Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stealth bombers sent to S. Korea

Ashotep

You people fail to realize that the NK has nearly 10 million soldiers, including the reserves (which is most of the adult population). The NK Artillery has the ability to level Seoul before the SK can even respond. The south will be thrown on the defensive very quickly. Most likely they will abandon the Northern Portion of South Korea. mainly to set up a strong defensive line and await US and UN re-enforcement. Remember the UN has to respond in the defence of South Korea, hence why there is 'Korea Command'

It also has been proven that China's influence over NK is very limited. Considering the Chinese agreed to the sanctions. If the they did have control what is happening in NK wouldn't be happening.

~Thanato

the army has post ww2 weapons...and outdated, same with the airforce. Navy they have about 10 ships

I doubt that the N. Korean army, with the society it comes from, would be particularly effective; probably not, but destruction is much easier than construction. They could do a lot of damage to a wonderful nation; I'm holding my breath and very much hope if it comes to something along these lines that the Chinese interfere.

the army has post ww2 weapons...and outdated, same with the airforce. Navy they have about 10 ships

A bullet will kill you whether its fired from a state of the art rifle or an AK47. Artillery will still blow you up and the Navy wont play a big role other than providing air power.

• Like 1

Where exactly are you getting your info from?

A New Development:

North Korea readies rockets after U.S. show of force

By David Chance and Phil Stewart

SEOUL/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea put its missile units on standby on Friday to attack U.S. military bases in South Korea and the Pacific, after the United States flew two nuclear-capable stealth bombers over the Korean peninsula in a rare show of force.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un signed off on the order at a midnight meeting of top generals and "judged the time has come to settle accounts with the U.S. imperialists in view of the prevailing situation", the official KCNA news agency said.

KCNA said North Korea and the United States could only settle their differences by "physical means". The North has an arsenal of Soviet-era short-range Scud missiles that can hit South Korea but its longer-range Nodong and Musudan missiles, which could in theory hit U.S. Pacific bases, are untested.

China, the North's sole major ally, repeated its calls for restraint on the Korean peninsula at a regular Foreign Ministry briefing and made no criticism of the U.S. flights.

"We hope that relevant parties will work together in pushing for a turnaround of the tense situation," ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters.

Tension has been high since North Korea conducted a third nuclear weapons test in February in breach of U.N. sanctions and despite warnings from China for it not to do so.

From: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-readies-rockets-u-flies-stealth-bombers-020309202.html

Kim Jong-un must be extremely mentally ill to even be thinking about this...

• Like 2

Where exactly are you getting your info from?

Ah i miss read!! yeah they have alot of navy but most of them are patrol boats

Edited by The New Richard Nixon

The only way the North could hope to win a war of this sort would be with a surprise; all this grandstanding is hardly a way to carry out a surprise. Therefore one has to think that this is all a grandstand or bluff or some sort of temper tantrum.

Even if the South did not have the rest of the world on its side, just compare the two country's economies, populations, etc. I have to think this is just blackmail and some silly sort of face affair -- they know they could do a lot of harm before they were crushed. Still, it just seems so pointless. I think they could do so much better by being cooperative with the rest of the world.

• Like 2

Kim Jong-un is definitely not playing with a full deck and we all know what people like that are capable of doing. If he would shut his mouth and stop threatening to attack the South and us with nuclear weapons this wouldn't be happening.

• Like 2

Imagine his military capabilities if left alone for 10-15 years.

I hate war, but in this case I think it's best to take-out that moron regime NOW.

He already declared war on the US, so we have EVERY RIGHT to go ahead and kick his butt to hell.

• Like 1

Imagine his military capabilities if left alone for 10-15 years.

I hate war, but in this case I think it's best to take-out that moron regime NOW.

He already declared war on the US, so we have EVERY RIGHT to go ahead and kick his butt to hell.

He never declared war on the US, his Grandfather did.

The situation is: NK would overrun SK if the US was not involved. No other country would want to enter into that mess and fight a nuclear capable country to protect SK without US backing. The US is the only force deterring a NK attack. Why? Because the US has an essentially inexhaustible supply of military resources, and because NK has no hopes of occupying the US. They can hurt them, jab them in a few different areas, but they can not hope to actually inflict any true damage on the US homeland conventionally, and no way of knocking them out of the fight. The US is beyond their reach. As for the US & SK? NK Is within their reach. They can level the country conventionally. The problem with this is: Neither country has the necessary numbers nor money to occupy NK. The NK is indoctrinated to hate and oppose the "Imperialist US Aggressors". Attempting to occupy them would turn into an insurgent war that the US has no hope of succeeding in. Furthermore, I doubt NK would even let it get to that point. The minute Pyongyang falls will be the signal to use nukes. The North Koreans will have nothing to lose at that point. While they would probably be hesitant to open any hostilities with nukes due to the repercussions, I'm confident that they would use them as a last stand. So essentially, an occupation of NK would be out of the question for SK and US forces, I think. The next problem becomes this: The US and SK are bound by the Geneva Convention which, in this day and age, means they can't simply carpet bomb entire cities. The US and SK could inflict quite some damage on the NK military forces, but without being able to occupy the North and without being able to level the country, the North will simply be able to survive to fight another day.

What can the North accomplish, though? Well, I think they know that using a nuclear weapon will quickly result in their utter destruction. As long as they do not use a nuke, the war will be conventional. They'll be able, with their conventional forces (and not being bound by the Geneva conventions) to level Seoul within minutes, and inflict massive amounts of casualties on the SK and US forces. They'll even be able to gain some territory in the opening stages of the war, as I see it. If they are able to inflict enough damage to US & SK ground forces in the initial hostilities, enough to buy them time to gain some vital ground & reinforce it before US can bring in reinforcements, they may be able to hold on to that ground --- particularly if they occupy any built up areas. From this point, they can hope to hold out until SK and the US lose their will to fight. That's how I see the current situation.

So, to sum up:

1. NK has no ability to remove the US from the fight.

2. US & SK most likely lacks the will & ability to conquer or destroy the North

3. There is a possibility that NK gains territory & holds it.

4. NK will lose significant portions of their military.

5. US & SK will lose significant portions of their military as well. Less than the NK, but more expensive to replace than NK.

That's my view.

• Like 2

He never declared war on the US, his Grandfather did.

He didn't mean a formal declaration --- rather, he meant it as a "return to hostilities". The US/SK have been technically at war with NK since 1953. The armistice was a temporary cease in hostilities, but did not remove the status of "war". Hence, when Un cancelled the armistice, he essentially returned to hostilities.

• Like 2

After typing that, I realized potentially why the B-2 was sent over NK. As a reminder that NK cant touch the US.

Think about the sequence of events B-52s were flown out of Guam over SK. NK got angry and threatened US bases in Guam and Japan which, the US analysts agree, are possibly within range of NK missiles. Now a B-2, flown out of mainland US, reached SK and flew back to the US in one constant flight --- no need to land and refuel. Whether intentionally or not, what message does that send the north? "Even if you destroy all of our bases in Asia, we can still hit you, but you can't hit us."

• Like 1

It's best to be prepared but I don't think the US would forward deploy B2's unless they thought it was 100% necessary. If this keeps up I wouldn't be supprised if the US increases troop numbers in either SK or Japan in the coming months.

~Thanato

It wasn't a forward deployment. It was just a round-trip flight. Flexing a little muscle in the face of the crazy fat guy with the bad haircut.

Iraq who armed them... CIA/US to fight Iran....

When did the US start building/selling Type 59, Type 69, T-55, T-62, & T-72 tanks? They did have around 20 obslete M47 Pattons.

So, to sum up:

1. NK has no ability to remove the US from the fight.

2. US & SK most likely lacks the will & ability to conquer or destroy the North

3. There is a possibility that NK gains territory & holds it.

4. NK will lose significant portions of their military.

5. US & SK will lose significant portions of their military as well. Less than the NK, but more expensive to replace than NK.

That's my view.

I did some checking into what is known about the NK military and, frankly, I think it would be a slaughter. All they really have are numbers.

Without outside intervention, their air force would be decimated within hours - half their air fleet is still Korean War era MIGs. Their vaunted artillery and rocket battalions, while probably having some initial success, would systematically be taken out over the course of a few days. Their armored forces are laughable and not even that large - it would make what happened in Iraq in 1990 look tame by comparison. Navy - again, laughable. Their infantry? Well, they've got numbers and that's about all you can say for that. Command & Control, well, that's what the B2s are for.

In short, there would be some initial success and quite a bit of destruction in Seoul (but certainly not leveled as NK likes to claim), many thousands of civilian casualties in SK, but the tide would turn soon after and it would become a disaster for NK and could potentially be so bad that it would bring about reunification.

• Like 1

Yes

I did some checking into what is known about the NK military and, frankly, I think it would be a slaughter. All they really have are numbers.

Without outside intervention, their air force would be decimated within hours - half their air fleet is still Korean War era MIGs. Their vaunted artillery and rocket battalions, while probably having some initial success, would systematically be taken out over the course of a few days. Their armored forces are laughable and not even that large - it would make what happened in Iraq in 1990 look tame by comparison. Navy - again, laughable. Their infantry? Well, they've got numbers and that's about all you can say for that. Command & Control, well, that's what the B2s are for.

In short, there would be some initial success and quite a bit of destruction in Seoul (but certainly not leveled as NK likes to claim), many thousands of civilian casualties in SK, but the tide would turn soon after and it would become a disaster for NK and could potentially be so bad that it would bring about reunification.

There is no denying NK would lose but SK would be left in ruin and millions would die.

• Like 1

When did the US start building/selling Type 59, Type 69, T-55, T-62, & T-72 tanks? They did have around 20 obslete M47 Pattons.

They didn't and I never said they did. They can however buy them....

You think this is me talking conspiracy's don't you?

Just like the CIA training Al Qaeda... it's another fact that most people don't know cause they are too busy listening to the media's BS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_support_for_Iraq_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_war

Yes

There is no denying NK would lose but SK would be left in ruin and millions would die.

I'm not sure it would be that bad. I read a defense analysis a couple of weeks ago which analyzed the North's oft-heard claim that it could level Seoul with artillery and rocket barrages. In a nutshell, it simply can't. They could do a lot of damage and kill 20,000+, but hardly level the city.

Also keep in mind that South Korea also has one of the largest standing armies in the world and it is a modern army, with modern equipment. And they have been preparing for just such an invasion for 60+ years now. Add to that roughly 30,000 fully capable US forces in country, the ability to instantly deploy US Air Forces from Japan, the arrival of the US Pacific Fleet within just a few days of the invasion, and long range bombing forces from places like Guam and the US mainland within hours.

It would quickly become a tough row to hoe for the fat boy with the bad haircut.

• Like 1

And that's what having nuclear weapons is really all about. Being the boy with the biggest toys so if anything were to occur, all the President has to do is push a button and wipe out a nation of innocent people. That's not even what I'd call a war, that's what I call cowardice. Hiroshima springs to mind.

You can call it whatever you want. I hardly think anyone in charge of nuclear weapons cares what you call it.

I'm not sure it would be that bad. I read a defense analysis a couple of weeks ago which analyzed the North's oft-heard claim that it could level Seoul with artillery and rocket barrages. In a nutshell, it simply can't. They could do a lot of damage and kill 20,000+, but hardly level the city.

Also keep in mind that South Korea also has one of the largest standing armies in the world and it is a modern army, with modern equipment. And they have been preparing for just such an invasion for 60+ years now. Add to that roughly 30,000 fully capable US forces in country, the ability to instantly deploy US Air Forces from Japan, the arrival of the US Pacific Fleet within just a few days of the invasion, and long range bombing forces from places like Guam and the US mainland within hours.

It would quickly become a tough row to hoe for the fat boy with the bad haircut.

South Korea might have Technology and about 2+ million troops but the North out numbers them. In a conventional War numbers still play a big role on the ground. You can have the best machine gun in the world but if you run out of bullets you got scrap metal.

~Thanato

The same was said about Iraq, same-ish weapons, ripped to shreds by the coalition airforce in the 1st gulf war

If this clears anything up...

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

Before the order can be processed by the military, the President must be positively identified using a special code issued on a plastic card, nicknamed the "biscuit".[4] The United States has a two-man rule in place and, while only the President can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense (there is a hierarchy of succession in the event that the President has been killed in an attack).[4] Once all the codes have been verified, the military would issue attack orders to the proper units. These orders are given and then re-verified for authenticity.

The football is carried by one of the rotating presidential military aides, whose work schedule is described by a top-secret rota (one from each of the five service branches). They are occasionally physically attached to the briefcase via a security cable around the wrist. This person is a commissioned officer in the U.S. military, pay-grade O-4 or above, who has undergone the nation's most rigorous background check (Yankee White).[5] These armed officers are required to keep the football readily accessible to the President at all times. Consequently, an aide, football in hand, is always either standing or walking near the President or riding in Air Force One, Marine One, or the presidential motorcade with the President.

There are three such "footballs" in existence. The first travels with the President, a spare is kept at the White House, and the third is with the Vice President.[3]

For those younger folks that havent been taught much about it heres an hour documentary about the Korean War of the 1950's. If you enjoy real history/from the western perspective.

• Like 1