Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK's coldest spring since 1963 claims 5,000

Commander CMG

• 2,000 extra deaths registered in just the first two weeks of March
  • And for February, 3,057 extra deaths registered in England and Wales
  • Campaigners warn weather could prove deadly for thousands more
  • Power cuts and travel disruption expected to continue today
  • Up to an inch of snow fallen across parts of England and Scotland overnight

arrow3.gifView: Read more:

That was a bad winter,but 1947 was worse,snow 3 feet deep for 5 weeksand we still went to school.

• Like 1

The weather is being wierd. It's raining here in Vietnam and this is the dry season -- ain't supposed to get a drop until at least May.

The weather is being wierd. It's raining here in Vietnam and this is the dry season -- ain't supposed to get a drop until at least May.

Its been raining here for a week non stop, temp 3c daytime, --6c at night.

Had awful snow up here in Leeds. About 30cm fell from Friday lunch time to Saturday lunch time. Finally stopped snowing about 2pm on Saturday but now the snow on the pavements is just compacted in to solid ice, so dangerous for people getting out and about. Main roads are slushy but passable, side roads as so icy and people are getting stuck in the ice all over.

That's global warming for you.

Not only that, but a groundhog in America is being sued by a punter because the groundhog predicted an early spring. Yet the groundhog could not be more wrong as America, like Britain, still freezes in an unusually long winter.

Of course, the more sensible amongst us know that the world is getting COOLER, and has been since 1998.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

It was dry as a bone for most of January and the whole of February and then the first day of rain was enough to cause widespread flooding across the country.

Temperature has been up and down from hot for the season to painfully cold.

Weather sure is weird out here in the wild west.

Br Cornelius

years back people would use their log burners, now the old have the electric or gas and today many just can not afford the costs.

• Like 2

That was a bad winter,but 1947 was worse,snow 3 feet deep for 5 weeksand we still went to school.

Aye Spud! My mum was telling me about the 1947 winter only the other day. She told me 'it was so cold that she sat in class with her coat, hat and gloves on'.

• Like 1

and wearing shorts. :w00t:

• Like 4

Its the end of march its Autumn (fall) here in Australia yet its still in the 30s (80s-90s) in most places. Also its the driest march on record in many places and warmest I think. I think it will be a late long winter for us down here. It will be cold but little rain.

Here in Vietnam we are having a daily thunderstorm during the middle of the dry season. Still I hear of drought up in the coffee areas in the mountains. I don't know if there is anything to be made of it beyond chaotic variation.

Aye Spud! My mum was telling me about the 1947 winter only the other day. She told me 'it was so cold that she sat in class with her coat, hat and gloves on'.

The Sea froze up to 10 yds from the beach.Temp - 15c at midday.No Sun for about 3 weeks consecutive.All sevices suspended.(The Good Old Days haha),and catastrophy,the local shop ran out of sweets.
  • Like 1

Its the end of march its Autumn (fall) here in Australia yet its still in the 30s (80s-90s) in most places. Also its the driest march on record in many places and warmest I think. I think it will be a late long winter for us down here. It will be cold but little rain.

A lot of people in Oz never seen snow apart from on the News.

years back people would use their log burners, now the old have the electric or gas and today many just can not afford the costs.

A big issue on the Canal Boat is condensation,its getting under the floorboards and has to be pumped out,BIG Problem.

The Ducks are having a big problem landing on the iced over lake.Feed the Birds people or they will die through lack of insects,and its getting towards egg laying season.If they die we are going to have a nasty insect summer.

• Like 1

Last spring at this time it was unusually hot and dry. This spring is cold and rainy even a little snow. I think January was warmer. The weather seems so messed up anymore.

Ah now you have something to tall-tell your grandkids about. The spring of '13.

In the paper it says that this Easter is expected to be the coldest on record, with temperatures plummeting to -15 in some places.

So where are all the theorists on "the earth is warming up" ? its gone quiet around here.

So where are all the theorists on "the earth is warming up" ? its gone quiet around here.

I didn't want to drag this into another climate change denial thread (its been done elsewhere as we speak), but cold snaps which are atypical are strong evidence for climate change just as heat waves are.

Br Cornelius

I didn't want to drag this into another climate change denial thread (its been done elsewhere as we speak), but cold snaps which are atypical are strong evidence for climate change just as heat waves are.

Br Cornelius

And the key premise in climate change is that the climate will become warmer. (i also don't want another climate alarmist thread)

Down under we are having a serious drought. One day of rain in the last two months. Temperatures have been above 25oc for the past 4 months. It reminds me of the endless summers of my childhood that streched into April (like back in 92).

And the key premise in climate change is that the climate will become warmer. (i also don't want another climate alarmist thread)

Down under we are having a serious drought. One day of rain in the last two months. Temperatures have been above 25oc for the past 4 months. It reminds me of the endless summers of my childhood that streched into April (like back in 92).

The mean temperature will become warmer and cause local climate regimes to shift (colder or warmer). There are very good reasons why a warmer planet can cause cooling in Northern Europe.

Br Cornelius