Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the "Bishop of Rome" Ignoring Too Much?

and-then

http://www.telegraph...y-Thursday.html

He lives in a simple apartment, calls himself the bishop of Rome, not the pope, and now he's washing the feet of a Muslim? The last act is the strangest to me. Before the yammering begins let me finish - it is a VERY Christ like act to wash the feet of sinners, even enemies, maybe especially enemies, but what message does it send? Is his intent to make the church even more ecumenical? The previous pope drew a clear line on this while being respectful of Islam he in no way accepted it as a religion which worships the same God as the Bible. Okay...let the beatings begin...but let's please be respectful.

BTW I am not catholic, nor do I intend to offend anyone.

• Like 1

http://www.telegraph...y-Thursday.html

He lives in a simple apartment, calls himself the bishop of Rome, not the pope, and now he's washing the feet of a Muslim? The last act is the strangest to me. Before the yammering begins let me finish - it is a VERY Christ like act to wash the feet of sinners, even enemies, maybe especially enemies, but what message does it send? Is his intent to make the church even more ecumenical? The previous pope drew a clear line on this while being respectful of Islam he in no way accepted it as a religion which worships the same God as the Bible. Okay...let the beatings begin...but let's please be respectful.

BTW I am not catholic, nor do I intend to offend anyone.

Hi 'and then'

As a Roman Catholic I see nothing other than the Pope showing humilty by washing the feet of offenders in prison... nothing more nothing less.

• Like 3

As a Roman Catholic I see nothing other than the Pope showing humilty by washing the feet of offenders in prison... nothing more nothing less.

As a Catholic maybe you can answer a question for me. Let me preface this by saying that I mean no disrespect; why is there so much publicity concerning the Pope choosing to live a modest life? I was always under the impression that it was expected of monks/clergymen/Popes to live a life of humility and avoid lavish things, etc.

• Like 1

As a Catholic maybe you can answer a question for me. Let me preface this by saying that I mean no disrespect; why is there so much publicity concerning the Pope choosing to live a modest life? I was always under the impression that it was expected of monks/clergymen/Popes to live a life of humility and avoid lavish things, etc.

From what I see of Priests, they do live a humble life. My Parish priest has no car and lives on a very small allowance and this applies to all Priests. I think the impression from the Vatican with it's wealth, pomp and ceremony this has always given it a bad profile. Pope Francis is living the life of a normal Priest and not elevating himself to the status of other Popes. This can only be a good thing.

• Like 2

Just wanted to add 'and then' the Jesuits are famous for 'ecumenical dialogue' so no big surprise there!

• Like 2

I reckon the RC Church finally realised it needed to change, and make amends, so they elected a Pontiff who walked the walk rather than just talking the talk. He has his work cut out for him.

• Like 3

As has been noted, this new Pope is a Jesuit. Their vow is to serve, there will be no love of material trappings from this Pope.

As to the wealth of the Vatican itself. We need to consider how much of this is through the presence of priceless relics and artworks that have been cared for by the custodians within the church for centuries. The truth is these are not saleable items, they belong to all our heritage and the Vatican actually spends quite alot of money to maintain these priceless artworks for the benefit of all mankind. We would all be deeply offended if they did less than give these the utmost care. It is a huge responsibility unless of course, we don't care if Da Vinci's Sistine Chapel ceiling bites the dust etc.

Edited to say, I beg pardon it is Michael Angelo that is responsible for the works of the Sistine Chapel :blush:

What is within the coffers of the Vatican Bank on the other hand .... well perhaps Pope Francis' admonition that the church should not seek riches will have an impact on any monetary hoarding they may have indulged in the past, time will tell.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

Just wanted to add 'and then' the Jesuits are famous for 'ecumenical dialogue' so no big surprise there!

I guess the reason it bothers me is that there is a new movement growing in the church in general that is referred to as "Chrislam". It is a move to combine worship services of Muslims and Christians and it smacks of political correctness gone amuck. I meant no disrespect to the pope. I just worry that his actions will fuel this movement and I think of it as apostasy. As to his denial of self and willingness to live a life of ultimate service I greatly respect him for it.
  • Like 1

I guess the reason it bothers me is that there is a new movement growing in the church in general that is referred to as "Chrislam". It is a move to combine worship services of Muslims and Christians and it smacks of political correctness gone amuck. I meant no disrespect to the pope. I just worry that his actions will fuel this movement and I think of it as apostasy. As to his denial of self and willingness to live a life of ultimate service I greatly respect him for it.

Hi 'and then'

I didn't find your post disrespectful, in fact you always show great respect :yes: I grew up around the Jesuits and have a great respect for them. Did you know when Pope Francis realised that he had been chosen to be the next Pontiff some of the Cardinals teased him and said "take the name Pope Clement XV, to counter Clement XIV who suppressed the Jesuit order in 1773". Funny how things turn out!

I wouldn't be concerned about 'Chrislam.' Here is a little bit of information on the Jesuit's and their 'interreligious dialogue and ecumenical outreach'

The Jesuits In September, Jesuits from around the World came together to Rome to meet with Father General Adolfo Nicolás about the ever evolving issue of interreligious dialogue and ecumenical outreach. Jesuit Father Thomas Rausch, the T. Marie Chilton Professor of Catholic Theology at Loyola Marymount University attended this meeting, and offered his reflections to National Jesuit News on the issues facing today’s Society and the future of interreligious dialogue.

http://www.jesuit.or...ty-jesuit-says/

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1