Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Game of Thrones

Paranoid Android

There is an interview with the producers somewhere in this thread, I believe, where this very issue is discussed by them. I'll try and find it when on a better computer but check out this article on reactions to the Red Wedding.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-game-of-thrones-red-wedding-reaction-twitter-youtube-20130603,0,5089128.story

Wow, people are furious.

We've been coddled into a false sense of reality by Hollywood. Cool and sympathetic characters never die .

• Like 1

Waaaahhh, another 9 months before Season 4. I really enjoyed this episode, though as far as cliffhangers go I think this is the weakest ending scene in the three season so far. I mean, season 1 we saw the birth of the dragons, in season 2 we saw the White Walkers leading hoards of zombies, this season felt just a little less epic considering that. But in saying that the episode itself was really engaging. An overall fantastic way for the season to end.

I'm glad we got to see Arya use the coin Jaqen gave her to stab the person sitting in the forest. That was one scene I wished they'd kept in from the book during her escape from Harrenhal, it looks like they were just waiting to use it in another context, one that I think was more emotional than the book. And then her reply to Sandor Clegane when asked if she'd killed a man before and she says, "no, not a man", but she did kill a boy with Needle.

I can't believe we need to wait so long for Season 4 :(

• Like 2

Waaaahhh, another 9 months before Season 4. I really enjoyed this episode, though as far as cliffhangers go I think this is the weakest ending scene in the three season so far. I mean, season 1 we saw the birth of the dragons, in season 2 we saw the White Walkers leading hoards of zombies, this season felt just a little less epic considering that. But in saying that the episode itself was really engaging. An overall fantastic way for the season to end.

I'm glad we got to see Arya use the coin Jaqen gave her to stab the person sitting in the forest. That was one scene I wished they'd kept in from the book during her escape from Harrenhal, it looks like they were just waiting to use it in another context, one that I think was more emotional than the book. And then her reply to Sandor Clegane when asked if she'd killed a man before and she says, "no, not a man", but she did kill a boy with Needle.

I can't believe we need to wait so long for Season 4 :(

Your spoiler made me gleeful ,but I wanted to see someone ......pay ...before next season .

I wanted ___ ____ to die in great numbers !!

Argh !

I was hoping that they'd show Joffrey's wedding in the finale.

Edited by Wordless Wanderer

Your spoiler made me gleeful ,but I wanted to see someone ......pay ...before next season .

I wanted ___ ____ to die in great numbers !!

Argh !

All I can say is that the story, so far, has been a prelude to the main story that is coming. No one has a clue as to how this will all end but this thing goes through changes as winter closes in and the world gets more supernatural. This last episode was perfect because the Red Wedding is so heinous and disturbing that they needed to bring things back to "normality" and set the stage for next season.

I think the directing, storytelling and acting is even better this season than it was before and that is saying something. They are learning how to handle this massive story and navigating the narrows of the book people and the show people better than I have ever seen done. Every blog and fan site is pretty much on board with the "No Spoliers" rule. It really is something to behold and very well illustrated here. The internet has grown up and we police ourselves.

FWIW, Peter Dinklage deserves another Emmy. He is far and away the best actor on television. He makes the show what it is because Tyrion is such a bizarre character and yet supremely important to the story line. I didn't think a man existed that could bring that character to life but I was proved wrong. He has made that character real and even better than the book.

• Like 3

I'm thinking Peter Dinklage has overtaken Warwick Davis as the "go-to Dwarf" when thinking about movies or shows. For so long, pretty much since Star Wars in the mid-80's, Warwick Davis has been THE man when it comes to short men on screen. Then a few years back, the newest remake of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe had both Warwick Davis and Peter Dinklage as two competing dwarves (Davis was the "bad" dwarf). With the rise of Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage is taking it to a whole new level, and I agree he is one of the greatest actors currently on tv (I won't say THE greatest, but he's damn good, and definitely deserves an Emmy - though Michelle Fairley should earn some kind of gong for what she did at the Red Wedding - that was just perfect.

I'm kind of sad we didn't see Joffrey's wedding this episode too, but unless they made it a movie-length double episode I doubt they would have done it justice. All things considered, Joffrey will probably have a major role to play in Season 4 (well, larger than he did in season 3, all in all I don't think we got to see that much of him this year).

• Like 2

All I can say is that the story, so far, has been a prelude to the main story that is coming. No one has a clue as to how this will all end but this thing goes through changes as winter closes in and the world gets more supernatural. This last episode was perfect because the Red Wedding is so heinous and disturbing that they needed to bring things back to "normality" and set the stage for next season.

I think the directing, storytelling and acting is even better this season than it was before and that is saying something. They are learning how to handle this massive story and navigating the narrows of the book people and the show people better than I have ever seen done. Every blog and fan site is pretty much on board with the "No Spoliers" rule. It really is something to behold and very well illustrated here. The internet has grown up and we police ourselves.

FWIW, Peter Dinklage deserves another Emmy. He is far and away the best actor on television. He makes the show what it is because Tyrion is such a bizarre character and yet supremely important to the story line. I didn't think a man existed that could bring that character to life but I was proved wrong. He has made that character real and even better than the book.

I said this about Dinklage last season too.

The people reading the books that have your perspective .

So,I went and read the plot to date,in the books .

Aryas future is now my focal point . Danys is worrisome .

And yes WW ,I had hoped to see Joffreys wedding in the last episode .

• Like 1

I'm thinking Peter Dinklage has overtaken Warwick Davis as the "go-to Dwarf" when thinking about movies or shows. For so long, pretty much since Star Wars in the mid-80's, Warwick Davis has been THE man when it comes to short men on screen. Then a few years back, the newest remake of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe had both Warwick Davis and Peter Dinklage as two competing dwarves (Davis was the "bad" dwarf). With the rise of Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage is taking it to a whole new level, and I agree he is one of the greatest actors currently on tv (I won't say THE greatest, but he's damn good, and definitely deserves an Emmy - though Michelle Fairley should earn some kind of gong for what she did at the Red Wedding - that was just perfect.

I'm kind of sad we didn't see Joffrey's wedding this episode too, but unless they made it a movie-length double episode I doubt they would have done it justice. All things considered, Joffrey will probably have a major role to play in Season 4 (well, larger than he did in season 3, all in all I don't think we got to see that much of him this year).

Well,it could be that Hollywood has matured since Warwick was at his height in fame ,but Dinklage has done tons of "credible" work .

He was a recurring character on 30 Rock .He's done quite a few acclaimed Indies movies ,and he's never seen as a fantasy character .

Like a dwarf or elf. I think he went into the business saying,I will NEVER do a role like any that Warwick Davis did .No fantasy creatures .

He wanted to be known for his acting,not his oddity appeal .

He stuck with that ,and its quite obviously paid off .

I will still always love warwick in Willow though .

Not sure about Warwick but I think Dinklage is more than comparable to his full-sized counterparts. :)

• Like 2

Not sure about Warwick but I think Dinklage is more than comparable to his full-sized counterparts. :)

Warwick was type cast from the outset ,which Peter strove to avoid .

The roles they play,are very different .

Warwick

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001116/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Davis

He's also never won an award acknowledging anything he's ever done.

I wonder ,given he's actually English ,if he tried out for the part of Tyrion ,and didn't get it .

All in all ,Warwicks work paved the way for other actors of his stature ,and he's never been given a deserved pat on the back .

Peter

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Dinklage

He's been nominated for a lot .

• Like 1

Well,it could be that Hollywood has matured since Warwick was at his height in fame ,but Dinklage has done tons of "credible" work .

He was a recurring character on 30 Rock .He's done quite a few acclaimed Indies movies ,and he's never seen as a fantasy character .

Like a dwarf or elf. I think he went into the business saying,I will NEVER do a role like any that Warwick Davis did .No fantasy creatures .

He wanted to be known for his acting,not his oddity appeal .

He stuck with that ,and its quite obviously paid off .

I will still always love warwick in Willow though .

Possibly, though he did play a dwarf directly opposite Davis in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (actually now that I think on it, I think it may have been Prince Caspian, the sequel). Either way, playing a fantasy dwarf alongside his competitor's fantasy dwarf doesn't do much for the claims he may have made about "credible work" - he did work alongside Davis in Prince Caspian. But you may be right. Tyrion Lannister is setting himself up as more than just a dwarf. I personally am not sure whether having a "go to" anything is necessarily prejudicial. For example, Reggie Lee is the go-to Asian dude in most modern movies and shows (eg, he plays at least two characters in Pirates of the Caribbean). I'm just saying what I thought I saw :)

P.S - I am also a big Willow fan.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

Game of Thrones: see the Northern Ireland locations where it all happened

The Game of Thrones season finale may mean life feels a little empty but you can cheer yourself up with a trip to Northern Ireland and the dramatic locations where the series was filmed – plus those in Iceland, Croatia and Morocco.........

Web page to read and see more - http://www.guardian....game-of-thrones

My hubby tried to tell me they were filming the show in our own neck of the woods, I brushed it off thinking "Yea SURE ".. But turns out he was right... I guess they may draw in more tourists..*shrugs*

I have been to the location a number of times before....I have yet to watch the show..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Possibly, though he did play a dwarf directly opposite Davis in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (actually now that I think on it, I think it may have been Prince Caspian, the sequel). Either way, playing a fantasy dwarf alongside his competitor's fantasy dwarf doesn't do much for the claims he may have made about "credible work" - he did work alongside Davis in Prince Caspian. But you may be right. Tyrion Lannister is setting himself up as more than just a dwarf. I personally am not sure whether having a "go to" anything is necessarily prejudicial. For example, Reggie Lee is the go-to Asian dude in most modern movies and shows (eg, he plays at least two characters in Pirates of the Caribbean). I'm just saying what I thought I saw :)

P.S - I am also a big Willow fan.

If you look at his IMDb ,it says he was in it,but it was way into his career already ,and looks like his one of maybe two fantasy roles .

He plays a human 99% of the time,as per his IMDb .

Warwick plays a fantasy character 99% of the time .

I am going to need something else to watch now, until The Walking Dead & Game Of Thrones is back.. I might just do the re-runs and sit through them all again.

• Like 1

I am going to need something else to watch now, until The Walking Dead & Game Of Thrones is back.. I might just do the re-runs and sit through them all again.

Read the books!! though if you are not an avid reader, I think you should have a snip at them, I dont know but by the time you finish them it will nearly be 2014.

• Like 2

If you look at his IMDb ,it says he was in it,but it was way into his career already ,and looks like his one of maybe two fantasy roles .

He plays a human 99% of the time,as per his IMDb .

Warwick plays a fantasy character 99% of the time .

True enough, but it's also fair to point out that I recognise most of the movies on Warwick Davis' list, but the ones on Peter Dinklage's list are almost totally unknown to me. Of course, I am a fan of sci-fi and fantasy films, which generally include "non-human" characters.
  • Like 1

Robert Baratheon was alone in his worry about what could be 20,000 Dothraki screamers invading the seven kingdoms and holing up its Lords in their high castle walls after slaughtering everyone within reach on the open ground. Even he had no idea how much worse it could actually get. Neither freed Meereen slaves nor Astaporian Unsullied nor Essosi dragons fear the black salt water.

• Like 2

Robert Baratheon was alone in his worry about what could be 20,000 Dothraki screamers invading the seven kingdoms and holing up its Lords in their high castle walls after slaughtering everyone within reach on the open ground. Even he had no idea how much worse it could actually get. Neither freed Meereen slaves nor Astaporian Unsullied nor Essosi dragons fear the black salt water.

So many directions this story can go but I can see it ending with something like you suggest. Imagine a gutted westeros, weakend by internecine wars, starved during a long winter after the crops were destroyed in said wars and then the cringing populace decimated by the white walkers. Finally spring arrives and you look up and see three dragons led by an angry blonde empress flying at the head of an army of thousands. I have no idea at all where we are headed but ....

• Like 3

"A bear there was, a bear, a bear!

All black and brown, and covered with hair!

Oh, come, they said, oh come to the fair!

The fair? Said he, but I'm a bear!

All black, and brown, and covered with hair!

And down the road from here to there.

From here! To there!

Three boys, a goat, and a dancing bear!

They danced and spun, all the way to the fair!

Oh, sweet she was, and pure, and fair!

The maid with honey,

In her hair! Her hair!

The maid with honey in her hair!

He smelled the scent on the summer air!

The bear! The bear!

All black and brown and covered with hair!

He smelled the scent on the summer air!

He sniffed and roared and smelled it there!

Honey on the summer air!

Oh, I'm a maid, and I'm pure and fair!

I'll never dance with a hairy bear!

A bear! A bear!

I'll never dance with a hairy bear!

He lifted her high into the air!

The bear! The bear!

I called for a knight, but you're a bear!

A bear! A bear!

All black and brown and covered with hair!

She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,

But he licked the honey from her hair!

Her hair! Her hair!

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!

My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!

And off they went, from here to there,

The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair."

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned