Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Passenger Pigeon Back from Extinction Plans

3 posts in this topic

Twelve birds lie belly-up in a wooden drawer at the Berkeley Museum of Vertebrate Zoology. Bloated with stuffing, their ruddy brown chests resemble a row of sweet potatoes. Slate-blue heads and thin white tails protrude in perfect alignment, except for one bird that cranes its neck to face its neighbor. A pea-sized bulge of white cotton sits where its eye should be. A slip of paper tied to its foot reads, “Ectopistes migratorius. Manitoba. 1884.” This is the passenger pigeon, once the most abundant bird in North America. When Europeans first landed on the continent, they encountered billions of the birds. By 1914 they were extinct.

That may be about to change. Today scientists are meeting in Washington, D.C. to discuss a plan to bring the passenger pigeon back from extinction.

http://www.wired.com...-de-extinction/

The passenger pigeon went extinct on my birthday. I have much sympathy for the pp.

Posted (edited)

I read once years ago about just how many passenger pigeons there were when westerners first immigrated to America (aloooot would be putting it mildly)....I'm not so sure bringing them back would be too great. Unless you like everything to be covered in poop that is, in which case bring em back.

I think they shot as many as they could for a reason.

Edited by OverSword