Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Xbox 720 XDK confirms mandatory game installs

ExpandMyMind

I asked my brother (see above posts) and he refused to break confidence. Not a good sign.

Possibly doesn't mean anything.

People working on new projects for tech companies are typically sworn to secrecy on pain of losing their jobs. It's also possible that he's not saying anything because Microsoft haven't finalised anything yet and he doesn't want to mislead you with the current state of affairs of a project not officially anounced yet which are prone to change.

Edited by Archimedes

PC is the way to go.

PC is the way to go for certain gamers.

Most gamers don't want the hassle or expense of upgrading hardware, manually updating drivers, etc. to get their new games working. They don't want to have to read system specs and then realise they can't play the game or that their PC barely meets the specs and the game will run like a dog without buying and installing a new graphics card.

For all the advantages of PC gaming (a PC with decent graphics hardware will outstrip a games console in capabilities, especially when the console has been on the market for years and is still running the same old hardware that has moved on in the PC world), there's a lot to be said for buying a game, putting it in your console

I did the whole build your own PC, upgrade it, etc. thing for several years and I got bored and fed up with it and bought an Xbox 360. I felt it wasn't worth it anymore. I paid €400 for it 7 years ago and it would have cost me a hell of a lot more money and fiddling to do continue PC gaming in the meantime.

If you're into the whole PC gaming thing, then that's fine, but it's not the way to go. It depends on many factors. I do miss the finer control a mouse gives you, but I don't play FPS games anymore where that is where the real advantage of a mouse and keyboard combo is.

Possibly doesn't mean anything.

People working on new projects for tech companies are typically sworn to secrecy on pain of losing their jobs. It's also possible that he's not saying anything because Microsoft haven't finalised anything yet and he doesn't want to mislead you with the current state of affairs of a project not officially anounced yet which are prone to change.

It may have been one or all of those reasons or it may have been revenge for beating him up for years.

It may have been one or all of those reasons or it may have been revenge for beating him up for years.

lol, somehow it always comes back in some way or another.

PC is the way to go for certain gamers.

Most gamers don't want the hassle or expense of upgrading hardware, manually updating drivers, etc. to get their new games working.

Indeed. The way I view it:

PC - initial outlay - $2000+, shelf life - less than a year before upgrades are needed to keep pace with the industry, continuous outlay of money.

Games console - initial outlay $500 ($800 if you buy it straight off the rack on the day of release). Shelf life - 8 years or more.

• Like 1

I already told my kid to get used to his XBox 360 games if this is this case Im not buying.

Hope they realize it isnt a gopod business model for them. Itll go down like windows8

I'll buy it, regardless of how they do it. Cuz, I'm addicted to Halo games, and that is going to be the only place I'll be able to get my fix.

I used to be a PC Gamer, but got tired of the constant upgrade need.

• Like 1

Well if it's true, then I'll be saying goodbye to games for good. I need to get in shape anyway.

Let me get this right. This means:

• No game trade ins.
  • No second hand game purchases.
  • No swapping games with friend.
  • No borrwoing a friends game.

Is this correct or did I read the article wrong?

Let me get this right. This means:

• No game trade ins.
  • No second hand game purchases.
  • No swapping games with friend.
  • No borrwoing a friends game.

Is this correct or did I read the article wrong?

As far as I can tell, that's the case.

I think it's still a quite a bit of conjecture there. The internet connection may have to be present, but the 2nd hand game thing is still just an assumption.

I'll buy it, regardless of how they do it. Cuz, I'm addicted to Halo games, and that is going to be the only place I'll be able to get my fix.

I used to be a PC Gamer, but got tired of the constant upgrade need.

I agree with the part about halo ahaha addicted as well, but we part ways at the pc.I would never have wasted a dime on 'upgrading' it when i can spend one definite amount (console prices) and never have to deal with any annoyances trying to play a newly purchased game

• Like 1

I have been a gamer for a looooong time. In fact, we had 'pong' when I was a kid. I've gone through just about ever major incarnation. Atari, NES, Sega Genesis, etc. I discovered PC Gaming when I first got into computers in the early 90's. Back then, if you wanted top notch games and graphics, the PC was the only place to get it....

It really wasn't until the XBOX came out (2001 I think) that consoles really started to give PC Games a run for their money. Now the systems are so easy, powerful, and versitile, the only thing I use the PC for nowadays is web-surfing.

In almost everything, the console just does it better (and overall VASTLY cheaper). Although, I really wish there were more RTS games for the console. I'd love to play StarCraft 2, but there is no way I'm buying a swanky new computer to do so.

I have been a gamer for a looooong time. In fact, we had 'pong' when I was a kid. I've gone through just about ever major incarnation. Atari, NES, Sega Genesis, etc. I discovered PC Gaming when I first got into computers in the early 90's. Back then, if you wanted top notch games and graphics, the PC was the only place to get it....

It really wasn't until the XBOX came out (2001 I think) that consoles really started to give PC Games a run for their money. Now the systems are so easy, powerful, and versitile, the only thing I use the PC for nowadays is web-surfing.

In almost everything, the console just does it better (and overall VASTLY cheaper). Although, I really wish there were more RTS games for the console. I'd love to play StarCraft 2, but there is no way I'm buying a swanky new computer to do so.

Ah yes i agree with you there, i myself enjoy a well thought out,button mapped RTS but the good ones are few and far between for consoles >_< Halo Wars seemed to be on the right track IMO