Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY's stop and frisk policy challenged

Ashotep

A landmark trial challenging the New York police department’s controversial stop-and-frisk policy began in a lower Manhattan court on Monday.

The class action suit accuses the NYPD of violating the constitutional rights of hundreds of thousands of innocent New Yorkers on a widespread and systemic basis.

NYPD faces class-action lawsuit over controversial stop-and-frisk policy

I'm glad they are challenging this. It always reminded me of what was going on in Germany before WWII.

• Like 4

I've never heard of this. What exactly is it? They just stop random ppl on the street and frisk them?

I've never heard of this. What exactly is it? They just stop random ppl on the street and frisk them?

Yes, Stellar.

In New York, you can be stopped by the police and be frisked.

Stop-and-Frisk Campaign: About the Issue

The NYPD’s stop-and-frisk practices raise serious concerns over racial profiling, illegal stops and privacy rights. The Department’s own reports on its stop-and-frisk activity confirm what many people in communities of color across the city have long known: The police are stopping hundreds of thousands of law abiding New Yorkers every year, and the vast majority are black and Latino.

An analysis by the NYCLU revealed that innocent New Yorkers have been subjected to police stops and street interrogations more than 4 million times since 2002, and that black and Latino communities continue to be the overwhelming target of these tactics. Nearly nine out of 10 stopped-and-frisked New Yorkers have been completely innocent, according to the NYPD’s own reports.

Glad I live in Texas and not anywhere near New York City....

• Like 2

Yes, Stellar.

In New York, you can be stopped by the police and be frisked.

Glad I live in Texas and not anywhere near New York City....

As in: for no reason? Arbitrarily?

They DON'T have to have a reason. Seriously.

It really is crazy, and I don't understand why it has taken so long for this law to be challenged. It's COMPLETELY against a person's constitutional rights!

• Like 3

It really is crazy, and I don't understand why it has taken so long for this law to be challenged. It's COMPLETELY against a person's constitutional rights!

Good thing it is being challenged then.

• Like 2

i live in nyc, never been stopped and frisked. maybe cuz i don't look like crackhead\hoodlum\gangster. cuz that is who they stop,99 out of 100 times, ppl that they arrest daily, cops know their customers.

if you notice it is "civil right activists" like al shapron, and the likes who scream rasicm, they don't question the policy cuz it is ineffective, but hey, cops did conficate few guns during those stops. gunhaters should love that.

the fact is even without such policy cops could stop anyone that want to, they can always find reasonable couse. and judge will believe cops before anyone else. this is just another reason for al shapron and alikes to scream rasicm and claim another way of oppression by white man.

I think its about time it was challenged too and glad I don't live in NY. This is the same people that wanted large sodas banned.

• Like 2

i live in nyc, never been stopped and frisked. maybe cuz i don't look like crackhead\hoodlum\gangster. cuz that is who they stop,99 out of 100 times, ppl that they arrest daily, cops know their customers.

if you notice it is "civil right activists" like al shapron, and the likes who scream rasicm, they don't question the policy cuz it is ineffective, but hey, cops did conficate few guns during those stops. gunhaters should love that.

the fact is even without such policy cops could stop anyone that want to, they can always find reasonable couse. and judge will believe cops before anyone else. this is just another reason for al shapron and alikes to scream rasicm and claim another way of oppression by white man.

I'm guessing you are white then because they haven't been harassing white people as much.

I don't know why they would assume the cop is the one telling the truth. Look how many have been caught setting people up.

• Like 4

I don't know why they would assume the cop is the one telling the truth. Look how many have been caught setting people up.

good question, welcome to the real world.

• Like 3

I read an article the other they just celebrated there 1millionth stop and frisk.

• Like 2

As in: for no reason? Arbitrarily?

Your chances are much greater if you are young, black or Hispanic.

• Like 4

Your chances are much greater if you are young, black or Hispanic.

well yea, the city is dominated by black and hispanic gangs, so it is only logical , they would be the customers.i work with blacks and hispanics, that never been frisked or stopped, they just don't look like ppl that couse problems. it isn't as much about color, but reality of life. believe me there are blacks and hispanics in nyc that never been arrested.

Edited by aztek

I agree aztek it does probably have more to do with the way they dress or attitude. But it does seem like it is mostly minorities but who knows the officers might of been a member of a minority group also. Since I don't live in NY I really can't judge if they are targeting minorities or not. It still bothers me that they can just do this for no reason.

I would give you a like but I have used up my quota for the day, been on here a lot today.

I've only been to New York once back in 2005, I walked the streets fine and wasn't harassed by anyone but the crazy people. I never intend to go back though, I felt like I lost a few years of my life just from breathing the air in that city.

• Like 2

I find it hard to believe they'll stop and frisk any and every person that so happens to cross their path. I do believe they'll stop and frisk anyone they find suspicious, which isn't out of the ordinary for a cop of any jurisdiction to do. They tend to flaunt their "above the law" privileges at most times.

I'm not a citizen of NY, though. So I can't really say for sure.

• Like 1

I'd be out of my state in a heartbeat if they tried that **** here.

It isnt in the whole state, just in the city. There are parts of the city that have become a total police state. I live about an hour outside the city, and I stay as far away from that place as possible.

• Like 3

It isnt in the whole state, just in the city. There are parts of the city that have become a total police state. I live about an hour outside the city, and I stay as far away from that place as possible.

I can't blame you for that. Sounds like the constitution got thrown out the window there.
  • Like 2

Here's an update on this. Two officers have testified, its not good.

Officer Adhyl Polanco began his testimony Tuesday by saying “there’s a difference between” the department’s policies on paper and “what goes on out there”, on the city’s streets.

Polanco testified that in 2009, officers in his Bronx precinct were expected to issue 20 summons and make one arrest per month. If they did not they would risk denied vacation, being separated from longtime partners, undesirable assignments and other consequences.

Polcano claimed it was not uncommon for patrol officers who were not making quotas to be forced to “drive the sergeant” or “drive the supervisor”, which meant driving around with a senior officer who would find individuals for the patrol officer to arrest or issue a summons to, at times for infractions the junior officer did not observe.

Officer testifies stop-and-frisk program motivated by quotas and race

• Like 3

It indeed is a violation of the Constitution. Their civil rights are violated when they are stopped and frisked because of their ages and ethnicities. It's one spoke on a wheel of statist actions. It reminds me of driving-while-Black road stops. I hope and pray that Americans avoid and ignore the non-stop conversation on race and look at the big picture. Americans of all races are living in a country that is losing freedom by the day. We need to come together as libertarians. When one person's rights are violated, all people's rights are violated.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of racial agitators like Jackson and Sharpton. I'm also not a fan of anti-majority propaganda, as well as antiquated programs like affirmative action. However, this stop-and-frisk policy smacks of prejudice based on age, as well as race. You could throw gender in there too. In essence, the police are *judging* young Black and Latin American males in a pre-determined manner. They have no cause to seize them. They have no cause to search them. They're unjustly considered to be potential criminals due to their physical characteristics.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you are white then because they haven't been harassing white people as much.

There are great law enforcement officers, some of whom are heroic examples to the rest of us. Sadly, too many other police coerce and frame people (of all races) more than people realize. Some cops look for any reason to harass ordinary people. It's hard to deny this when it happens to you.

• Like 1

When the number of blacks and hispanics is roughly half of the total population, with the other half being made up of multiple ethnicities (basically, there are more of them than any other group) it's not difficult to see that they would have a higher number of people being illegally stopped. And it doesn't have to have anything to do with racism, it's pure numbers.

Now, stopping anyone, for any reason other than actual probably cause is bs. But, to claim racism when it most likely isn't is just ignorant.