Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overdueleaf

mothman sightings and the bridge collapse

7 posts in this topic

While in chat we were having a discussion about the mothman.. and we wondered what it was that made people believe the sightenings were connected to the bridge collapse?(seeing how some sightenings were reported a year in advance and some more than 60 miles away from PP) We have all heard how his sightening was a forewarning to impending danger.. but why was it deemed so? What evidence surrounding the happenings in Point Pleasent leads us to believe that it was a benevolent being whose only mission was to warn us? (frankly i could think of better ways to warn that to pop out of the darkness with big red glowing eyes and scaring someone.. a nicely printed sign would have sufficed).. anyways just some food for though would love to hear ideas.

1 person likes this

I live about 45 miles from Point Pleasant and am old enough to remember both the mothman sightings and the bridge collapse. For a long time previous to the mothman stories anything bad was attributed to the curse of Chief Cornstalk, who had been murdered there. A local teenager with a gas mask claimed to be the origin of the mothman stories, having peered through the window of a car and scared some ladies and hysteria took its course and mothman was seen everywhere, including my town of Saint Albans. As legends do, it grew piece by piece. The fact that the town realized it could get some tourist revenue from the notoriety only fanned the flames. There is nothing to connect mothman to the bridge other than speculation. Now there is a small museum dedicated to the mothman and a statue in downtown Point Pleasant. There is no historical record of Cornstalk's curse, just local legend.

So you watched the movie?

Scary sightings of a flying creature with burning red eyes before a major event yes of course they'd connect the two why that is not sure but they were both horrifying things that occured.

While in chat we were having a discussion about the mothman.. and we wondered what it was that made people believe the sightenings were connected to the bridge collapse?(seeing how some sightenings were reported a year in advance and some more than 60 miles away from PP) We have all heard how his sightening was a forewarning to impending danger.. but why was it deemed so? What evidence surrounding the happenings in Point Pleasent leads us to believe that it was a benevolent being whose only mission was to warn us? (frankly i could think of better ways to warn that to pop out of the darkness with big red glowing eyes and scaring someone.. a nicely printed sign would have sufficed).. anyways just some food for though would love to hear ideas.

There are other posts around here that delve into it more deeply, but the simple answer is that the Mothman/Bridge connection was a post hoc creation by the guys writing the books.

You are correct in saying that the sightings were more than a year before the bridge collapse and several were many miles away. It's also interesting to point out that there are only about 6 documented sightings and most of those are of the "I saw a shadow outside my window" variety.

1 person likes this

The best explanation is that John Kiel went to Point Pleasant to investigate reports of this Mothman but he found nothing to investigate, just a bunch of sketchy reports. He used them as a starting point for his book and fabricated the UFO's, the abductions, the alien pregnancies, the Men in Black, and other elements that have made it a classic UFO novel. Once the bridge collapsed, he knew he had a climax that tied everything together.

I saw the movie and I honestly don't remember a single thing about it other than I thought they just bought the title and wrote a completely unrelated screen play. Some of the stories in the book would have been terrifying on the big screen.

The bridge was in bad shape needed repairs. Nothing about Mothman was every found no proof. I believe in more of the Chief Cornstalk theory. The movie really sucked badly.