Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The book 'Missing 411-by David Paulides'

jjblondee

58 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

I'm sure there is but any writer knows to carve down the narrative as well as how to bend it how they want it to go. (Not that I'm saying he does that, mind you. I just don't think every word is repeated everywhere and I'm sure there are reasons why that we are not privy to.)  But I've also noted he has been more than careful to NEVER promote a specific theory to explain any of these disappearances and I respect that. I realize he has connections with MUFON, and I think someone here mentioned Big Foot, although I didn't know about that one, but he still has never actually verbalized a specific theory he might have. And, truly, at this point he might not really have one. When I look back over events in my life I have no specific theories on what events might or might not have been, either.  Anyway, I sort of enjoy the stories for the story's sake. My mind might go off and go, "Hey, it might have been..."   but I never buy into any particular theory. I just find most of them pretty odd and enjoy them for the story's sake.

What I *did* find interesting was the little boy who went missing about a year ago and, after he was found alive and well, said a "bear" had helped him when he was lost.  Things that make you go "hmmm...".

BTW, love "necro-post".  That made me smile.  :)

He has been rather coy at it, and very slippery in that regard but he has whittled the first few books to fall in line with a bigfoot encounter type theory. Keep in mind his main area of work for the books was being a BF researcher. Now admittedly, his books have become more vague as he writes about urban disappearances but always there's hints at to what he's driving at. Willfully omitting facts on cases though makes him dishonest and  loses credibility with me for doing so.

39 minutes ago, Trelane said:

He has been rather coy at it, and very slippery in that regard but he has whittled the first few books to fall in line with a bigfoot encounter type theory. Keep in mind his main area of work for the books was being a BF researcher. Now admittedly, his books have become more vague as he writes about urban disappearances but always there's hints at to what he's driving at. Willfully omitting facts on cases though makes him dishonest and  loses credibility with me for doing so.

I would have to hear his reasoning for what he included and what he omitted from reports to see if I believed his reports were intentionally biased.  But, honest to god, I always thought he was eluding to alien abduction, I kid you not.  At least until the BF-like thing carrying something (kid) on its shoulder.  Still, take all that out of it and you still have thousands of missing person cases with little resolution or the very odd conditions of the found bodies.  We can assign whatever explanations that make us comfortable but it sure is fascinating, nonetheless.

Let me add that I sometimes do some minor sleuthing with NamUs and missing persons/unidentified bodies so I have a fascination with the subject. That might be what keeps me more interested than the average reader while being able to filter out the more paranormal ideas.

Edited by ScotDeerie

37 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

I would have to hear his reasoning for what he included and what he omitted from reports to see if I believed his reports were intentionally biased.  But, honest to god, I always thought he was eluding to alien abduction, I kid you not.  At least until the BF-like thing carrying something (kid) on its shoulder.  Still, take all that out of it and you still have thousands of missing person cases with little resolution or the very odd conditions of the found bodies.  We can assign whatever explanations that make us comfortable but it sure is fascinating, nonetheless.

Let me add that I sometimes do some minor sleuthing with NamUs and missing persons/unidentified bodies so I have a fascination with the subject. That might be what keeps me more interested than the average reader while being able to filter out the more paranormal ideas.

Well more recently he has turned the insinuations towards alien abductions, but initially there he very thinly alluded to BF. The cases individually become less mysterious when all facts are included and considered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Well more recently he has turned the insinuations towards alien abductions, but initially there he very thinly alluded to BF. The cases individually become less mysterious when all facts are included and considered.

It's the sheer quantity that fascinate me even though I understand the vast amount of acreage under consideration.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2013 at 3:57 AM, darkmoonlady said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread yet or if it fits with the criteria outlined in the book but the Dyatlov Pass Incident is certainly mysterious. There are a few web pages dedicated to the mystery of of nine ski hikers who were found dead on a camping trip that has yet to be explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Here is a link to the forum UM has on the Dyatlov Pass Incident LINK.  Come have a look, there are over 400 entries presently.

I got in touch with Paulides and quizzed him about alternative hypotheses.  He didn't like it.  The one I touted was specifically that of foreign agents operating in the USA using the abduction or elimination of US citizens by way of keeping their special forces training current.  Clearly commando groups are more than capable of abducting people so they are never seen again.  There are numerous potential ways they can be removed from an area and reinstated later without detection by such groups too.  I would point out that people over a certain age don't survive these encounters. 

As to why the US Government is unwilling to discuss the matter or release the information readily?  It should be obvious.  The fact is that technically, deaths and disappearances that occur in national parks fall under the legal ambit of responsibility of various US Jurisdictions, but primarily with the US Federal Government.  If the parks are proven to be unsafe, it is the US Government that potentially bears responsibility and will have to pay out.  Needless to say, given their legal liability in the matter of disappearances and deaths in national parks, is it really surprising that the US Government isn't crazy about handing out info?  Personally I like US National Parks a lot.  I don't know where people would go to hide bodies without them. I have to question how often people have gone looking for a missing 411 and wound up discovering someone esle's body.  It didn't come up in the literature.

Edited by Alchopwn

On 3/27/2013 at 8:52 PM, Eldorado said:

*snip*

Took me 2mins to find it on eBay for £27

27 pounds is way too much!  The book is garbage as far as I can tell.  I met the author and he is an ass, like most ex cops are. 

• Haha 2

On 3/27/2013 at 11:11 PM, Barnabas C 605 said:

i have to say after listening to him twice on C2C, the stories he tells of all of these people that range into the hundreds and thousands that go missing with no explanation is frighting. The part about the government agency's who you would think would want to help him in his research are stonewalling him and makeing it hard as **** to get any information on the topic. The more he went into it the more creepy it got. I definitely want to read his books. I think this topic of where these people go, who's taking them, and why the feds and other agency's don't want to release information to this man is very interesting. Basically the things and facts he presented on coast to coast am could start going into all different area's especially when it comes to conspiracy theory's.

They do not stonewall him, the agencies do not have the manpower and he misrepresents the data.

13 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Here is a link to the forum UM has on the Dyatlov Pass Incident LINK.  Come have a look, there are over 400 entries presently.

Yup I know my post was from 2013 and the thread started in 2017.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

Yup I know my post was from 2013 and the thread started in 2017.

Sry, my bad.  I didn't look at the date.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:40 AM, Alchopwn said:

[..] I have to question how often people have gone looking for a missing 411 and wound up discovering someone esle's body.  It didn't come up in the literature.

There MIGHT be a case or two like that in the books. I know on a FB page some back-woods camper claimed HE found a body once. Assuming theses folks are not being beamed into another dimension*, it would follow there IS something out there to find.  For a while anyway. The soles of shoes and guns and clothing would be the last things that might remain after a decade or so.

*and I'm NOT assuming that

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the good posts in here, although I'm surprised some folks tend to dig into the author as opposed to talk about the events. To me, it is the events that are compelling - who cares who writes about them? Anyway, I see many people here have tuned in to C2C so you have heard David. The one account that really blew my cork that he told on C2C was the following:  (this is quite a while ago, I cannot remember names/location)

A man goes hiking alone and never comes back. Searchers look for him to no avail. Then, years go by. 

Another man goes hiking into really deep woods and way up in a tree, he sees a back pack and sneakers. So the hiker notifies officials on his return. Searchers go out and what they found was incredible.

Yes, the sneakers and back pack belonged to the missing man. But they found a pile of bones on the ground where no piece was bigger than a fingernail. The pants were lying underneath the bone fragment pile.

WT... hey????   What did somebody do, run him through the woodchipper? 

It makes no sense. They were in deep woods. No way to bring out a woodchipper. How does this happen?

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps