh -- it's too late for me to edit my post, but -- also disappointed we didn't actually get to see the Fist of the First Men battle. But meh.

Spoiler tags just to be sure.

Edited by Queen in the North

Barristan isn't supposed to tell Dany and Jorah who he is. Ruined the surprise.

Other than that, great first episode! Really need to re read the books.

I saw that too and his partner was missing as well. Obviously they aren't following the books all that closely, just too much to put into a few episodes but I still think the screenwriters have done a superb job.

Oh -- it's too late for me to edit my post, but -- also disappointed we didn't actually get to see the Fist of the First Men battle. But meh.

Spoiler tags just to be sure.

Maybe next week, They left the north early on so I think they will come back and show it.

They have to show that the obsidian blades are the secret weapon.

What i have done is watched season one, stored the characters images in my head and voices. Then I read the book and pictured the book in my head and read the book like the TV versions. So when there is speech in the book I read them in their voices and picture the setting

I actually did that too haha. I watched the first season, enjoyed it so much I bought the book and read that. Then bought the second book and tried to read it all by the time the second season came out. Got a bit sidetracked and ended up just watching the season instead of reading the rest of the book.

I actually did that too haha. I watched the first season, enjoyed it so much I bought the book and read that. Then bought the second book and tried to read it all by the time the second season came out. Got a bit sidetracked and ended up just watching the season instead of reading the rest of the book.

Completely natural. I read the half the Aubrey, Maturin series before the movie "Master and Commander" came out and the last half of the series and the second time around I pictured the actors every time. LOTR and The GOT as well. We just can't help ourselves, especially when the show is well made as the above examples were. Our amazing brains at work, I guess. It strives for images and when one is offered our brains consume it over what we had pictured before without regard.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Maybe next week, They left the north early on so I think they will come back and show it.

They have to show that the obsidian blades are the secret weapon.

I hope so!

I really hope they stick with it being Sam who kills an Other with the obsidian, let him redeem himself after the ravens.

• Like 1

I've got a friend of mine who's staying at my place for a night or two. We were just on television, nothing really on that we were interested in, so I asked him if he'd heard of Game of Thrones. He had no idea what it was so I've started at Season 1 again with him. Every five minutes, I hear him mutter, "Damn", "awesome", "wha--", and other similar phrases. I think he likes it :P

@ Queen in the North -

They have to make it Sam, anything else would make no sense, unless they want to totally assassinate Sam's character

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned