Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The book 'Missing 411-by David Paulides'

jjblondee

The book called 'Missing 411 - by David Paulides' is of interest to me. I would like to read it and compare what facts he has put in it, BUT all the online bookstores either do not carry it, sold out, or such as Amazon online want a whopping price of $236.00 or more upto $715.00! Is this true? He wants this much? I have never heard of book being that terribly outrageously expensiveT in the interest of cryptids. Not even were my college text books that spendy and I was in nursing. Does anyone have more information on this book? Thank you, jj

• Like 5

*snip*

Took me 2mins to find it on eBay for £27

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

I detect the terrible stench of webspam ....

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

crap i just referenced this book on another related thread. anything that vanishes and disappears is music to my ears. ive yet to read it but definitely will.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I am also greatly interested in strange vanishings. I first learnt about the book Missing 411 from this forum, and this weekend got a chance to listen to the Coast to Coast AM interview with David Paulides on YouTube. I'll try and buy the book soon.

I must say, I am really intrigued by the premise of this book. What I really like is that all the cases in the book are supposedly real, genuine cases. The people really did go missing (some were later found). I suppose one could verify most of the missing cases through a Google search. Therefore all the cases provide a genuine mystery.

What I didn't like was the David Paulides wrote two books on Big Foot before writing this book. Indeed, as many have mentioned, Big Foot seems to be presented as a potential reason these people go missing. I think this is just ridiculous. Big Foot, a creature never proven to even exist, cannot possible be thought of as an explanation. To his credit, Paulides never proposes an expalantion for the missing people - he just gives the incredible circumstances of the case. This is what really attracts me to this book - it is a collection of genuine cases with no explanation - and nothing anyone says can in any way dimish this.

One of the cases mentioned on the C2C AM show is that of Joe Wood Jr., a guy who was hiking up a mountain in 1999, and seemingly disappeared right under the eyes of the people he was climbing with. His body was never found. I searched the case on Google and found some more info, such as: http://www.alternet.org/story/1325/what_happened_to_joe_wood - this is a story from 2000. This is just one of the really interesting cases documented in this book.

I also researched a little on Paulides, who was once a police officer. Apparently, he doesn't have a clean record: http://bigfootevidence101.blogspot.com/2012/11/little-do-people-know-that-idiot-david.html - he was involved in some authograph-related crime. No biggie though - I don't think it makes any difference to the facts of the book.

Again, the only thing that irks me is the association of this book with Big Foot. These are genuine and very unusual missing persons cases, and they shouldn't be explained using some cryptid of which no real definitive proof has ever surfaced regarding its existence. Why the hell would Big Foot kidnap little kids who can't speak yet, only to return them some time later, as happened in some of the cases in the book?

• Like 5

I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread yet or if it fits with the criteria outlined in the book but the Dyatlov Pass Incident is certainly mysterious. There are a few web pages dedicated to the mystery of of nine ski hikers who were found dead on a camping trip that has yet to be explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was once working on a policemans house..and we got talking about UFOs etc and he said to me that there are so many cases of people just disappearing that its scary..He even said when they investigate it there is no proof of murder etc..they are regular people that just vanish

I'm in the process of reading Missing 411 Eastern, as mentioned, the fact the David Paulides was initially a Bigfoot researcher put me off a little, but none of that is reflected in the books (so far) which is great. All of the stories are genuinely mysterious, and he leaves you to make your own conclusions as to what has happened to all of these people.

The circumstances surrounding all of the disappearances is spooky to say the least, even if these aren't related to anything otherwordly.

If you can, grab a copy and read it. I'm going to finish mine this weekend up in the mountains, out in the forest to really get the full effect.

Edited by KALASH69
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I've listened twice to each of the 4-hour Paulides interviews with George Knapp (an award-winning investigative journalist). I'm a true crime buff with a long-standing interest in missing persons' cases, so Paulides work in these cases fascinates me.

I like the way he and his research team have carefully eliminated any cases that might have another explanation, such as an attack by a wild animal or a death by drowning. They've definitely pared the cases down to those that make no immediate logical sense, such as 2-year-olds being found barefoot 12 miles from and several mountain ridges away from where they disappeared or a 15-year-old in plain view of about 8 people simply vanishing.

I'll concede a FEW cases have details that could make the reader/listener think Bigfoot, especially given DP's prior research. I'm thinking for instance of the handful of cases where children recovered live reported cuddling with a bear, wolf, or big dog who fed them and eventually let them go.

But Paulides maintains his objectivity and allows the reader/listener to speculate about these cases. They aren't all easily answered by Bigfoot, serial killer, giant bird, UFO, random criminal, mountain lion, or any other explanation I can see right now.

And where are the boots????

• Like 1

Prices on Amazon for just about anything tend to fluctuate. There was a book I wanted to get for a friend for his birthday and when I first looked it up on Amazon, it was over $200. This was at the beginning of the summer. By the time his birthday rolled around (beginning of this month) and I needed to buy it, I found a copy on Amazon for $30.

• 4 weeks later...

I own one of the books and I have listened to all his interviews. I remember in one case, I think it was Dennis Martin. That people witnessed some sort of man carrying what looked like a child on its back in the woods. Paulides talks about how in that case he was told by a park worker that there are people who move into national parks to live off the grid and they are not always mentally stable. The parks deny this, because they don't want to be held liable for what may happen because of these people. They also don't want to be responsible for getting rid of them.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested: Paulides will be a guest on Coast again, Tomorrow, Monday 3/10/14. This time hosted by Noory rather than Knapp, so I'm not expecting much. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Its worth looking at this link I posted on another thread,a reviewer on amazon tears apart Paulides and his theories

http://www.amazon.com/review/R17M0AXEMAG3HT/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&asin=1466216298&cdForum=Fx2MIS8UQC4IFMY&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx25GXIYGHL42A9&store=books#w

Its worth looking at this link I posted on another thread,a reviewer on amazon tears apart Paulides and his theories

http://www.amazon.com/review/R17M0AXEMAG3HT/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&asin=1466216298&cdForum=Fx2MIS8UQC4IFMY&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx25GXIYGHL42A9&store=books#w

The writer of this Amazon review showed up on a message board I belong to not long after Paulides was interviewed by George Knapp on C2C. Based on my interaction with him there and my observations of what he's written, I can only say (IMNSHO) that he is the one who takes inaccurate cherry-picked ideas and twists them for his own agenda.

Despite my misgivings re Noory as host, I listened to the Monday Paulides interview, so I've heard now 5 hours on Coast and several more on another radio interview or two.

Each time, Paulides has absolutely BALKED at taking any position re the cause for the disappearances and has maintained that he and his researchers refuse to do more than collect and present data. In fact, on Monday, Noory was literally drooling and chomping at the bit attempting to push Paulides into claiming any theory possible, even putting words in Paulides' mouth about some crazy demonic theory Noory had proposed. Paulides dug his heels in and refused for about the 20th time in the interview (okay, maybe the 4th, but Noory was ticking me off) to be bullied into saying, "THIS explains the disappearances."

So much for the reviewer's claim that Paulides is trying to market the idea that Bigfoot is taking the people who have disappeared. Apparently the reviewer can't distinguish between the facts of the Dennis Martin case and the details relayed to authorities by the Key family and the mistaken claim that Paulides somehow extrapolates a single witness report into an agenda-driven explanation for upward to 1,000 disappearances.

The charge re paradoxical undressing is just silly. Paulides addresses this, giving examples of cases where clothing was removed w/in yards of the point last seen in temperatures above any danger of hypothermia. The reviewer should know. As someone who claims SAR experience, that paradoxical undressing occurs as a result of the **final stages** of hypothermia, not as a result of someone just feeling cold and stripping off clothing because of some kind of mental delusion--there's a physiological cause tied to that final stage of hypothermia just prior to death.

Last, while cherry-picking in theory damages an argument, this reviewer fails to explain how Paulides and his researchers can be cherry-picking when their goal has been to collect data on ALL the disappearances in national park areas that cannot be explained by animal attacks, drownings, mere wandering off of children or elderly, typical outdoor injuries leading to death, etc. It is not cherry-picking to exclude from the data collection cases which have other explanations, nor is it cherry picking to include cases which the reviewer "thinks" "could" be explained in some way, a la his rant on the Martin case.

Interacting with this guy on the message board, I and others felt he gave the impression of being an angry SAR person who for some reason felt that Paulides was knocking SAR personnel for not doing enough (given some of his comments). That was odd, considering Paulides appears to have a good working relationship with SAR in general.

Just wanted to provide more context for this review and let readers make up their own minds. What precedes is my opinion only.

• Like 6

Quick correction and addition to my above ^^^^ post:

1). I listened to 2 4-hour Knapp interviews and 1 3-hour Noory interview on Coast, so why I typed "5" is a keyboard mystery. Dog in my lap?

2). Forgot to add that in the one case the specter of Bigfoot appears most prominent, i.e., the Martin case where the Key family reported a Bear-like, man-like figure carrying something over its shoulder, Paulides says there had apparently been reports in that area, accurate or not, of "wild men" living off the land in the forest. He was talking about off-off-the-grid types. If he had wanted to hype a Bigfoot angle, this would have been the case to do it, but he presented another possible explanation for what the Key family saw, which may have been unrelated to the Martin boy's MIA status.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can confirm that I bought it on his site and received it!

• 1 month later...

Do not read these books or watch the YouTube interviews before camping or hiking alone in the wilds. I now carry a firearm while doing so. And btw all four books now are great reads. Creeps me out so much I don't sleep for days.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.co...9&store=books#w

Yeah I really think that poster is one the cherry picking facts.

I would like to think that a police officer would be above being extremely biased and cherry picking data. The truth of the matter is that police aren't generally any less biased than anyone else. I absolutely believe that he is looking at the data through the lens of his big foot beliefs, and that's not good detective work.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to think that a police officer would be above being extremely biased and cherry picking data. The truth of the matter is that police aren't generally any less biased than anyone else. I absolutely believe that he is looking at the data through the lens of his big foot beliefs, and that's not good detective work.

Then why does he steadfastly refuse to state any theory of his own regarding the data he's collected? Even when morons like GN try to drag him kicking and screaming down the Bigfoot and/or alien paths?

I think you're way off-base here. The only picking and choosing he's done is the elimination of cases for which a reasonable, rational explanation could easily exist, such as disappearances right next to bodies of water (i.e. where river rapids might easily have swept bodies away) or those which suggest animal attacks. It makes perfect sense to exclude such cases from his data, IMO.

For those less skeptical of Paulides, he'll be on C2C this Sunday night for a new interview with (thankfully) George Knapp as host.

• Like 1

Chaos Rose

Ironically, Paulides just had another 4-hour interview with award-winning investigative reporter George Knapp on Sunday night's Coast2Coast. I had an early Monday appointment and fell asleep during the interview, but was lucky enough to find the full interview posted on YouTube.

You can search Davide Paulides on YouTube, and the March 22 episode should come up first, or at least early, in the list. I listened with a specific ear for any instances where Paulides put argued a theory, any theory, much less Bigfoot, for the data he's collected.

To the contrary, I heard him at several junctures make it clear he had no intention of venturing any conclusions about his data collection until and unless he could be absolutely positive he had THE answer. He spoke, quite eloquently I thought, about how some researchers get tunnel vision by more or less falling in love with a theory, reading all they can about that theory, and as Knapp either suggested or concurred (I forget which) seeking out detail to fit that narrative.

Paulides then went on to say his approach has been (regarding collateral reading) to broaden rather than to [/b] narrow his reading because it helps him learn and to keep his mind open to ideas he might not otherwise have seen as possibilities.

All this runs counter to your assertion about Paulides. I figured if you, yourself, wanted to keep an open mind you might want to listen to this interview. Enjoy.

• Like 3