Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephant Seal Stops Traffic In Brazil City

Commander CMG

A massive elephant seal, estimated to weigh more than half a tonne, blocked a busy street in a Brazilian city after deciding to go for an impromptu stroll.

The animal stopped traffic for more than an hour in the beach city of Balneario Camboriu in the southern state of Santa Catarina.

The 9.8ft seal waddled out of the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday afternoon and headed up the beach straight for the busy Avenida Atlantica.

Read More

• Like 3

I wouldn't call what seals do "strolling" exactly. LOL But geez is that thing HUGE!!! And he certainly doesn't like people telling him to go home. :P Okay after reading the little blurb with the video, I'd say waddling is more of what they do. :tu:

Well you don't see that every day.

Imagine telling your boss why you were late for work. :w00t:

Wouldn't you just love to use it though.

HAHA cute, I'm glad he made it back to the sea safely :)

• Like 1

I love how he used the pedestrian crossing I can just picture him yelling at the person who tried to move him along "It's a pedestrian crossing, I gotta green light, back off"

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 4

I would stop for it too. Just don't see something like that everyday.

• Like 1

I would stop for it too. Just don't see something like that everyday.

A 9-8ft seal weighing more than half a ton... You bet your life you would stop for it. :yes:

I love the way the pedestrian is walking just by the side of it, as if this is just the norm!!

• Like 1

A kodak moment, that's for sure. ;) Love it!

I realize seals of all types are used to going over rocks and such, but I hope the poor elephant seal didn't get "road rash" during his "outing" on the abrasive city road.

In times past, this would NOT have been a spectacle at all. The people would have killed it for it's meat and blubber. Lucky seal.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

Pffft, we see these every day on the beach near our home, they're called "tourists". Usually whiter though.

• Like 2

dude why does some of the good and funny stuff happen in other places in the world?that is funny LOL the seal doing that i gotta give him/her props for that.and the firefighters that's messed up and sad he just want a break and decided to go for a stroll LOL.if i was that seal i would have open a can of you know what on the firefighters for spraying water on me.

Nah, he's gotta keep hydrated so there's nothing wrong with spraying him. And I'm sure that keeping him wet also prevented the "road-rash" pallidin was describing.

• Like 2

Imagine telling your boss why you were late for work. :w00t:

Guy: "Sir, uh, sorry for being late to work but I have a good excuse. There was an elephant in the middle of the road."